You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Demise of Hunting?

What (or who) is the biggest threat to hunting today? Is it Peta and the other terrorist-type animal rights groups? Is it the millionaires like Bob Barker that fund them? Is it the outfitters that grab up all the land trying to commercialize the sport? Is it the TV hunting show personalities that buy up the land and plant food plots deep in the middle to protect “their” deer. Is it the construction companies that keep tearing down the trees and building houses and such? Is it the “city-folk” that want a 10 acre “farm” in the country? Is it the liberal school teachers that are molding the minds of children? Is it the hunters themselves that are driven to criticizing and in-fighting because of competition for a place to hunt? Is it the state wildlife department’s mismanagement of the resource?

How long it will last before hunting is left only for the “royalty” like in many European countries. Every year it gets harder and harder to find a place to hunt. Land becomes increasingly un-accessible each time another lease is signed or property is sub-divided.

State wildlife agencies sell more and tags for economical reasons as well as lobbying efforts of auto insurance companies. Cities pay sharp-shooters to thin herds that are not allowed to be hunted.

Will at some point the fulcrum shift and those hunters that no longer can find a place to hunt become bitter enough to quit and side with the anti’s?

Is it fair for a landowner to charge for state-owned wildlife? Is it fair for states to require guides to hunt federally-owned game on federally owned land? Is it fair for a community to vote and make it illegal for a property owner to hunt on his own land because of the perceived danger to nearby neighbors?

There are a lot of questions, what are your thoughts? Are you doing anything to help? Is there anything you can do to help?

Default These are the good ole days

There plenty of oppertunity to harvest deer.

Kansas has plenty of public hunting. Oklahoma does as well.

Everyone wants easy.

Landowners have a right to do whatever with there land. I have a lease and pay the landowner to hunt his property.

Most states are harvesting lots of deer. Honestly there quite a few deer around now days if your willing to to put the time in and hunt.

Wildlife agencys decide whats best for hunting in most states.

DB

Ask your insurance company and they will tell you there are far to many and accidents are on the raise.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default Good topic

Huntelk in my humble opinion the biggest enemies are the outfitters and all these so call "pro hunters".They suppose to be helping but what they are doing is the opposite.

Sitting in the tree stand this weekend on about a 20 acre plot of public ground gave me a lot of time to think about whether to encourage my 2 year old to hunt or not.

Then I come home and log in here to see people from 20 states headed to my back yard to hunt on the private ground they leased that I can't access any longer.

Should I save him the frustration and just teach him to be a target archer alone?

Things that add to my frustration are:

1. The fact that the little 100 acre private woods we can hunt (owned by relative) will be ruined next week when 4 guys from Georgia show up to tromple over the whole thing for a week. They show up only for the rut and burn it out for the season.

2. The neighboring city is paying sharpshooters to kill deer in their monsterous park.

3. Michael Wadell showed up here last year with the whole crew and jumped right in to part of the little bit of public ground the "blue collar" hunters can access and will probably be here this week too.

4. Then there is the very wealthy members of my family that own two large chunks of property that don't allow any hunting. They don't want the liablity...

5. We lost access to one 10 acre piece of woods behind a friends house because of the "psyco-hunter" adjoining their property from the rear. He tried every year to run us out saying those were "his" deer in those woods. The "friends" we were hunting on finally put an end to hunting thier land for fear the psyco would take his threats to the next level.

6. Last week one of my buddies that had hunted the same property for 13 years got a phone call from the land owner to come pick up his stands. The longtime friend hated to kick him out right before November, but 9 guys from out of state pooled thier money and offered him $15,000 a year to lease it.

7. Oh yes, and I just got an e-mail from an outfitter running a "sale" on late-season archery deer hunts. "1 on 1 guided, $5,500"

8. Last but not least, there is the $800 the DOW paid my cousin for the 4-H lamb that a black bear snatched out of their back yard in a housing division in Colorado. Look at the number of bear problems they have had since baiting and hounds were taken away a few years ago after the state got "Californicated".

It is sad to think, but I'm going to have a real hard time supporting sport hunting when the privledge of a place for me to take my little boy is gone.

I'll just hit them with my car on the interstate like everyone else does so my premiums can keep going up.

Default I feel your pain....

IMHO the commercialization of the sport is going to destroy it from the inside out.

It's not about the hunting experiance anymore it's about the horns on the wall.

