You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: cool story

bowtecbowhunter bowtecbowhunter's Avatar

Default cool story

I've got a pretty cool story to tell. I'd went out to my stand about 1:30 yesterday an I'm in my leafy 3-d suit. I've got a fire lane at about 15 yards on my left and I've got a really good trail on my right at 18 yards. They both come out in a soybean field, about 20 ft. past the soybeans[ on the right side] there's a cut cornfield. I'd had squirrels all over me, I should have taken all my field points with me.I made best friends with this one squirrel. I'm only about 8' off the ground[ much more than that an I won't have any cover around me] and I had this coon playing around at the bottom of the climbing sticks for a while, I'd had possum scurry by me. My best friend[ the squirrel] has been staring at me from all different ranges. He was all over my tree, the last time I could have reached out and petted him if I'd have wanted.The last time he was about 5" away hanging up-side down on the tree, staring at me trying to figure out what I was[ like I said I was in my 3-d suit]. I would've said BOO but I'm pretty sure he would've ruined any chance I'd had at a deer. A little bit later these two does come out of the fire lane[ there's no shooting lane there] into the field. There's a tree in the way, a little bit later they spook an run over to the trail I'm on.The trail I'm on goes into the woods about 2 or 3 ft. an 90 degrees to the right towards me then after 2 or 3 ft. 90 degrees to the left for a perfect broadside then disappear, well they came a couple feet into the tree line then turn left [for no shot] into the woods. I'd forgotten my call in the truck felt like kicking myself, a little bit later they came back out, but stayed in the middle of the field. No shot, but hey any day in the woods is better than any day anywhere else RIGHT.

Pretty cool story, my dad made friends with a squirel and would give it some food every now and again.
    Mountain Outdoors Shooter

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

look at it this way . at least you got to get out into gods country and see some of gods great animals and some fresh air . there were no phones ringing no honey do lists and no kids fighting. Its like you said a day in the woods hunting is better than anywhere else.

you certainly see some cool things in the woods that most people have no understanding of. i sure enjoy all of it. i took my wife out one afternoon last season and we had a nice black bear come into about 25 yards and we were on the ground, it was a lucky day to take her, we watched it for about a half hour. i thought about shooting it but i knew if i did, i would never see it again.
    rytera X
    whisker biscuit rest
    cobra 4 pin
    flingin' gold tip xt hunters
    muzzy 100gr 3 blade

Quote Originally Posted by bowtecbowhunter View Post
    I've got a pretty cool story to tell. I'd went out to my stand about 1:30 yesterday an I'm in my leafy 3-d suit. I've got a fire lane at about 15 yards on my left and I've got a really good trail on my right at 18 yards. They both come out in a soybean field, about 20 ft. past the soybeans[ on the right side] there's a cut cornfield. I'd had squirrels all over me, I should have taken all my field points with me.I made best friends with this one squirrel. I'm only about 8' off the ground[ much more than that an I won't have any cover around me] and I had this coon playing around at the bottom of the climbing sticks for a while, I'd had possum scurry by me. My best friend[ the squirrel] has been staring at me from all different ranges. He was all over my tree, the last time I could have reached out and petted him if I'd have wanted.The last time he was about 5" away hanging up-side down on the tree, staring at me trying to figure out what I was[ like I said I was in my 3-d suit]. I would've said BOO but I'm pretty sure he would've ruined any chance I'd had at a deer. A little bit later these two does come out of the fire lane[ there's no shooting lane there] into the field. There's a tree in the way, a little bit later they spook an run over to the trail I'm on.The trail I'm on goes into the woods about 2 or 3 ft. an 90 degrees to the right towards me then after 2 or 3 ft. 90 degrees to the left for a perfect broadside then disappear, well they came a couple feet into the tree line then turn left [for no shot] into the woods. I'd forgotten my call in the truck felt like kicking myself, a little bit later they came back out, but stayed in the middle of the field. No shot, but hey any day in the woods is better than any day anywhere else RIGHT.

Encounter at Aransas

Starlight illuminated the shell road in front of me into an off-white path spearing through the black verges of brush on each side. My old sneakers made virtually no sound as I hurried along trying to beat the on-coming sunrise. The grunting of alligators and the calling of shore-birds accompanied my trek, as did the swarms of mosquitoes hungering for breakfast.
    At a spot marked by a stick lying in the road, I turned off and made my way to an old barbed-wire fence which I started following deeper into the swamp. Occasionally, the soft ground gave way to water filled areas which I had to wade, hoping that no alligators or moccasins had taken up residence since I passed this way the previous evening.
    Rustlings and scurrying sounds occasionally caused me to freeze in place, and then continue when all was calm again. At one creek, the wan light let me see a stick on the bank that had not been there before. Gingerly I stepped over the object and into the water, and it slowly changed shape into a huge water moccasin, sluggish with the cool morning.
    Presently I came to the small shin-Oak motte that was my “stand.” The trees were only eight feet tall, and too spindly to support my weight, so I had cleared a small space in the middle that overlooked a hog-run about fifty feet away. Quietly, I arranged myself, back against a tree, extra arrow sticking in the ground, and my bow propped in easy reach to minimize movement.
    The mosquitoes swarmed about the camouflaged netting that hid my face, and tried futilely to enter my sleeves which were taped over my gloves. It was hot in the camo suit after the long hike and the sweat trickled down my back.
    Noises were approaching, so I picked up the bow and nocked an arrow, only to see several small deer trotting down the game trail in the brightening light. The breeze was blowing in my face and they continued on down the trail unaware of my presence.
    Another noise…different…a soft rhythmic grunting…brush moving…a large body moving at the edge of my vision…the prey…the bow comes up quietly…the arrow drawn back slowly…the limbs and string creaking with the strain until the Razorhead bumps the arrow shelf…the eyes focused on the small clearing…waiting…the big head with the dully gleaming tusks comes first…the body…black…white scars showing on the rough hide…huge…it stops…the great head swings toward me…the black eyes…red sparks kindling deep within…intelligence and menace…thoughts flit between our locked gazes like mad hummingbirds…time and space focus in the eternal struggle…attack…kill…survive…the great head dips….an explosive snort…the hairs bristle…the loins bunch for the charge…the arrow is unwavering…the tension is slowly released from the bow and the arrow slowly moves back to rest…the red sparks die…the hair lays back…the great snout dips to the ground in a symbolic rooting…a shaking of the hide…and he disappears down the trail.
    Boy, do I need a cigarette…

Default HUnting not all about the harvest

Its the adventures one see while in the woods.

Great story and great outlook on hunting
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Its the adventures one see while in the woods.

Great story and great outlook on hunting
    DB
    Thanks. That was '74 or '75, when the Jennings "Model T" was new. I was shooting a Bear Victor Kodiak take down bow at 60 lbs. The day after that, a guy stuck a HUGE hog with one, and didn't let him bleed out, but jumped right down out of his stand and followed him to where he laid down, walked up and kicked him to see if he was dead. He wasn't. Boar jumped up, ran him down, dislocated his leg, and cut through his snake leggings leaving a BIG gash. Good thing he had a whistle, or he woulda bled to death. We had to pack him and the hog out, and he wasn't a lightweight either. I think the hog was about 375 lbs, and 1/3 head and tusks...