You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Talking Opinions Please: Single or Multi Pin Sights

I am wondering what style of sight to purchase. Single or Multi Pin Sights. Outside of the requirements for the different forms of compatition. Which do you prefer?

In addition, how does one adjust for range on a single pin sight. I think I understand how it is done for the multi pin rack.

Your input would be greatly appriciated.

Old Archer

Thumbs up Multi-Pin!

I never wanted to go hung up adjusting a single pin when Mr. big arrives, three or four is all you need!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Default I'm with Grizz

At first, or last, light, the last thing I want to mess with is a range adjustment, especially since I'd have to put on my reading glasses first. Bye bye, deer.

I use a single fixed pin myself...have NO desire to go back to a multi-pin..I love the clear and simple sight picture I get.

I have it set about 2 inches high at 15-20yds then dead on for 30-33 yds and hold a few inches high at 40-45 yds.
    Last edited by hunter2678; 11-05-2009 at 07:57 AM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Quote Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
    At first, or last, light, the last thing I want to mess with is a range adjustment, especially since I'd have to put on my reading glasses first. Bye bye, deer.
    I have to go with these two also, the above poster said he has it set, so he doesn't adjust which would be the way I would want it, but if I was going to do that I would personally just get multiple fixed pins. I love my fixed pins and love knowing how much I have to hold up on those odd distance shots. You may like a single pin better, but this is just my personal opinion.
    Mountain Outdoors Shooter

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

i am using both fixed on my hunting bow and slider single pin on my target bow

Obviously there are pros and cons to single vs multiple pins. I like 3 pins to hunt with, but where I hunt I don't have any shots beyond 40, and thats a long stretch for my stands. So I set up 20-30-40 . You gotta go with what you think will work best for you. I have a co-worker who is a bowhunting killer, and he uses a single pin set at about 25 yards. The choice is yours, there is no right or wrong.
    FBSA Member

Old Archer

Thumbs up Yep! Thats Right!

Its why we have proudly served, so that you can have a choice! As long as you are happy we are happy! A special Thank you to the men and women in harms way! with out you are hunts would not be possible! Again Thank You and Be Safe!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter2678 View Post
    I use a single fixed pin myself...have NO desire to go back to a multi-pin..I love the clear and simple sight picture I get.

I have it set about 2 inches high at 15-20yds then dead on for 30-33 yds and hold a few inches high at 40-45 yds.
    Thinking same.Will buy HHA DS 5000, just don t now what size of fiber optic to take .019 or .010

Quote Originally Posted by hunter2678 View Post

Thinking same.Will buy HHA DS 5000, just don t now what size of fiber optic to take .019 or .010

Quote Originally Posted by BERKUTMAX View Post
    I don't know what class you shoot if you even target shoot but the HHAs will put you in a higher class, I like .010 especially since they are not that far from your bow.

Quote Originally Posted by BERKUTMAX View Post
    Well that HHA is wrapped in 36 inches of extra fiber to gather light..my buddy has the .19 and it glows like crazy...too much for me...I prefer .010s for target shooting hands down...but for hunting a .19 is what i use in the swords.

depending on the size of the hole in your peep depends on the size of the sight pins you would use correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by armyof1 View Post
    depending on the size of the hole in your peep depends on the size of the sight pins you would use correct ?
    Not really, it's more about the housing on the sights, the peep is supposed to cover the entire housing on the sights.

looks like i need a smaller peep then

Quote Originally Posted by armyof1 View Post
    looks like i need a smaller peep then
    Whatever sight housing ring size you decide to go with...get a peep that will fit perfectly around on or on top of the edges of the sight housing at full draw..thats at least how I set my bows up. I dont like to have alot of daylight between the peep ring and the housing ring, nor do I like a peep thats too small and covers up the inside of the sight housing either at full draw. Make sense army? Draw length and string angle also play a part in this whole equation. My target bow has smaller pins .010, smaller pin housing ring 1.75 inch and smaller peep 1/8...hunting rig has 2.25 inch housing ring, .19 pin and a 3/16 peep.
    Last edited by hunter2678; 11-06-2009 at 12:45 PM.

hold your mouth right newmission's Avatar

I'm a new archer and hunter just starting out this year. I had no clue what a "good" bow was or even about any of the THOUSANDS of available accessories. I bought and sold a few used bows until I learned about the details.

Without a doubt is personal preference!

As a new archer, I found my niche with a single pin sight. I'm using an Impact Archery Omega slider and LOVE IT!!! This bow I use to hunt with BTW. Where I hunt in the woods, dear walk right under me so my shots would never be more than 10-20yrds out to the ground. My 10 and 20yrd setting are almost the same, about a 16th off. You learn to aim high, after a little practice it comes natural.

The sight picture with a single pin is SO much nicer and relaxing than worrying about what branches are hiding behind them multi pin studs blocking your view. But again that's just me. I also found the blue of a G5 meta peep helps greatly when lining up a quick shot.

Good luck to ya!

i am using a trophy rige 5 pin and my peep has a 3/8 hole in it i think i need to go down to a 1/8 or a 3/16 because i see all the way around my sight housing