You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Archery with your shotgun

There has to be a limit. But now that many states accept crossbows why not allow shotguns. Hey remington calls it archery! What a bunch of crap.

NEW Remington 870, Product number 25152, Equipped with Airrow`s NEW 2009 Archery Barrel for Remington Shotguns. Barrel length is - 21" and shoots the 2512 / 16" fletched arrow to - 470 fps. Archery barrels are also available for Remington 1100 and 1187`s. Complete gun comes with both; Skeet and Full choke tubes. Buyer to pay a fixed shipping and insurance charge of - $30.00. Only 10 guns will be sold in 2008. Arrows and Blanks are available and are in stock. Will email additional pictures on request. Archery Barrels Only - Are available for customer supplied barrels 18"- 24" lengths - Retail price for achery barrel insert only is $379.00 __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________ Archery with your Remington Shotgun - Drop in archery barrel will shoot 16" fletched arrows to 470 FPS, delivers 150FT. LBS.of energy, twice the power of standard archery equipment. Accuracy is under 1" at 50 YDS. For additional specifications and pictures see web site - swivelmachine.com - This item is New and factory packaged. Personal checks must clear before shipping. - NOTE- This archery barrel was custom built using 416 stainless steel. Manufactured by Swivel Machine, Inc. Builders of high performance archery equipment for the past 18 years. - Buyer may order additional Airrow parts ( arrows / blanks ) with no additional shipping charges. Will not sell or ship complete gun to California.....We will ship archery barrels to California.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I've seen it before, I think it's pretty cool honestly.

Is it archery? No.

Should it be considered archery? Heck no.

Would I hunt w/ it? No.

Would it be a blast to play w/? Yes!
    Be good or be good at it.

Default Why is not archery?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post

Is it archery? No.

Would I hunt w/ it? No.

Its shooting an arrow? How about his
    Click on link.
    http://tac15.com/
    DB
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 09-11-2009 at 02:21 PM.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

archery

Main Entry: ar·chery
    Pronunciation: \ˈär-chə-rē\
    Function: noun
    Date: 15th century
    1 : the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow

That's Webster definition of archery. The Remington 870 "archery" barrel fires an arrow from a shotgun barrel, not a system of strings, cables, limbs, or cams.

As far as the pse tac-15, it's a crossbow. not remotely the same as the Remington 870 model. It uses the lower assembly only from the AR, all crossbows have a stock and trigger.

Default Where does crossbow work in that definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Red View Post
    archery

Main Entry: AR·Chery
    Pronunciation: \ˈär-chə-rē\
    Function: noun
    Date: 15th century
    1 : the art, practice, or skill of shooting with bow and arrow

That's Webster definition of archery. The Remington 870 "archery" barrel fires an arrow from a shotgun barrel, not a system of strings, cables, limbs, or cams.

As far as the pse tac-15, it's a crossbow. not remotely the same as the Remington 870 model. It uses the lower assembly only from the AR, all crossbows have a stock and trigger.

Crossbows are in that definition.
    DB

Is it archery? No.

Would I hunt w/ it? No.

yep! I heard there is a cross bow attachment for an AR-15... I'd love to play with that!
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

jim

I don't understand today's thinking. This is not archery - if anyone feels it
    is and pushes for it to be included in the primitive archery season (and they
    will sooner or later). The primitive season many of us know will no longer
    exist

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Crossbows are in that definition.
    DB
    I never said that crossbows weren't archery.

There has to be a limit. But now that many states accept crossbows why not allow shotguns. Hey remington calls it archery! What a bunch of crap.

NEW Remington 870, Product number 25152, Equipped with Airrow`s NEW 2009 Archery Barrel for Remington Shotguns. Barrel length is - 21" and shoots the 2512 / 16" fletched arrow to - 470 fps. Archery barrels are also available for Remington 1100 and 1187`s. Complete gun comes with both; Skeet and Full choke tubes. Buyer to pay a fixed shipping and insurance charge of - $30.00. Only 10 guns will be sold in 2008. Arrows and Blanks are available and are in stock. Will email additional pictures on request. Archery Barrels Only - Are available for customer supplied barrels 18"- 24" lengths - Retail price for achery barrel insert only is $379.00 __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________ Archery with your Remington Shotgun - Drop in archery barrel will shoot 16" fletched arrows to 470 FPS, delivers 150FT. LBS.of energy, twice the power of standard archery equipment. Accuracy is under 1" at 50 YDS. For additional specifications and pictures see web site - swivelmachine.com - This item is New and factory packaged. Personal checks must clear before shipping. - NOTE- This archery barrel was custom built using 416 stainless steel. Manufactured by Swivel Machine, Inc. Builders of high performance archery equipment for the past 18 years. - Buyer may order additional Airrow parts ( arrows / blanks ) with no additional shipping charges. Will not sell or ship complete gun to California.....We will ship archery barrels to California.

I would shoot them both and have fun doing it.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

Default Didnt say you did!

I never said that crossbows weren't archery.
    I said crossbows are bows that having a locking device like guns.
    DB

If you have arm or shoulder issues it would be fine with me. Might as well just use a rifle in archery season. I agree with Daniel Boone.

