You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: wolves?

Default wolves?

Hello, to all. I am new to the site. I have a question about wolves. I was sitting in my ground blind this afternoon. There was a light rain all day, so the woods were silent, I looked up by the mock scrape 15 yards in front of me, and I see a Timber Wolf cruising in. It went by the scrape, but you could tell it's nose was zeroing in on something. It started following the deer tail, then it stopped and headed down a ravein. I was rattling and grunting, about every 30 minutes or so. Do Wolves key in on deer sounds? Not like I was doing perfect grunts or rattles, but it made me think? Oh, and by the way, no deer in the area, I guess that should be no suprise. How long do the deer bail out?

Too bad that Wolf was protected! It went right by me, never saw me or anything, the wind was perfect for deer, apparently for wolves too.

Joe

Wow, that something to remember!!

We don't have wolves down here where I live so I wouldn't have a clue weather you called it in or he was just in the area with you.

to 3d shoots.

Up here in North Western Ontario over the last 4 or 5 year Wolves have come in to us calling in moose. Have had them come as close as 3 yards. PS they aren't protected up here so the close ones get arrowed.

Protected or not if one gets close enough to me im shooting it. Even though we dont have them in lower michigan I wouldnt like knowing that they are out there in the woods!!

Post Deer Sounds

[QUOTE Do Wolves key in on deer sounds?[/QUOTE]

I think probably so. I have called in mountain lions, bobcats, and lots of coyotes with a fawn call. I see no reason why you could not call in a wolf as well.

Bob

Default ouch

well the fact that your seeing wolves and not deer cannot be a good thing, maybe relocate to a different spot, normally what the deer do when they wind predators, especially wolves, they could avoid the area completely and seek out new areas, free of wolves. and for the record, protected or not, i love deer too much

chris
    Martin Tracer Magnum Beman ICS Hunter Arrows Rocket Spitfire Broadheads Scott Release Blazer Vanes

They are protected here in Norther Wisconsin, and inspite of what the DNR will tell you, there are a lot of them. I have heard stories last year at the local deer registration office of hunters seeing them tear up a deer(live). Even though were hunting them, thats harsh.

Looks like I'm moving to a new spot!

Quote Originally Posted by NewBowHunter1 View Post
    They are protected here in Norther Wisconsin, and inspite of what the DNR will tell you, there are a lot of them. I have heard stories last year at the local deer registration office of hunters seeing them tear up a deer(live). Even though were hunting them, thats harsh.

Looks like I'm moving to a new spot!
    agreed, i couldnt watch them, their like wild dogs eat the legs out from under them, protected or not, the martin would come to full draw
    Martin Tracer Magnum Beman ICS Hunter Arrows Rocket Spitfire Broadheads Scott Release Blazer Vanes

not to mention their potentially dangerous, how far does the protection go, do you let them attack you?

No way I'm letting a wolf or anything else attack me if I can help it, protected or not. I had my hand on the Smith & Wesson if need be. It just turned around and ran down the ravine. As far a stickin it, the thought crossed my mind, but they are protected and I don't need any drama.

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

im with you i would have put some carbon in his diet

Old Archer

Talking Don't Be Scared

Quote Originally Posted by Jingaling View Post
    Protected or not if one gets close enough to me im shooting it. Even though we dont have them in lower michigan I wouldnt like knowing that they are out there in the woods!!
    There are more dangerous things in the Great michigan woods than wolves Jingaling! But don't worry Papa Grizz will protect you. Just leave the the wolves alone!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
    There are more dangerous things in the Great michigan woods than wolves Jingaling! But don't worry Papa Grizz will protect you. Just leave the the wolves alone!
    Not around me there isnt im all the way toward the bottom of the mitten. The worse thing around here is coyotes and nobody is scared of ol willey!!

I say they do. I would like to see a wolf I think they are amazing animals.
    Mountain Outdoors Shooter