There is something about a set of horns that bring out the greed in people.

Huntelk, I'm right there with you. I'm to the point where the negitive is starting to over run the positive about hunting. I started out as a hunter that target shot for something to do intil season. Now I'm a target shooter that goes hunting.

I ve been kicked off 3 different pieces of property in the last 3 to 4 years by citidiots that come up here and throw money at farmers so they can shoot 6 points. Then in the off season you have to listen to the farmers bitch about how the deer are distroying the crops. Ya think!!!!

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
    Sitting in the tree stand this weekend on about a 20 acre plot of public ground gave me a lot of time to think about whether to encourage my 2 year old to hunt or not.

Then I come home and log in here to see people from 20 states headed to my back yard to hunt on the private ground they leased that I can't access any longer.

Should I save him the frustration and just teach him to be a target archer alone?

Things that add to my frustration are:

1. The fact that the little 100 acre private woods we can hunt (owned by relative) will be ruined next week when 4 guys from Georgia show up to tromple over the whole thing for a week. They show up only for the rut and burn it out for the season.

2. The neighboring city is paying sharpshooters to kill deer in their monsterous park.

3. Michael Wadell showed up here last year with the whole crew and jumped right in to part of the little bit of public ground the "blue collar" hunters can access and will probably be here this week too.

4. Then there is the very wealthy members of my family that own two large chunks of property that don't allow any hunting. They don't want the liablity...

5. We lost access to one 10 acre piece of woods behind a friends house because of the "psyco-hunter" adjoining their property from the rear. He tried every year to run us out saying those were "his" deer in those woods. The "friends" we were hunting on finally put an end to hunting thier land for fear the psyco would take his threats to the next level.

6. Last week one of my buddies that had hunted the same property for 13 years got a phone call from the land owner to come pick up his stands. The longtime friend hated to kick him out right before November, but 9 guys from out of state pooled thier money and offered him $15,000 a year to lease it.

7. Oh yes, and I just got an e-mail from an outfitter running a "sale" on late-season archery deer hunts. "1 on 1 guided, $5,500"

8. Last but not least, there is the $800 the DOW paid my cousin for the 4-H lamb that a black bear snatched out of their back yard in a housing division in Colorado. Look at the number of bear problems they have had since baiting and hounds were taken away a few years ago after the state got "Californicated".

It is sad to think, but I'm going to have a real hard time supporting sport hunting when the privledge of a place for me to take my little boy is gone.

I'll just hit them with my car on the interstate like everyone else does so my premiums can keep going up.
    Can you not look at all the hunters here that have posted there hunts and realize how lucky we are. So he has to pay for a lease to hunt. Everthing comes with a cost now days. There not any sport thats cheap. I figure what you have spent shooting tournament you could have the best lease in Kansas.

There tons of public hunting in Kansas. My buddys are headed there next week. They always shoot good deer. Honestly you live in a state with lots of good deer hunting and sometimes we have to pay to hunt. Its what ever your prioritys are. If its inportant to you as it is me, you will find a way. Art and Ron Smart are up there this month hunting a lease.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default Just so my intentions are known....

I am simply asking thought-provoking questions to gain more perspective on the current situation and it's direction. I have formed a lot of opinions over my years in and around the industry/sport and will share them at some point here.

Just for those that don't know me, here are a few highlights of my background:

I grew up on a large cattle ranch in Nebraska with all the cropland, riverbottom, creek drainage, hardwood forest and CRP we could stand. After high school I moved to Colorado to work for and outfitter as an elk guide. I later worked over ten years in the sporting goods retail business where I lived in several states, hunted about everything in the US with every legal weapon and interacted with hunters from all over the world and from every socio-economic level.

I have been a member (and volunteer for some) of DU, NWTF, PF, NRA, RMEF and others. I have been a hunter/bowhunter ED instructor in both Nebraska and Minnesota. I am a BAIT with the NASP. I have been active in most state and local level clubs everywhere I have lived.

I got my wife (who was never allowed into the "boy's sport" growing up) to spend every vacation in the mountains hunting elk. I have taken my mother elk hunting and even handloaded ammo for her rifle. Three years ago I took a "city guy" that had never before hunted to the mountains with me elk hunting. This year I took a 13 year old (that has never had the opportunity to hunt) with us elk hunting in Colorado.

