You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to deal with my Son?

My 16 year old Son is really srtuggling with a form of taget panic.
    He holds low and cant seem to get the pin up on the X.
    So now he is getting to the point where when the pin crosses the X he hammers it like NOW! Which dosent do him any good either!
    I have posted a couple times on another forum and have had him read it.
    I am now at my wits end attempting to help.
    He gets mad of course with his shooting.....and when I try to say a couple words to help it makes matters worse. Frankly I am to the point I wish he would walk away from archery and do something else in life.
    How does a guy deal with a 16 year old that just dosent want the help, yet is ticked off with himself and archery?
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR Black/Snow limbs
    2013 Bear Method

Archery should be about fellowship. It is easy to get caught up in the instruction mode, then the fun goes away. Tell him to relax and try to remember what he does when the arrow hits the mark. Trying to perfect every shot turns fun into frustration.

A person must be ready to learn, before teaching can occur..

I occasionally have students come to me who are not yet ready to learn, you just have to let it go and hope that one day they will be ready.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtrail1 View Post
    So now he is getting to the point where when the pin crosses the X he hammers it like NOW! Which dosent do him any good either!
    He gets mad of course with his shooting.....and when I try to say a couple words to help it makes matters worse. Frankly I am to the point I wish he would walk away from archery and do something else in life.
    How does a guy deal with a 16 year old that just dosent want the help, yet is ticked off with himself and archery?
    Does he have a person in Archery that he Idolizes? If so see if you can find some articles that they have written about it or see if you can contact them in anyway. Being 16 is tough cause you think you know everything and dont need any help.
    Jame

has he tried blank bailing at like 10yds with no target. If not. Have him shoot at a target with no spot or x on it. Do it for a week. No exceptions... the mental thing and timer is something he's got to break! Then after the week is up. And make sure he shoots every day for at least 20 minutes. Put a single X target or spot up. So there is one one spot to concentrate on. and have him shoot every day at single spot for a week. Then move back to 15 yds and do the same and ect...... in 5 yd increments.....Once he gets to a point where he's getting target panic again. Take the target away. and start over.... another way is to maybe switch release styles up. If he shoots a caliper style release try and thumb trigger style. Archery is a sport that takes alot of patience. and for some is not the sport for them ! Good luck to him !
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

He has worked some blind bailing........shot some with a sight that had no pin in the housing......But alot of the problem as of right now unfortunatly is the time of season! Our bow season opens this coming Saturday and my Son I think is feeling really pressured to try to get things better.
    Some guys on other forums have said that they suffer from the same form of target panic as he, but when hunting it goes away. They think focusing on the animal and not a spot/X.......helps them. And being caught up in the moment of the hunt they pull off the sequence and shot.
    If we had 2 months to season it would be nice for him, but we dont.
    And Im not about to tell him to scratch his season........I can only hope that if he gets a chance at a deer that he shoots well and puts the arrow where it needs to be! After season he will have a long fall-winter to work on this.
    I would like to find him a coach locally that maybe I can pay for him to have some lessons/coaching from and get him past this!
    He will shoot ok one day.....then the next day he really struggles......
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2013 Bear Method

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    Does he have a person in Archery that he Idolizes? If so see if you can find some articles that they have written about it or see if you can contact them in anyway. Being 16 is tough cause you think you know everything and dont need any help.
    Jame
    And thats alot of my problems!
    He is 16 and does think he knows more than he really does about life.
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2013 Bear Method

He has worked some blind bailing........shot some with a sight that had no pin in the housing......But alot of the problem as of right now unfortunatly is the time of season! Our bow season opens this coming Saturday and my Son I think is feeling really pressured to try to get things better.
    Some guys on other forums have said that they suffer from the same form of target panic as he, but when hunting it goes away. They think focusing on the animal and not a spot/X.......helps them. And being caught up in the moment of the hunt they pull off the sequence and shot.
    If we had 2 months to season it would be nice for him, but we dont.
    And Im not about to tell him to scratch his season........I can only hope that if he gets a chance at a deer that he shoots well and puts the arrow where it needs to be! After season he will have a long fall-winter to work on this.
    I would like to find him a coach locally that maybe I can pay for him to have some lessons/coaching from and get him past this!
    He will shoot ok one day.....then the next day he really struggles......
    try getting him a animal paper target to practice on.. maybe take him out and set up a tree stand with the target about 10 yds away. Even a 3d deer target to simulate a real situation....... See if that will make him forget so much on the spot.. some times it can be as simple as shooting at something different.... yes he will be ok. some times its real hard for youths.... since they dont have alot of patience and get frustrated easily. but when thet get older it will only make them stronger.....
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Pressure is asking 5 days before the season opens versus getting help 2 months ago.

