You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: New in Colorado

Default New in Colorado

Hey y'all! Just thought I'd introduce myself here. Name's Dan, live in Centennial, CO. Just got bit by the archery bug when I went in to an archery shop at the suggestion of one of my co-workers. Did the intial "fitting" just to get some idea of where I am. Drew a few bows for feel. It's funny how that whole process works. I went in with the preconception that I wanted, based on everything I read (brilliant I know), that I wanted a Hoyt Ultratec. Oh silly me!! I was thinking that the longer ATA would help with my being a beginner. However, after looking at a couple of different ones, and talking to the owner I wound up drawing (I say drawing at this point because I haven't actually shot any of these yet) a Switchback XT. There's no way I would have considered it prior to walking in there. The 31" ATA seemed WAY to short. Truth be told, it was the smoothest and just felt right. I also tried a Trykon but didn't like because it seemed too difficult to roll over. She said when I'm ready to go back (read buy) give her a call ahead of time and she'll have some set up for me. I've also considered the Bowtech Tribute, but they don't carry them at this shop, and I really like this shop so....

FWIW, these are the three bows I tried:

Mathews Switchback XT (29" need a 29.5" or 30"/55lb on a 60-70#)
    Hoyt UltraTec (29"/48lb - on a 50-60#)
    Hoyt Trykon (29"/50lb - on a 50-60#)

Yes, I know your sisters could probably outdraw me on weight, but my first love is cycling, hence, little upper body strength for now. Second love is hunting, so cycling serves me well in running up and down the hills in the fall. The strength will come. Not worried about that.

At any rate, I'm a dry sponge right now so I'm sure I'll be asking a ton of questions, but so far I'm digging this archery thing.

Cheers!
    Dan

I recommend the Hoyt Trykon. The bow is very smooth and quiet. I've seen alot archers happy with the ripcord drop away rest and shoot the new fmj by easton. Since your in Colorado the heavier arrow wouldn't hurt you at all.

you have already found something you like in the XT it feels right......there is alot to be said for that.......but then some would argue that feel doesnt mean much
    I cut things up and split them down!

Thanks guys! What do you think about the 31" ATA of the SBXT for a newbie? They (they being a lot of what I've read so far) have said that the new SBXT is more forgiving. Is this more forgiving than last year's? Is it more forgiving than most other bows out there? How much of it is the shooter and how much is the bow? Am I completely over-analyzing all this? FWIW, I'm not new to shooting, just shooting bows. I shoot a lot of rifle: .22 and .300 Win Mag. Not to brag, but I shoot them pretty well. I've spent a lot of time working on the mental aspect of it to where it's almost second nature. Ahh geez, who knows until I actually get out there and start shooting?

Next question is on draw weight. As I said above, the SBXT was set at 55# on a 60-70# bow. As what I'm finding dictates, it would make sense that I would go w/ a 50-60# set up. However, since I won't be hunting until next fall, how much strength can I anticipate gaining by then and how quickly could I possibly get into the 60-70# range? Is 50-60# enough for elk, deer, bear, and any other Colorado big game which could even include moose? How truthful is it that a bow's optimum performance is toward the top end of it's draw weight range? I mean, wouldn't it kinda make sense that you can adjust your sights and practice for whatever your draw weight is regardless of your bows range?

Last question: Am I asking too dang many questions???

Thanks again for all your help!

Dan

My Switchback is a 50-60lbs and I have it set at 64lbs....

would not hesitate to go after grizzly or moose w/it.....remember an accurately placed razor sharp broadhead is more important then speed poundage any day......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Thumbs up Ooooooh boy!!!

Well I did it. I went and shot a couple of bows today. I shot the SB XT and I shot a Hoyt Ultra Elite, which the guy at the shop said is the target version of the UltraTec. I almost didn't even want to shoot the Hoyt for two reasons: 1.) It was the personal bow of the guy helping me...and decked out pretty sweet and 2.) I was pretty much sold on the SB XT after the first of 4 shots. Yup, I took one shot and was like, Wow! Smooth, quiet, NO recoil, quiet, sweet, quiet, amazing. Did I mention it was quiet? Of the 4 shots I took with it, 3 were grouped at about 3" at 20yds and 1 was between the target bags. Given that I hadn't shot in...well...for all intents and purposes, never, I was happy with it. I'm sure that with practice I would tighten that up. But still, with my anticipated maximum range of 40 yds, that's still a 6" grouping. I'd take that, but would still like to tighten it up. Really though, what's a fair/normal grouping?

I went and checked out a different shop than I had before b/c they are a Bowtech dealer and I wanted to check out a Tribute, which they didn't have in stock, but I don't know that I really need to any more. I was that impressed with the SB XT. And from what I can tell so far in all my research, the only problem has been the serving. If that's it, I think it's a no-brainer.

As far as the accessories, so I'm leaning toward a Copper John Hunter 5-pin sight, but am somewhat up in the air on release (shot a Tru-Fire Bulldog and liked it,but didn't try anything else) and am completely up in the air on rests. Not big on the whisker biscuit, but I don't really know what's good, bad, or indifferent that sets them apart. Same on releases.

Thanks again for all y'alls' help!

Dan

Talking Ooooooh boy!!!

Well I did it. I went and shot a couple of bows today. I shot the SB XT and I shot a Hoyt Ultra Elite, which the guy at the shop said is the target version of the UltraTec. I almost didn't even want to shoot the Hoyt for two reasons: 1.) It was the personal bow of the guy helping me...and decked out pretty sweet and 2.) I was pretty much sold on the SB XT after the first of 4 shots. Yup, I took one shot and was like, Wow! Smooth, quiet, NO recoil, quiet, sweet, quiet, amazing. Did I mention it was quiet? Of the 4 shots I took with it, 3 were grouped at about 3" at 20yds and 1 was between the target bags. Given that I hadn't shot in...well...for all intents and purposes, never, I was happy with it. I'm sure that with practice I would tighten that up. But still, with my anticipated maximum range of 40 yds, that's still a 6" grouping. I'd take that, but would still like to tighten it up. Really though, what's a fair/normal grouping?

I went and checked out a different shop than I had before b/c they are a Bowtech dealer and I wanted to check out a Tribute, which they didn't have in stock, but I don't know that I really need to any more. I was that impressed with the SB XT. And from what I can tell so far in all my research, the only problem has been the serving. If that's it, I think it's a no-brainer.

As far as the accessories, so I'm leaning toward a Copper John Hunter 5-pin sight, but am somewhat up in the air on release (shot a Tru-Fire Bulldog and liked it,but didn't try anything else) and am completely up in the air on rests. Not big on the whisker biscuit, but I don't really know what's good, bad, or indifferent that sets them apart. Same on releases.

Thanks again for all y'alls' help!

Dan

Well you have to get what feels good to you. Your the one that will be shooting it. I will say this thou, I thought I was going to buy a hoyt as well but after the Switchback XT it won hands down to me.

As for your draw wght that you go with a bow in the 50-60 lb. range will take care of hunting needs with good shot placement(this is the key). One problem that you do not want is ending up with a bow with draw wght to much for you to handle.

My set up (Switchback XT, trophy hunter dropaway rest, dead nuts 5 pin sight, mathews 5 arrow 2piece quiver, shooting easton st epic 400 carbon arrows).this bow is extremly smooth and accurate . Good luck in what ever you decide to go with.