You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Archer

Default Would you Shoot!

Is this Deer too small in Your Opinon?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

jim

Sounds like the quality of deer in your area isn't the best. May be due to many taking an animal this size. Personally I would not take it but that's me.
    You have to make that call my friend. He does present a good shot though

Old Archer

Yes Sir,

You hit on the head! Last year we had several like this in the area. I wonder if any of them survived, or where just blasted for the meat value. On Oct 1st
    08 I had four of these guys under my stand. The bigest was a three pointer, they all survived on my lands. But I'm not sure what the folks down the road did. I wonder if a litlle solicatation on Letem go so they can grow would work or not!. What you think? I would rather take a big healthy doe than shoot a buck before he can make something for himself! Just one Ole guys opinion!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Default Honestly

No I would not shoot this deer. I would harvest a doe and let this buck grow.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Old Archer

Angry

As I stated in my first reply, Yes I would rather take a big Doe and let this Deer have a chance to become a nice deer for someone to harvest in three or four years. But then there is the question why do so many people take them!

Default I can still show my first buck

Quote Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
    As I stated in my first reply, Yes I would rather take a big Doe and let this Deer have a chance to become a nice deer for someone to harvest in three or four years. But then there is the question why do so many people take them!
    He was about this size. I thought I had a trophy. Some folks just choose the brown its down saying. There not interested in horns.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default Around here, yeah!

Here in western NC, that's a pretty big deer. In my county, only 346 bucks were harvested last year out of 409 total. Most folks here would take the shot. You'd have to go about 200 miles east of here to find a place where you'd pass on that one.

jim

Here in western NC, that's a pretty big deer. In my county, only 346 bucks were harvested last year out of 409 total. Most folks here would take the shot. You'd have to go about 200 miles east of here to find a place where you'd pass on that one.
    Today 01:19 AM
    Many of us forget or don't realize how fortunate we are to live in area's that produce nice deer. We can afford to let animals pass that many would not hesitate to harvest. This is where each of us have to remember to not push our standards on others. Any animal taken by fair chase, especially with a bow is a trophy

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Yes, I would pass it unless it was coming down to the last day and the freezer was empty. I'd rather take a doe than one like that. I have a neighbor & his friends that would & do though. Example, saw a 3pt. on my place - actually saw him the same day I took that 8pt last year. Come gun season that 3pt. was on the ground - didn't surprise me at all; actually I bet myself it wouldn't make it through the season. It just depends your situation - take whatever makes you happy.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I'm lucky enough to get two buck tags, if one was'nt filled yet, I just might take him if given a good shot senario. No doubt he will be shot or shot at during SG season here. I also would'nt blame someone for taking him if it's their first or was just interested in meat. I would'nt object to a minimum antler law here, but untill that happens, their all SG targets here. Nothing seems to be off limits.
    FBSA Member

if I was hungry he would be in trouble, but if I had meat in the freezer he would live another day.

Quote Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
    What were the other 63 Deer? MNGT has to start somewhere. Around 20 years ago or so there were not many deer around here at all. A big buck was not heard of. Now that MNGT is going on and people are catching on we are growing some pretty awesome bucks. You cant expect anyone to change if you are not changed. Spread the word. I guarantee you that it can get alot better for you and your area. My area sure has gotten to be awesome and I live in SE OK.

I would pass, but we have lots of big deer where I live. I have been told many times that you should never pass on the first day a deer that you would shoot on the last day. Last year I ignored that advice and passed on a small 8 point only to shoot a 5 point on the last day. In the end it is all up to the person pulling the bow. In PA we have antler restrictions, buck must have 3 points on one side just to be legal and in some parts of the state they must have 4 points on one side. I often wonder if the gov. mandating how many points a buck must have is the best way to institute QDM, But then I think of the gov. getting more involved in hunting and i just cringe. Best of luck with whatever you decide and how knows maybe a stole down the street will pay off, never know until you ask.

Default Very well said Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
    Many of us forget or don't realize how fortunate we are to live in area's that produce nice deer. We can afford to let animals pass that many would not hesitate to harvest. This is where each of us have to remember to not push our standards on others. Any animal taken by fair chase, especially with a bow is a trophy
    Trophy in the eyes of the hunter. Actually we dont have to shoot for a trophy. Many hunt for the meat. Each has a choice and I support ever hunter.
    DB

First month of bow season, probably not. Last month, yes. I prefer a doe to a small buck.

There are too many people in I know that would take that deer. Any they complain about not seeing good bucks. Well If you kill young ones you will never see any good ones.

I passed up on a Good 8 point last year. The bow I was shooting I did not feel confident I was going to get a sure kill. I just watched him until he dissapeared. I fell good about the choice I made. I will do my best to make the most vital shot possible. If there is a 50/50 chance I cannot make the shot I will wait.

Now there are people that would have taken the shot and would have 50/50 chance of getting him. My buddy is one of them he told me that he has seen several shooter bucks every time he said he saw one of those bucks he hurried up for the shot. He just get angry with me when I tell him to let the deer walk if the shot is not there he does not understand. He has been hunting all his life and has never killed a 8 point or better. I have shot 3 so far. This is not the intent to brag the point is making the right decision and being calm. Every time he saw a good deer he told me he had to shoot or the deer was getting away.

On the question about shooting the deer? Yes I would have taken the shot for my first buck, Now I would let him walk and take some video.
    Last edited by Breck; 09-09-2009 at 08:20 PM.

It depends.

If Im hunting northern Michigan on State land and it's my only spot to hunt? then heck yeah Id shoot him.

If Im hunting on a large Private farm in Southern Michigan that holds many deer and we can let bucks pass with a good chance of them making another year? then no I would not shoot him.

Ive been on both sides of the fence. Growing up If I saw a deer I considerd it a fantastic hunt. Now if I dont see a 2 year old buck I get bummed out.

Try hunting on State land and not seeing a single deer for 3 years in a row! Then tell me you wouldnt shoot that deer?? Im blessed to have a great farm to hunt with a great QDM program in place now days. But I havent forgotton my state land brothers I cut my teeth with.
    Last edited by jdawg240; 09-09-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Old Archer

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your responses, for the most part in one way or another if you read between the lines of each reply, I have come to realize that we all think alike or very close. And I would be happy to have any of you in my Deer Camp some time. Yes! the shot angle for me was not a problem, it was the type but more about the quality of Deer. For Almost five years I have not taken a Buck from that property, planting food plots and doing what I can do to help in a very small way create better healthy deer in Michigan. My only hope is that the sightings of two twelve point bucks last year will help fuel the fires of QDMA in my area. How's the arguement go, Bigger Deer, Healther Deer, thats should mean bigger and tastier back straps in the Freeezer! Amen!

Oh, yea fried backstraps nothing better.

Old Archer

Thumbs up

And Please and Mushrooms and Onions to mine sautated in Butter MMMMM!