BUNCH OF CRAP

I said crossbows are bows that having a locking device like guns.
    DB
    When did I dispute that? Crossbows have been in existence since medieval times or before. Long before the arrival of firearms, nothing new. Pretty sure they used a mechanism to lock back the string way back when at its invention.

I don't even know why crossbows were even brought up in comparison to the 870 barrel mod.? They are not the same thing period.

Just because Remington or whoever it is that manufactures these things calls it archery, doesn't mean that it is or that your DNR will see it that way either.

I can see your point, not sure you're understanding mine.

We will have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRed; 09-12-2009 at 02:23 AM.

Default Fair enough

When did I dispute that? Crossbows have been in existence since medieval times or before. Long before the arrival of firearms, nothing new. Pretty sure they used a mechanism to lock back the string way back when at its invention.

I don't even know why crossbows were even brought up in comparison to the 870 barrel mod.? They are not the same thing period.

Just because Remington or whoever it is that manufactures these things calls it archery, doesn't mean that it is or that your DNR will see it that way either.

I can see your point, not sure you're understanding mine.

We will have to agree to disagree.
    My thoughts are where do you stop with crossows in archery. Todays crossbos are more like guns. The manufactuers wnt stop and now you see Remington is darn sure going to push this weapon. Assault crossbows Garantee you will see a 600fps second crossbow in the future. Just give an inch and they want a mile.
    DB

Sure is a great way to get away with poaching IMO. I think its a bunch of crap for sure. Crossbows I am ok with as long as it is needed by the hunter. If not then use a bow.

Default Jame

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    Sure is a great way to get away with poaching IMO. I think its a bunch of crap for sure. Crossbows I am ok with as long as it is needed by the hunter. If not then use a bow.
    We are one of the few states that have recurve hunitng only special hunts.

I see nothing worng with this at all.

Often wonder if we should see more of going to other way on archery. Something rewarding about harvesting a deer with a recurve.

Of course todays recurves aint like grandpas recurves as well.
    DB

jim

The county's sportsman club in this area (huge club, over 600 members) are divided between bow hunters and black powder hunters fighting over why the BP hunters don't get to hunt the entire archery - or at least extending BP season.
    There's been a riff with the crossbows as well, not as bad but it's been made.
    Agreed, crossbows have been around since medival times. Like bows of today, they have gotten so advanced that neither take long to go from novice to a good shot.
    Up until last year, I shot a homemade selfbow cut from an osage orange treeline on the farm. I would still be using it if I could hold at full draw for just a couple seconds. Due to cervical surgery and a failed fusion, I went to a modern Hoyt (used, 05 model) but modern to me. Had I not made the switch, I would of given up actual hunting.
    I do each year compound bows, crossbows and muzzleloader bp guns are advancing themselves (eventually) out of being primitive weapons but that's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions

Hey remington calls it archery-! What a bunch of crap.
    No, it has nothing to do with Remington, and Remington is not calling it archery. Instead it is an after market up fit made by Swivel. It's actually been around for quite a few years...

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Furthermore, the manufacturer is making no effort to have their product used during archery hunting season. Following is a direct quote from their website: "Airrow’s new system is a piece of precision archery equipment, but it is not intended by its manufacturer to supplant conventional archery equipment. It has always been Airrow’s intent that their product would be classified as a firearm."

As for crossbows...they were archery equipment long before guns and even compound bows were invented. All of the major archery sanctioning bodies (NAA, NFAA, FITA, and the ATA) recognize crossbows, and include a division for them in their events.
    Last edited by Record Keeper; 09-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.

My issue is about people using a crossbow not the shotgun.

I was at the range today and there were a few fellows brought their crossbows. One of them had a older model Hoytt he was shooting he was having Issues sighting in his bow. Finally got it shooting good the he went to make a adjustment and he messed up the settings. He was getting fustrated and the other guy's said just get a cross bow and be done with it. Then they were taking about how accurate they were how they can hit a bottlecap at 20 yards. Man how hard can that be with a scope.

If you are handicaped and cannot pull back a bow then the crossbow is for you.

Seems like a lot of people do not want to work for it. They just want a scope on everything so there is no effort involved.

Bunch of lardasses. Hell lets just put some land mines on the food plot.
    Last edited by Breck; 09-12-2009 at 07:01 PM.

My little huntin buddy Josh_Putman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Hell lets just put some land mines on the food plot.
    Or some claymore's around the perimeter.

Better keep this quiet or some goofball will actually try it.
    Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidity.

The greatest thing I had accomplished in my life was serving my country, until I became a dad.

Default Doesnt matter

Quote Originally Posted by Record Keeper View Post
    No, it has nothing to do with Remington, and Remington is not calling it archery. Instead it is an after market up fit made by Swivel. It's actually been around for quite a few years...

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Furthermore, the manufacturer is making no effort to have their product used during archery hunting season. Following is a direct quote from their website: "Airrow’s new system is a piece of precision archery equipment, but it is not intended by its manufacturer to supplant conventional archery equipment. It has always been Airrow’s intent that their product would be classified as a firearm."

As for crossbows...they were archery equipment long before guns and even compound bows were invented. All of the major archery sanctioning bodies (NAA, NFAA, FITA, and the ATA) recognize crossbows, and include a division for them in their events.

Some are trying to market as archery from this sale add!