You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default to move or not to move?

Well, I've been hunting this piece of woods for almost all of october, usually 3 times a week or so. I have only seen one buck out of this stand, but the feed i put out is going what seems like over night..I havent had a morning hunt out there yet.

My dad is on the other side of the woods and he isnt seeing any deer in his shooting area either, there all in a big field next to his stand. Problem is, you can't put a stand or a blind in this field really(nothing to blend in with the blind, and ZERO trees in the field.) He's done for the bow season I think, since fall bow starts tomorrow and he hasnt got his permit..He told me to go over there, but im not sure if I should. I'm torn between constantly seeing deer in this field(he says at least 4 a night), and staying in my stand where I shot my 9 point from.

I went out on wed after work to throw some feed down, and I jumped a deer eating in the feed, so I know there in there. But when I'm there, they are not

What should I do? Tomorrow is the last day of being able to go out after work since i get out between 430 and 530PM, and it will be dark by 5pm since DST is tomorrow, so ill only have one day a week to go bow hunting untill december.
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

In my opinion, you've overhunted this area. The deer have almost certainly patterned you. I would abandon this spot for the rest of the year as far as taking a mature buck. If you want to get a younger buck or a doe, You might try giving the area a break for a week , and come back at different times if possible. If you know of other spots that have been less pressured up till now, it may be worth hunting those areas in hopes of seeing more relaxed deer. There next two weeks are my favorite here in Northern Michigan. I have several spots I leave alone except to do trimming in the spring and a last check and set up in early Sept. I don't go there during early hunting season except when it's raining or windy to hang a dripper. I like to have at least 3 hot spots to hunt from Nov. 1st through the 14th that I've left unhunted up till then.

i wonder how they patterend me. Its only myself and my dad hunting this section of woods behind some houses, so there used to people being around. There is almost zero pressure on them besides us two.I dont really want to leave this spot lol

Maybe ill throw my dads camera up and see what happens

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

Default Tough call

My thoughts if your not seeing deer from the stand. Your spooking them walking in or close to there bedding area.

I often find sometimes its how we approach are stands whether we see deer or not.

I know some stands do better in the evening because in the mornings, the deer are usually in that area and I run them out in the morning hours going in.

Game camera certainly might help.

DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

thanks all. I think ill head out tomorrow and throw the camera up and see what happens. Maybe I can bring my blind out and try that instead one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
    In my opinion, you've overhunted this area. The deer have almost certainly patterned you. I would abandon this spot for the rest of the year as far as taking a mature buck. If you want to get a younger buck or a doe, You might try giving the area a break for a week , and come back at different times if possible. If you know of other spots that have been less pressured up till now, it may be worth hunting those areas in hopes of seeing more relaxed deer. There next two weeks are my favorite here in Northern Michigan. I have several spots I leave alone except to do trimming in the spring and a last check and set up in early Sept. I don't go there during early hunting season except when it's raining or windy to hang a dripper. I like to have at least 3 hot spots to hunt from Nov. 1st through the 14th that I've left unhunted up till then.
    \

I got agree with this...they know what time you show up and what time you leave.

Try changing it up a little. show up and hunt mid day or go into your stand from a different direction. take a climber in and set up in new tree a hundred yard or so off your bait pile. When they pattern you, you got to change your pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    \

I got agree with this...they know what time you show up and what time you leave.

Try changing it up a little. show up and hunt mid day or go into your stand from a different direction. take a climber in and set up in new tree a hundred yard or so off your bait pile. When they pattern you, you got to change your pattern.

thanks..went out to put my camera up, and scouted a little. Looks like I found a good tree, but I need to get a new stand now

The tree I found isnt very climber friendly

I ran into a similar situation last year. I found a new way into my stand. A lot longer walk, but the first day I took the new route, I had 3 different bucks come in between noon and 230 and then I had two smaller bucks come in before dark and fight for 20 minutes right in front of me. They knew when I was in there before changing MY PATTERN. good luck

well, theres really no other way into my spot. Its an old dirt road I walk down, and hardly make any noise going in untill I set up my climber and go up the tree. Ive gotten to the point where when I walk in, ill take like 4 steps, and hit the doe bleat can..then another few and repeat..The only other time ill make any noise, is if I dump some feed out, but then its only the noise of it hitting the ground

The only other way to get into my spot would be to walk directly in the woods behind my truck, and make a hard left and tromp throu some woods, making all kinds of noise

Default Doe estrous

Quote Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
    well, theres really no other way into my spot. Its an old dirt road I walk down, and hardly make any noise going in untill I set up my climber and go up the tree. Ive gotten to the point where when I walk in, ill take like 4 steps, and hit the doe bleat can..then another few and repeat..The only other time ill make any noise, is if I dump some feed out, but then its only the noise of it hitting the ground

The only other way to get into my spot would be to walk directly in the woods behind my truck, and make a hard left and tromp throu some woods, making all kinds of noise
    Might give it a try. See if the deer are smelling you.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

well, Im starting to do some scent controll. Ive never believed in it before, just left my clothes out on the line after a hunt over night. Over on AT, they say to sprinkle baking soda on your clothes and seal it up in a tub..Ive been doing that for a couple of days now, so we will see how it works out.

Also bought some scent killer and been hitting my clothes with it before I walk in.

Quote Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post

They are not hearing you. If you got a chum pile that the deer are eating off of they are walking accross the trail you walk in on to check for your scent before they go into your bait pile. I don't care how much scent control your using if a deer is checking your known trail to see if your in your stand they are going to pick up your scent.

Go early and go though the woods...try it what do you got to loose??

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    They are not hearing you. If you got a chum pile that the deer are eating off of they are walking accross the trail you walk in on to check for your scent before they go into your bait pile. I don't care how much scent control your using if a deer is checking your known trail to see if your in your stand they are going to pick up your scent.

Go early and go though the woods...try it what do you got to loose??

I dont think they smell me ..The deer I have seen have come from the other way, which is no where near where I walked. These deer to walk down the old dirt road at night and go across this guys back yard, but thats well after im gone, and its dark out. Im at a loss now as what else to do.

Dang deer are frustrating