I would try to find one of the better coaches in Wisconsin that can help him learn how to make archery fun and accurate in your sons own way.
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    Pressure is asking 5 days before the season opens versus getting help 2 months ago.

I would try to find one of the better coaches in Wisconsin that can help him learn how to make archery fun and accurate in your sons own way.
    He shoots year round........and I have been attempting to help for a long time.
    Mentioned about how I had outside help willing to help and he is/was apprehensive about it. But over the winter I will try to get him convinced of letting someone help him.
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2013 Bear Method

I use to have that same problem, holding below the target and not being able to lift the site up. Then, I learned to bend slightly at the hip, the bow arm automatically rises. This works for me, but is probably all wrong, as I am no expert.

My son had the same problem and is a little hard headed dont know where he gets it LOL I just made sure he was holding his hand open as to not torque the bow and his hand was is the same spot at full draw and left him alone with it sometimes being wacthed while learning causes panic he will get

jmanarcher

Default target panic

I know what your son is going through, i:ve been there myself. But have him to stand about 10 ft away from the target, and forget about bullseye, shoot for about a week blind-folded, and focus on aiming. if that dont work,there is a release out there called the ANSWER, Hope this helps. jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Pinwheel1969 View Post
    try getting him a animal paper target to practice on.. maybe take him out and set up a tree stand with the target about 10 yds away. Even a 3d deer target to simulate a real situation....... See if that will make him forget so much on the spot.. some times it can be as simple as shooting at something different.... yes he will be ok. some times its real hard for youths.... since they dont have alot of patience and get frustrated easily. but when thet get older it will only make them stronger.....
    He has been shooting out of a stand and on the ground at our 3-D deer as well as Rinehart block type of target.
    He has been shooting alot at 20 yards......maybe I will have him stick to 10 yards and only that for awhile and see what happens.....
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2013 Bear Method

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

My #1 rule, is NEVER COACH FAMILY. I'll offer some occasional guidance, if they ask me to watch out for something, but as a rule, I just don't go there.

I will say that a video camera is a great training tool.

Set it up and let him shoot while recording. Have him review the tape and each shot have him find one thing he did well and one thing he can improve upon.

Sometimes you just have to see it for yourself.
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Blank bale shooting alone probably isn't going to do him any good. It can help with physical form issues but it has little to do with the mental game. What he needs is to rebuild his mental shot sequence from the ground up. It's really not that difficult, but as Javi said, he must be willing to do it. You want a simple, solid mental program and he must follow it to the letter - no exceptions. A different, unfamiliar style of release can help, but without the proper technique he will fall into the same bad habits. It's better to start working on this sooner than later, it isn't going to go away on it's own. I don't see any reason why he would have to skip bowhunting as long as he is working on his new program. I'm not sure what part of the state you live in, but I'm in Janesville. I'd be more than happy to spend a little time with him if you think it would help.

Mark
    Don't worry what people think... They don't do it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Blank bale shooting alone probably isn't going to do him any good. It can help with physical form issues but it has little to do with the mental game. What he needs is to rebuild his mental shot sequence from the ground up. It's really not that difficult, but as Javi said, he must be willing to do it. You want a simple, solid mental program and he must follow it to the letter - no exceptions. A different, unfamiliar style of release can help, but without the proper technique he will fall into the same bad habits. It's better to start working on this sooner than later, it isn't going to go away on it's own. I don't see any reason why he would have to skip bowhunting as long as he is working on his new program. I'm not sure what part of the state you live in, but I'm in Janesville. I'd be more than happy to spend a little time with him if you think it would help.

Mark
    We are in the Stoughton area.....not far from you......
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2013 Bear Method

Welcome to the site Mark

Hopefully you guys can hook up.

Jeff

We are in the Stoughton area.....not far from you......
    I don;t know if you ever met Mark or his son but I wish you the best you will be in good hands for coaching and help, Have fun with it and in time if your son has the desire, both of you will have many great days on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

Mark
    Sent you a PM.....
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2013 Bear Method