You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default It's not that important to me I guess...

I'm just not in the mind set of caring much about big bucks. Maybe I'm lazy, or impatient, or just weird. I simply enjoy shooting does, and go into the woods with the mind set that I'm gonna go kill me me a big 'ole doe. Is that weird??? If a decent buck presented itself before a decent doe I would surely shoot it, but it honestly makes no difference to me. I try to shoot Does at least 18 months old (it makes sense financially), and pass usually on young bucks because I appreciate the fact that others like to kill nice bucks. What's your feeling on the subject???

Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

There's certainly nothing wrong with having fun and shooting what YOU want. That's what it's all about!

However, I will ask if at some point you don't get bored with just shooting Does or small bucks? I mean, isn't it just human nature to want to set goals and raise the bar? For me, shooting Does is indeed fun every year, but with NO LIMITS on Antlerless deer here... it just isn't real challenging... certainly nothing like trying to match wits with a mature trophy class buck.

To each his own, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    There's certainly nothing wrong with having fun and shooting what YOU want. That's what it's all about!

However, I will ask if at some point you don't get bored with just shooting Does or small bucks? I mean, isn't it just human nature to want to set goals and raise the bar? For me, shooting Does is indeed fun every year, but with NO LIMITS on Antlerless deer here... it just isn't real challenging... certainly nothing like trying to match wits with a mature trophy class buck.

To each his own, good luck
    I get your point, I guess I don't get as many days in the field as I'd need for things to be a chess match. With the sling business starting to heat up this time of year, 2 small children ( 5 and 1) a full time job,a non-hunting wife, and no property of my own, I only get a few days a month to hunt. Plus I have a venison addiction that needs to be fed!

Good luck out there,
    Ben

FBSA Member

I understand that.... it certainly sound like your plate is full. Hey, and there is certainly nothin' wrong with havin' that venison addiction!

I don't think I would concentrate as much as I do on trophy class bucks if we didn't own a property and have several good farms to hunt. Honestly though, the more my kids develope an interest in hunting, the more excited I get about taking ANY deer and not just those bomber buck. My 9 year old took a lil' 4 pointer last week and I swear... I have NEVER been as excited and as nervous! LOL! You would have thought it was a B&C class monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I understand that.... it certainly sound like your plate is full. Hey, and there is certainly nothin' wrong with havin' that venison addiction!

I don't think I would concentrate as much as I do on trophy class bucks if we didn't own a property and have several good farms to hunt. Honestly though, the more my kids develope an interest in hunting, the more excited I get about taking ANY deer and not just those bomber buck. My 9 year old took a lil' 4 pointer last week and I swear... I have NEVER been as excited and as nervous! LOL! You would have thought it was a B&C class monster!
    I bet, I get excited for you just reading it.

Ben

FBSA Member

I'd rather kill a doe than a buck and a hog instead of a deer.. but that's just me..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    I'd rather kill a doe than a buck and a hog instead of a deer.. but that's just me..
    I would love to try Hog Hunting. Wild hogs are just starting to show their ugly heads around Michigan, and I don't want to pay $400 to kill a nuisance animal.

Ben

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    I would love to try Hog Hunting. Wild hogs are just starting to show their ugly heads around Michigan, and I don't want to pay $400 to kill a nuisance animal.

Ben
    I'm pretty sure folks down here will send you some if you ask?
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Ben
    Ben we dont want hogs, EVER ! I feel your take on the big Buck thing. Sometimes we can get caught up in it. I love shooting Baldys to .
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

i feel if its a trophy to you and your happy with it shoot it.

With 4 tags to fill my goal is to take 2 doe's before pre rut, try for a buck until the end of Nov, and fill what tags are left before the season's end Jan. first. Got 2 doe's so far. Mature bucks are few and far between hunting public land in Northern Michigan. I'd better enjoy shooting doe's or give up bowhunting in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    Ben we dont want hogs, EVER ! I feel your take on the big Buck thing. Sometimes we can get caught up in it. I love shooting Baldys to .
    I'm saying I want them, I just ain't gonna pay to shoot them!

FBSA Member

for the bow season, ill probably not shoot a doe..I want bucks only.

I have all of december and the first week of january for a doe
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

Any grown up deer works for me. Went too many years without any around to get picky. Does with fawns, and just small deer that look like this year's are safe, but other than that, I don't look a gift deer in the mouth.
    FBSA Member

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

Default antlers

i with you id rather shoot a doe i am not a trophy hunter i hunt to feed my family. now dont get me wron there is nothing wrong with trophy hunting but it is not what i was brought up to do . i have a lot of friends who only shoot monster buck or they dont shoot.the way i look at is , is do what you feel is right for you you pay for your tags so shoot what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    I don't look a gift deer in the mouth.
    That's funny! I'm gonna use that one.

Ben

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by armyof1 View Post
    i with you id rather shoot a doe i am not a trophy hunter i hunt to feed my family. now dont get me wron there is nothing wrong with trophy hunting but it is not what i was brought up to do . i have a lot of friends who only shoot monster buck or they dont shoot.the way i look at is , is do what you feel is right for you you pay for your tags so shoot what you want.

It's simply a matter of time, cost, and meat. The last thing I need is a taxidermy bill!

FBSA Member

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

It's simply a matter of time, cost, and meat.
    Doe taste better!
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Default Does are fun

Harvesting deer is a blast.

Who cares if its a buck or doe.

Just go have fun.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Old Archer

Thumbs up Db

I Hope We share camp some day!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.