I have organized many hunts (even out-of-state week-long camping hunts)for many people out for their first time with very little money to spare.

My son is 2 1/2 years old and can name just about every North American animal in the Cabela's store. He shoots his bow weekly. He also has a youth .22 waiting for him to shoot when he is ready. I carried him out in the field to see the buck mommy shot with her bow when he was 7 months old. Last night he sat on a stool watching as I butchered the doe I harvested Sunday night.

I still think a cold weather cotton-tail fried up with mashed potatoes and gravy is pretty tough to beat.

Anyone that know me well knows I would give up my best spot to a new hunter and even loan him a weapon.

So back to my original topic, I'd like to further discuss and identify the issues that are causing both low recruitment and fallout of hunters.

So reading this thread....it would appear that some people have no idea what its like to not be able to "afford" a place to enjoy the activities that they love...

sure would be funny as hell to see the big guy here next week crying to everyone that his lease was being sold off and devided up right after this season...

its not always as easy as some people make it out to be...wonder how many had to give up those "pay to play" pieces of land with the economy in the crapper the way it has been and continues to go...

"Priorities", well I would love to have a nice place to hunt, but my 4 year old needs to eat too....

there are simply too many of these exact same "problems" being posted everyday to think the issue doesnt exsist...

The people that do this for a living are NOT helping the joe hunter, I dont care how big her boobs or how long her legs are.....

and you can hate me all you want....but Uncle Ted does not do us any favors either....

I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Can you not look at all the hunters here that have posted there hunts and realize how lucky we are. So he has to pay for a lease to hunt. Everthing comes with a cost now days. There not any sport thats cheap. I figure what you have spent shooting tournament you could have the best lease in Kansas.

There tons of public hunting in Kansas. My buddys are headed there next week. They always shoot good deer. Honestly you live in a state with lots of good deer hunting and sometimes we have to pay to hunt. Its what ever your prioritys are. If its inportant to you as it is me, you will find a way. Art and Ron Smart are up there this month hunting a lease.
    DB
    You would be surprized how little I spend on tournament shooting! Trust me, I am very thrifty!

That Vantage Elite (shooter program) I bought last year was the only brand new bow I have had in 3 years.

On the economic subject, I learned long ago to buy the best there is the first time so you don't have to replace it as often. The Swaro EL bino's around my neck are nearly 10 years old. I bought them only because could get $800 for the 10 year old pair of SLC's I had! The cost per year to use those SLC's was less than $10.

What pisses me off they sell the land and build a high class subdivision /golfcourse near a hunting lease. Nothing but greed and money

Old Archer

Smile Call Of the Wild!

I have put together a program my wife and I are calling "Call of the Wild".
    Working with my daughters teacher at her school, I will be instructing the young people about the critters that live in our woods. I use a couple of books, my own experiences and some game calls to get kids interested in the trees, the woods and all that is wild beyond there back yard. Most of them grow up only knowing the bark of a dog, and of course there other house pets.

This all started by accident because I stoped by my daughters school on the way to a squirrel hunting trip, the children were very curious and intrested in what the teacher and I were talking about. Before I realized it I had a audience of 20 kids all wanting to make sounds with the squirrel call and here more about the outdoors.

I will be giving my first little class on the Call of the Wild next week, we thought it fitting because some of those children will have fathers and Grandpas, and Uncles that will head out for Opening Day of Firearem here in
    Michigan.

My hope that maybe it will spark an interest in hunting, the outdoors and or the shooting sports. If one child in that class becomes interested in these outdoors activities that we all love and cheerish here, Maybe thats how we help our cause, bring more people to our interests!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Default Huntelk

I wouldnt trade any tournament or any hunt for the hunts I took with my son.

There nothing like taking your son or daughter to the woods hunting.

Everyone makes a choice.

Landowners owe us nothing. They pay big bucks for there land. Taxes are not cheap.

There public hunting for those who want to hunt.
    DB

Default Amen to That

Bunnymen you are 100 percent right.Amen to that brother amen.

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    So reading this thread....it would appear that some people have no idea what its like to not be able to "afford" a place to enjoy the activities that they love...

sure would be funny as hell to see the big guy here next week crying to everyone that his lease was being sold off and devided up right after this season...

its not always as easy as some people make it out to be...wonder how many had to give up those "pay to play" pieces of land with the economy in the crapper the way it has been and continues to go...

