You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default carbon arrow questions

Just a few ?s about carbon arrows. I decided to give carbon arrows a try. I shoot a Darton Lightning bow 30" draw length at 60# with a release. In the past I was shooting xx78/xx75 2315/2514 30" with 100 grain points no problems with paper tune nice holes.

What I did purchased 2 brands PSE hunter 300 and easton excel 340. this is what charts called for. Just testing the waters had the arrows cut to 30". PSE have 4" duravanes and excels have new blazer vanes. As for paper tuning had to go from 100 grain points down to 85 grain to get good paper tune. These carbon arrows fly. Is this common to have to drop in point wieght with carbons, would it be wise to go to next stiffer spine to keep 100 grain points. Just concerned for hunting purposes in future.

With these carbon arrows I fly through the target my xx78/xx75 had to shoot the target a while before had to worry about shooting through it.So much for shooting in my screen-room addition on my house, until I figure out a better backstop.LOL.

you should also give Carbon Express Maximas a try....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Bowman,
    I was thinking if my pro shop will sell individual arrows I was going to try to test several brands over the next couple of weeks(Maximas,Gold tips,beman,and a couple more eastons line) looking into the different straightnesses and wieght differences before I decide to stick with a particular arrow. Before it is all over do not be suprised if I do not end up with new Bow package.LOL.

I guess my real concern is dropping in my tip wieght. When I first started shooting years ago started w/125 grain points. Couple years back switched to 100 grain points. Had no problem with clean kills with either. Just not sure about 85 grain points for hunting trying to get a tag for AZ. 2007 Elk hunt.Does anyone have anything opinions or personal experiences with hunting with lightwieght broadheads.I realize shot placement is the biggest key. Thanks for the help.

85 gr Slick Tricks on Moose was a killer.

why not go to a stiffer spine or shorter arrows......all of my hunting and target setups are w/100gr. heads.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Well got it ll figured out. My cams were a little out of timing, plus after really watching what I was doing found I was torqing the handle. After getting bugs worked out went back to 100 grain tips and a perfect arrow hole in the paper.Really need to pay atention to shooting form. Keep it true.