You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Old Archer

Thumbs up Time Running Out!

Gee Wiz! where has the time gone? in only 12 days the Bullets will be flying and ruling for awhile! Is that Hoppe's I smell?
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

12 days..wow, our gun season dosent open untill first week in dec.
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Yep, it's looking like once again it's going be be a case of passing several deer during bow season waiting for the big one and then dragging the rifle out and filling the freezer. Maybe I can pick up a good doe this weekend before guns come in.
    Last edited by dbdcougar; 11-04-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Yeap I burnt up some black powder last weekend rechecking my scope on the muzzle loader.

I really wish they would change the gun season intil after the rut here in michigan, I think it would go along ways in helping some of the 1.5 year olds making it to 2.5 year olds.

But on a good note, now is a exciting time to be in a tree.

We still have the best 5 or 6 days of bowhunting in front of us. Friday Saturday and Sunday I'll be sitting all day if I can make it(my butt anyway). Come next Sunday all heck will break loose. Pumpkin suit army invades town

Welcome to Michigan. The only state with a 25 day gun season for bucks that starts in the peak of the breeding season. And everyone wonders why our bucks cant get any age??
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

I'm not up to those all day hunts like I use to be in my younger days....

but I have shot acouple of my best bucks in the middle of the day.

Been thinking about trying a middle of the day hunt, go out at 9am and hunt intil I can't sit still.

Got a doe with my bow last year on rifle opener.

Old Archer

Thumbs up Bullets in the Banks

I went to the range on Tuesday and rechecked three of my favorites myself!
    50cal Encore, 35Marlin, and 300 win mag for Encore. New Bullet this year for the 50 cal 338 power belt, nice group at 100yards. But the bow is going back up next week also!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
    Got a doe with my bow last year on rifle opener.

That's hard core right there....bow hunt on opening day with bullet flyin.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz49 View Post
    I went to the range on Tuesday and rechecked three of my favorites myself!
    50cal Encore, 35Marlin, and 300 win mag for Encore. New Bullet this year for the 50 cal 338 power belt, nice group at 100yards. But the bow is going back up next week also!

I use my encore muzzle loader for gun season too. I tried those dang burn power belts one year. Had a fit with them, it seemed the POI change every other day when the temp changed. I ended up using 250 grain hornady's SST with 130 grains of powder with fairly repeatable results out to 200 yards no matter what the temp.

Go back to the range and check it again on a cold day. If you only have close range shooting it's not going to bother you much but if your hunting open fields with long range shooting you might want to double check em.

The neighbors were sighting in last night. I could feel all of those small bucks dieing with every shot
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    The neighbors were sighting in last night. I could feel all of those small bucks dieing with every shot
    Sounds like the property behind mine.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

we have until dec 3 to hunt with a bow then the guns come out for 12 days

Old Archer

Thumbs up PowerBelts

Gator,

I have been using those bullets for three years, cold weather or hot dead on from my gun. I can pull a 3inch group at 100yards with the 270 or the 338 grain bullet. Powder, primers, and barrel condition all factor accuracy. No barrel lube, in fact dry out barrel before loading, I use the original Pyrodex pellets, and 209 primers from winchester, Many folks like triple seven in the powder and primers, however in my Encore I found the pressures to high can cause inconsistany. My Encore was built in 2000, it is one of 300 called the Michigan Millium, that barrel has a 1:28 twist. Its important to match the twist to there bullet chart. Sorry you had trouble with them, maybe had I been there that day I could have helped you dial it in. Truth be know 41 years ago at age 14 it what my Grandpa, put in my hands for my first Hunt in Pinkney Michigan. That was a 45cal Hopkin and Allen Underhammer. Ah the good old days with the smell of Black Powder in the Air! God I miss that Old Man!. Good Luck.. Grizz

Old Archer

Lightbulb Bow And Bullets

I will not have Bow in Hand on 11/15, but getting up there next Wedesday afternoon will give me a little time to try and get back on the Board sort ta speak with the Reezen in Hand!

grizz nice info i will use that on my tc and see what happens

Old Archer

Lightbulb To armyof1

There recently has been a ton of new imformation coming out that would explain some of those so called FLYERS that we all get from time to time!
    Check this site when you have time! It was interesting.

www.prbullet.com/ interesting reading! 209 primer can dislodge saboted bullets!, causing flyers

www.powerbeltbullets.com/

you will have to search the site but you can look up your own rifle find the twist and get a good choise of the right bullets

i added those links to my favorites thanks again grizz