You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Bows ?

Old Archer

Question Cross Bows ?

Now that Michigan has loosen up the laws on cross bows I hear the sale of these bows are way up. A friend told me that at the Big store he works at they sold ninty nine thousand dollars worth of cross bows in 2008. As of two weeks ago the sales had hit nine hundered and ninty seven thousand dollars.

Do you think this will be a positive or a negitive impact for Michigan, aside from the sales that is.
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

jersey legalized crossbows this year also...I think its going to be a cluster, personally.

I dont want one, but my dad does..lol
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

Here in Arkansas, cross bows are legal and have been since I moved here about 10-years ago. I know a few guys that hunt with them and they are all ethical hunters that just chose to use them. I doubt that there is any more impact to the number of deer killed with them than there is the numbers killed with compounds. Cross bows have been around for a looooooong time and I have no problem with someone using them as long as it is legal. I have never shot one, so I don't know if it gives the hunter an advantage or not. I'm sure that when compounds first hit the hunting world, the traditional archers had the same questions and felt that archery would never be the same again. In reality, they were right. There is no competing between a modern compound bow and the traditional stick and string. Bottom line, support their right to hunt with them because if we fight among ourselves, the anti's gain ground. As long as it is legal, go for it.

Old Archer

Thumbs up Cross Bows

If it gets more people involved in hunting, then it may be a good thing! These
    are often guys who just love to hunt but for one reason or another are not able to draw a bow back. Perhaps they may also help with the too many Doe problem?
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

sure it will mean more dead deer..You can get all kinds of lasers and scops and red dots for the crossbow, which you can't do on a compound
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

Banned

Leave the crossbows for the handicapped. Oh wait, I guess that would mean 99.9% of the rifle hunters.

jim

sure it will mean more dead deer..You can get all kinds of lasers and scops and red dots for the crossbow, which you can't do on a compound
    Leave the crossbows for the handicapped. Oh wait, I guess that would mean 99.9% of the rifle hunters.
    You have a point here friends. Seems I heard much the same when the
    modern compounds arrived on the scene from the stickbow shooters.
    What ever means of hunting equipment one chooses to use is just that,
    their choice.
    Will there be more slob hunters ? Probably, each means of hunting has it's
    share.
    Conclusion ..... feeling one's "elite" as far as their choice of equipment will
    only bring the rest of us down.
    Solution ..... put more vehicles on the road with all the extra's. This is sure
    to result in more dead dear

Would be interesting to see how many of us hunt with more than one choice
    of weapon. Let's see, I hunt with stickbow, modern compound, shotgun,
    flintlock smoothbore, rifle and sometimes when the grand daughters and I
    take to the woods - we use sling shots
    Last edited by jim p.; 10-20-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Default agree & disagree

in virginia Xbows have been legal 4 about 5 years now.i do agree with more people getting into the sport of hunting and not bickering among each other.
    the thing that bothered me the most was all the archery pro shops we used to have are no longer there..
    alot of archer's that were trying to use compounds and recurves uped 4 something easier that didnt need tuneing and such.and most x bow's are bought at big box store's like bass pro and such no need 4 a pro shop..
    theres only 1 i know thats left here 50 miles from me there used to be 4 or 5
    the other thing that bothered me was i use to hunt public wild life management areas where on the opening day of archery season when i pulled up to a parking lot there were 2-3 trucks there now its 20-30 and im one of the only ones getting out with my recurve or compound..thats a good thing and a bad thing to me..i feel that x bows in our state should have there own season like black powder hunters maybe 2-3 weeks into the archery seasonnot have the full 6 weeks of archery season that we have now..just my opinion..kenny
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

The only real advantages to a crossbow are not having to draw with a deer in site and the increased range. Although I don't really know how much It would increase range with some of you shooting 50-60 yards with a bow. I say let people shoot what they want. Is someone a lesser hunter because they don't hunt your preferred method? It will have no impact on the rest of us after all, all states do have a fire arms season and that has not made things worse for us so why would crossbows? Yes you can use scopes on cross bows but so what. Maybe we should go back to throwing spears with stone tips as I am sure that that would be harder than using modern bows.
    Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand this holyer than tho, my way is the only right way mentality. If it is legal and people want to do it let them. If it is not your way then good, you don't have to do what some other person dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
    The only real advantages to a crossbow are not having to draw with a deer in site and the increased range. Although I don't really know how much It would increase range with some of you shooting 50-60 yards with a bow. I say let people shoot what they want. Is someone a lesser hunter because they don't hunt your preferred method? It will have no impact on the rest of us after all, all states do have a fire arms season and that has not made things worse for us so why would crossbows? Yes you can use scopes on cross bows but so what. Maybe we should go back to throwing spears with stone tips as I am sure that that would be harder than using modern bows.
    Sorry for the rant, I just can't stand this holyer than tho, my way is the only right way mentality. If it is legal and people want to do it let them. If it is not your way then good, you don't have to do what some other person dose.
    I don't see the problem with crossbows. They have been legal for many years in Ohio. It didn't do any damage to the deer population that it seems some are worried about. It gets more people involved to help promote the sport. There are 2 crossbows in my house. That is what I started my boy's on at 8 years old. They now use compounds but if I wouldn't have got them interested in the sport they wouldn't enjoy going out and hunting.

Also crossbows do not extend your range as the bolt travels at about the same speed as an arrow from a bow and is also heavier so they drop faster than your average compound and arrow. My compound shoots flatter than my crossbows.

