You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtrail1 View Post
    We are in the Stoughton area.....not far from you......
    Cool. Are you members at the Conservation Club? My son and I shoot out of Beloit Field Archers. Let me know if you want to shoot together sometime.

JDX: I thought that was you.
    Don't worry what people think... They don't do it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Cool. Are you members at the Conservation Club? My son and I shoot out of Beloit Field Archers. Let me know if you want to shoot together sometime.

JDX: I thought that was you.
    Ya, I am a member of the Stoughton Conservation Club.........
    2009 Elite XLR Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR Black/Snow limbs
    2013 Bear Method

It seems that a child at any age will react the same way to their parents when they try to give them advice or any help on improving their skills at any type of activity. I have twin 13year old boys and they do the same to me. Whether it is with baseball or their archery. It always works better to get them professional lessons. They tend to listen better to someone else. Talk to your local archery shop for recommendations on were he can take lessons. Also, you might want to look into getting him a no punch release, that is what my boys used for awhile to get out of that habit. Now one of them uses the back tension release all the time.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Default good luck wit a 16yr old

one of the things i did to work with my son on the pin drop was tack balloons of different sizes to the target that we use and have a lot of patience.It finaly worked he is shooting a 1 inch group at 20 yds. it gives a young one a little more to look at also when he shoots against me we bet a dollar a shot.it can be fun.he does just as well as i do now.

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

I cant shoot spots worth a durn, but give me a deer sillouette on my block 4x4 heart shots all day long. Maybe aiming at a given area will be better than a specific target. put up a 10" paper plate and just tell him to hit it, hit it anywhere, then when hes good at it move to an 8" and so on and so forth.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Can not and would not give any advise on your son. However, for the target panic, I might have an idea. Most people shoot holding their breath, helps with aiming, I do it too. Actually most people exhale after drawing and then hold their breath. After drawing, and when the aiming process begins, have him take in about half a breath and hold it. Chest expands, shoulders and arm raise up.
    I have this same problem from time to time, just CAN NOT get that arm up. This was my solution. Hope it helps

Well I'm jealous! My 18 year old has no desire to hunt or target shoot at all. Bought and sold 3 bows for him over the years. No interest sparked. The few times he shot, fought my advice every step o the way. You're lucky to have a shared interest. Enjoy!

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoMaestro View Post
    After drawing, and when the aiming process begins, have him take in about half a breath and hold it. Chest expands, shoulders and arm raise up.
    RIGHT ON!

Most folks that learn to shoot firearms first, get the breathing cycle for archery backwards
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.