"Priorities", well I would love to have a nice place to hunt, but my 4 year old needs to eat too....

there are simply too many of these exact same "problems" being posted everyday to think the issue doesnt exsist...

The people that do this for a living are NOT helping the joe hunter, I dont care how big her boobs or how long her legs are.....

and you can hate me all you want....but Uncle Ted does not do us any favors either....

SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

sure would be funny as hell to see the big guy here next week crying to everyone that his lease was being sold off and divided up right after this season...

there are simply too many of these exact same "problems" being posted everyday to think the issue doesn't exist...

Classic Bunnyman for sure
    The Big Gov that is headed our way is gonna put a lot of us in the poaching mode
    we need to get it in our heads that we are headed for a one world gov and and communistic rule
    commies do not believe in God
    alot of us old timers are gonna make a stand
    some of you younger ones need to listen up or be a slave to these tyrants

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default 100% wrong

I wont be here compligning someone got my lease with more money. (Thats Life)

I have worked two jobs all my life from the time my mother died when I was fourteen. Bussed dishes until I was 16, worked for McDonald's until I was 18 and out of high school, 40 hrs a week during high school. Went to work as an electrician and have been doing ever sense. I don't complain and I don't look at the down side of life. I'm blessed and have supported my family the best I could. I never afforded any kind of hunting until I was older and saved enough money. I currently do lots of side work to pay for my hunting and tournaments. I'm defiantly a Po boy and if I lose my lease that I run for the land owner. I will move on and make the best of it.

I happen to share my lease with others who are less fortunate at times.

Bunnyman don't come here acting like you know me or have a clue. Post your opinions but leave my name out of your posts.

It gets rel old fast

Roy here in the video link has metal in his head from a bomb from the war in Iran. He appreciates life and hunts public land. I enjoy taking him hunting each year. Never complighn because it can always get worse quick. In the end what we did for others is what counts. Im old school and thats a good thing.

Video Link

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture424.flv
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 11-04-2009 at 07:24 AM.

I didn't see where he mentioned your name at all DB.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    I wont be here compligning someone got my lease with more money. (Thats Life)

I have worked two jobs all my life from the time my mother died when I was fourteen. Bussed dishes until I was 16, worked for McDonald's until I was 18 and out of high school, 40 hrs a week during high school. Went to work as an electrician and have been doing ever sense. I don't complain and I don't look at the down side of life. I'm blessed and have supported my family the best I could. I never afforded any kind of hunting until I was older and saved enough money. I currently do lots of side work to pay for my hunting and tournaments. I'm defiantly a Po boy and if I lose my lease that I run for the land owner. I will move on and make the best of it.

I happen to share my lease with others who are less fortunate at times.

Bunnyman don't come here acting like you know me or have a clue. Post your opinions but leave my name out of your posts.

It gets rel old fast

Roy here in the video link has metal in his head from a bomb from the war in Iran. He appreciates life and hunts public land. I enjoy taking him hunting each year. Never complighn because it can always get worse quick. In the end what we did for others is what counts. Im old school and thats a good thing.

Video Link

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...Picture424.flv

Were not worthy, were not worth, were not worthy

Lighten up man, not everything is a personal attack.

It's great your at a place in your life that you can afford a lease but not all of us can, and it's a tough pill to swallow to loose land you've hunted for year to people who offer nothing but a check book. The years of milking cows, throwing hay, and turning wrenches for hunting is all for nothing. Now that's the old school way of earning a spot to hunt.

Default Who you think Big guy is?

Quote Originally Posted by pse 24 View Post
    I didn't see where he mentioned your name at all DB.
    DB

Default No lighten up

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Were not worthy, were not worth, were not worthy

Lighten up man, not everything is a personal attack.

It's great your at a place in your life that you can afford a lease but not all of us can, and it's a tough pill to swallow to loose land you've hunted for year to people who offer nothing but a check book. The years of milking cows, throwing hay, and turning wrenches for hunting is all for nothing. Now that's the old school way of earning a spot to hunt.

It is a personal attack to make a comment like this. To tell me Im going to whine if I lose my hunting spot of ten years is not going to happen. I help guys all the time find places to hunt and know the reality of hunting.

I never find pleasure from anyone ever losing there hunting spots. I would find nothing funny about it. Bunnyman and me will never get along and he needs to stop making comments about me.

His comment

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 11-04-2009 at 10:26 AM.