These same arguments went on when the compounds first came out and the some recurve shooters didn't approve of the compounds being legal. I remember getting flack about my Bear Whitetail and hunting with it. We should all be promoting the sport so our children and grand children can enjoy the sport for years to come.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Old Archer

Thumbs up Bingo!

Bingo,

Some of you guys are thinking positively, more people hunting, more people on our side agaisnt the anti's. I'm someone who has seen a real change in my lifetime here in Michigan in regards to hunting. I am a Veitnam era veteran, when I got back home in Mich I could hardly wait to hit the woods. It was late season, so I took my Hawken 50cal with Black Powder and patched round ball and started hitting all my favorite spots within a 90min drive from home. I can remember running into one other guy on one Saturday, he had a flintlock! Big change now truth be told, with all the modern inline rifles, sometimes there is as many hunters in late season as Opening Day, And Oh Yeah and the compound bow that we all enjoy and love so much. When Mr Allen Sawed the ends of the limbs of a recurve bow, + wheels ,whoknew what popularity it would bring and the impact it would have. But even by the old shooters it was finally accepted and enjoyed because it brought more PEOPLE, POWER AND FOCUS TO THE SPORT OF BOWHUNTING. and that my friends is how history will most likely recored the crossbow, which by the way as been around since the early 1400's in europe. There fun to shoot and some day when folks get worn out, and what to stay in the game, now they can. Just Imagine what a new Mathews Compond Bow will look like in the year 2050, I'll bet it will have auto loading and Auto targeting, heck the arrow is most likely going to send you a GPS signal to help find the deer. Thats how the compound was first looked at until it was received.
    And assomeone has already said! lets supports all who hunt with what ever they hunt with. But continue to support good ethics, and respect and appreciation for all our natural resources in all our States and the animals we persure AMEN!

If you can't pull a bow back theres no need to go bowhunting!!!! Wait till gun season and use the crossbows. Its ridiculous theres no need for them wait till gun season and use them!!!!!

jim

heck the arrow is most likely going to send you a GPS signal to help find the deer
    Just watch, it won't take until 2050

If you can't pull a bow back theres no need to go bowhunting!!!! Wait till gun season and use the crossbows. Its ridiculous theres no need for them wait till gun season and use them!!!!!
    Sad when you think of the memorable times you, your son/daughter, parent and possibly a friend who is disabled could have shared

I could really care less about crossbows being legal. If it gets more people afield so be it! I know it helped one of my local shops out big time. They had a banner year and sold more crossbows than anything else in their shop. Just the shot in the arm this little mom and pop shop needed.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Jingaling,

That is the most self serving statement I have ever herd. So what you are saying is that my uncle that is 68 and has shoulder problems should be forced to wait to hunt instead of being able to use a crossbow. That's crap, the only thing you are thinking of is, how can I have less people in the woods so my chances are better.

Tell me why people that can no longer pull a bow should be forced to wait till gun season. If you can give me a good reason I will be willing to listen. Keep in mind that a crossbow has more in common with a bow than with a fire arm because as far as I can tell you just want more woods to your self.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingaling View Post
    Jingaling - Do you hunt with a muzzloader at all? If so, odds are that it is an inline, possibly with a scope. If you don't, I'm sure that you know folks that do. I could use the same logic for inline muzzleloaders. They aren't anything close to the "primitive weapons" that the states intended to be used during "muzzleloading season". I personally have no use for inlines and feel that they defeat the purpose of the "primitive weapons" season. BUT, regardless of what I think, it has had a positive effect on bringing more people into the sport. For that reason, I support the rights of the people that chose to use an inline over a traditional muzzleloader and always will. It's the same with the cross bow issue. You can either chose to support them in their right to chose a cross bow, or have a bad attitude towards them and make the anti's happy and yourself misserable thinking about. We either all stand together and support legal methods of hunting or the anti's have us divided and we all lose. Make your choice.

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

Default X-bows

First here in Kansas you can only hunt with a X-bow if you are disabled ( cant draw and hald a bow at full draw )
    second i used a cross bow one season because i had a torn rotater in my right shoulder didnt get any deer that season.
    Third I agree it doesnt matter what is used to hunt as long as it is leagal in the state to which you live.
    Finaly I agree we need to stick together or the anti's win and we all lose out then

Old Archer

Thumbs up Your Right and Rights

To make a final point, its why many of us served our country! To protect our way of life so we all could continue to have choices. By the way, lets remember those in harms way right now today fighting off the evils of terror so we can bow hunt tommorow. Many are returning home, and what to hunt also! Lets not forget our FALLEN HEROES!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
    Jingaling,

That is the most self serving statement I have ever herd. So what you are saying is that my uncle that is 68 and has shoulder problems should be forced to wait to hunt instead of being able to use a crossbow. That's crap, the only thing you are thinking of is, how can I have less people in the woods so my chances are better.

Tell me why people that can no longer pull a bow should be forced to wait till gun season. If you can give me a good reason I will be willing to listen. Keep in mind that a crossbow has more in common with a bow than with a fire arm because as far as I can tell you just want more woods to your self.
    I do say that because it puts more people in the woods!!! You wanna know whats crap is all these people who go out and shoot young bucks dont wanna manage blah blah blah... it's one thing if your a young child or it's your first deer to shoot a small buck. Dont say it's to feed your family and all that crap because it's not if you wanna feed your family shoot does...

Old Archer

Default Calm Down!

Shake hands and be Pals, its okay to have your opinion!