You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default trophyline tree saddle

Anybody ever use one? The concept seems sound, but I wonder about pressure on one's feet from the steps. My only "experience" with them was a conversation with a guy at Bass Pro whose boss had one and didn't like it.

Smile I have one

I have one. I like it. Is it as comfortable as a hang on or climber. no. Is it hard on feet it can be but you can take the weight off by lengthing the strap around the tree. It is safer than hang ons or climbers

I like it because I can put steps in all kinds of trees and leave them year to year and come back and not worry about a tree stand that is missing. I also like it because I can hunt more places that have smaller diameter trees. Pegs are easy to put in a tree and you can still use climbing sticks if you like.

You won't need as many stands if you are like me, I like to set stands for as many different wind directions as I have places for.

It is good for scouting an area. If you are up a tree in a saddle 18 to 20 ft, deer don't seem to bust you as much.

If you are looking to sit longer than 4-5 hours it isn't the stand to use for an all day sit. I set hang ons for places I think I will sit all day.

John Eberhart has experience to share on his web sight. Look for deer-john. net. I use mine more than hang on stands now. I can hunt all day in mine if I choose a tree with a crotch. I can hunt standing in the crotch and lean against one side, or the other to relieve the stress points as needed. Other than that, I last about 8 hours, max. If you're not in decent shape, or really overweight, I wouldn't recomend it. I ride a mountain bike and X-country ski in the off season, and I also do squats, cut firewood, and a variety of other activities. Good leg strength is a must for me to enjoy hunting the way I like, anyway. If there's a MC Sports near you, check them out before you buy one. They have the Ambush Saddle on sale for $129 in my area.

Old Archer

Default I Have The Pro Model!

I sold then for several years at the Big C, Sherry Green the President of Trophline was very generous in sending me one at no charge because of my high sales and special orders for the product. If you go to there web site it will show you how to use the saddle as its called around the industry. You can adjust the strap so you are upright or in more of a seating position, so you can easily take pressure of your feet at anytime. This Company is based in Georgia, here in Michigan we can no longer screw steps in trees on State and Federal lands. The system uses several tree steps to get to the desired Hunting height. Then you screw in four at that desired height to create a 360 degree pivot point, allowing you shots from any side of the tree your in. I have used it alot on Private land here in Michigan incorporating there step system. And you right if you like to hang lots of stands, and use screw in steps, the Tree Saddle is a big help. Also to note the straps used on this product are of the same that are used on Our Military Aircraft ejection seats,
    and the same contrator does the sewing. Very safe Very Strong!

www.trophylineusa.com
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Default How many steps?

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try one, if not this season, certainly next. If I'm figuring it right at this early hour, I'd need 10 steps to get me up about 15 feet and 4 at the top. Sound about right?

I saw some strap-on steps on Bass Pro's website. They're not cheap, about $10 each, as opposed to $3 for screw-ins. In fact, BPS has a kit that includes 12 steps, 2 gear hangers, and a pull-up rope for about $40. Pretty good deal, and some good upper body exercise.

Depending on body type, the steps can be spaced 18" to 24" apart, or more if you're limber and wear loose clothing. I like to hunt high, 22' min., and up to 30' or more. Once I get above 22', I seem to be out of the deer's peripheral vision, and I can get away with more movement and noise. I carry at least 20 steps and this seems to get me high enough with a few left over in most cases. If you're going to hunt at 15', I suggest choosing a tree that has good cover.

Old Archer

Default Ditto

I would agree!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Default How high

In north GA and western NC it's mostly hardwoods, since the paper companies have clearcut a lot of the softwoods (it's an ugly thing to see), so 15' usually puts you right up in the branches. Any higher and you can't see squat.