You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Qdm

Default Qdm

In pa we have antler restrictions that say that if it has less than 3 points on one side it must be tagged with a doe tag. Although I hate to let the gov. have any more say in what i do I am thinking that this may be the best way to QDM. What do you think?

you need to read up on your rules. less than 3 pts on both sides is a non shooter, no matter what tag you have, unless you have a jr license, in which case there are no antler restrictions but you must use a buck tag

i just went and checked the book. a doe tag may be used on a buck if each antler is 3" or less. 3" not 3 pts. in most of pa. a buck must have at least 3pts on 1 side to be legal. where i hunt (wmu 2d) the min. is 4pts on 1 side. it's always advisable to read that rule book you get with your license. those game wardens aren't too forgiving and the fines can be pretty hefty

Thank you for correcting me, you are correct about it needing to have less than 3 inches to be tagged as a doe and I do realize that parts of western PA have a 4 point on one side rule but I can guarantee you that in most of the state 3 points on one side is a totally 100% legal buck. I hunt south east and north central PA so everywhere I hunt has a 3 point on 1 side minimum and I would not shoot at any thing with less. As I have read the booklet I can tell you that the reason for the antler restriction is qdm.
    The point of this thread was to see what people think about state regulated QDM " not to pick apart each others posts". As you live in a place that I think may be a little stiff on restrictions maybe you would care to give an opinion on the topic.

I think the 3 point restriction is great. People say they don't see as many deer but that's because the state changed how they did there doe harvest to get the deer populations down. The only bad thing I see in a long term effect is genetics. A 2 1/2 year old buck with a 6 or 8 point will be shot with good genetics but a 2 1/2 year old with a 4 point rack will stay a live another year to spread is bad genetics around. Since PA has went to 3 points on a side we have shot a lot better bucks then we use to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

sorry if you think i was just trying to pick you apart. that wasn't my intention. i just thought that maybe you got a hold of some bad info and i was trying to help you avoid any trouble. as for the QDM, i think it's working great. i hunt in jefferson county, just south of I-80, and we have the 4pt on one side rule. i've seen more and bigger bucks in the last 3yrs than the previous 20. a lot less spikes and 4pts in the butchershop also. letting them grow up a little seems to have worked.