You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Question for people who know about Michigan Farming

When does the dang corn get cut? Where I hunt the property is surrounded by corn fields and there are very few deer passing through during hunting hours.
    Ben
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

Due to the incredibly wet spring planting season that most of the Midwest had this year, planting times were much latter than usual and it has seriously effected the harvest. Expect corn to be picked over a full month later than in any previous seasons. I know here in Illinois, we will be looking at a lot of our fields not dry enough to pick until around Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    Due to the incredibly wet spring planting season that most of the Midwest had this year, planting times were much latter than usual and it has seriously effected the harvest. Expect corn to be picked over a full month later than in any previous seasons. I know here in Illinois, we will be looking at a lot of our fields not dry enough to pick until around Thanksgiving.
    Hmmm...that's not good for me! But it must be worse for the farmers. Seems like a tough life to have to have mother nature pass down your fate.

Thanks to all the Farmers,

Ben

FBSA Member

As mentioned, everyone got such a late start planting and now all the cold and wet weather we've been getting is preventing the corn from drying down to the cure numbers they need to have before the field are picked. It's made for a record late harvest here in Illinois. Less than 5% of the states corn has been picked and generally it's over 30% by now. Deer certainly gonna have plenty of places to hide this season!

Benny, 5 to 6 weeks weeks on corn. Heck the very first beans started to run last night. Our beans came off today.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

I'd suggest trying to get permission to hunt some corn fields. Wait for a windy day when the corn is dry and making lots of cover noise. Stick your head in between the rows and look both ways. If no deer, step through and repeat until you get to the other side. Move down 50 yards or so and repeat until you've checked the field or see a bedded deer. When you spot a deer, back up 5 rows and move in the deer's direction to an ideal shooting distance. Nock the arrow and count 5 rows back forward. Before entering the deer's lane, SLOWLY stick your head in and wait until the deer is looking the other way. Step in and shoot. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
    I'd suggest trying to get permission to hunt some corn fields. Wait for a windy day when the corn is dry and making lots of cover noise. Stick your head in between the rows and look both ways. If no deer, step through and repeat until you get to the other side. Move down 50 yards or so and repeat until you've checked the field or see a bedded deer. When you spot a deer, back up 5 rows and move in the deer's direction to an ideal shooting distance. Nock the arrow and count 5 rows back forward. Before entering the deer's lane, SLOWLY stick your head in and wait until the deer is looking the other way. Step in and shoot. Have fun!
    Sound fun, might have to go bug some farmers.

Ben

FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    Benny, 5 to 6 weeks weeks on corn. Heck the very first beans started to run last night. Our beans came off today.
    Thanks man! Guess it will be a tough bow season this year.

Ben

FBSA Member

corn was planted late here in IL too and its ready to come out but it wont quit raining long enough for the ground to dry up so they can get in there

Quote Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
    Thanks man! Guess it will be a tough bow season this year.

Ben
    Beans are done, they went 45 a acre which is very good. Ive been told the corn will be 4 weeks at the earliest. Sorry Benny,
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    Beans are done, they went 45 a acre which is very good. Ive been told the corn will be 4 weeks at the earliest. Sorry Benny,
    Well...one more lemon for my life's glass of lemonade...

Ben

FBSA Member