You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hold your mouth right newmission's Avatar

Default How to cut arrows and best glue?

I've had my eye on some GT Expedition Hunters with vanes at a local sporting goods store ready to cut. The place has a saw but the manager refuses to buy a new wheel for the thing. I'm not in the market to buy a saw, but do have a dremel!

Any jig for setup ideas to cut carbon arrows with a dremel? Maybe use a couple machining V-blocks? Or is it a bad idea all together?

Also any good cheap glues to use? I've read about CA+ and Goat Tuff? And any prep before glue?

Thanks ya'll!

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

dremal not a good idea i use locktite super glue and i clean the inside of the arrow with fingernail polish remover and a q-tip

Quote Originally Posted by newmission View Post
    ....Also any good cheap glues to use?
    I've tried some relatively expensive glues and have come to the conclusion that the second you open the bottle the clock starts ticking. I'm thinking that they purge the bottles with an inert gas to extend shelf life and, over time, the oxygen degrades the contents. Got tired of throwing away half a bottle at a crack. I now buy the cheapest glue you can get at Wall-Mart. It comes in a package of 4, 0.11oz tubes and it's called "Super Glue" (black tubes with white lettering). I am currently shooting feathers and Fusion vanes with absolutely no problem. Make sure you prep your arrows correctly and give it a shot.

locktight superglue is a gel no runny messand it only a few bucks @ walmart in the hardware section

Good call on the good glues! I like the idea of the gels and Walmart!

But still stuck on how to cut these things. Is there really something about 8,000rpms that cuts an arrow any cleaner than 35,000rpms of a dremel?

I mean if I can set up a straight cut, we should be all good right?

you can make a good cutoff saw with a dremel. it depends on how much time you want to put into it. slap it together and you have junk. for points and inserts I use a hot melt low temp glue. it will flex enough so it wont break loose like super glue will. never had a point come out with hot melt. also points are easy to get out if you want to change them.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Default Hot Melt Glue

Now when you say "hot melt", that's the regular stick like hot glue for crafts right? Or no?

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    you can make a good cutoff saw with a dremel. it depends on how much time you want to put into it. slap it together and you have junk. for points and inserts I use a hot melt low temp glue. it will flex enough so it wont break loose like super glue will. never had a point come out with hot melt. also points are easy to get out if you want to change them.

Yeap, I have used a dremel too. for me they turned out just a tad off center but I squared them up with a G5 ASD and in the end it was all good.

I prefer hot glue for tips too, easy to remove if you have tom, but never lost a tip on accident.

with the gel locktight i have had great sucess with if you need to remove the insurt just heat the tip and the glue melts

Default trick's

ill tell ya some trick's
    before i got a cutoff saw for a year when carbon 1st came out i was cutting carbon/graphite arrows with a hacksaw..lol..no joke...you can determine the length..wrap electric tape around all your arrows about 3-4 times tight..mark with whiteout like for typeing. put in a vise not too tight just to hold..cut in a stright line a couple strokes will pop it off...cut about 1/8 inch longer than u want. take the tape off....take a sanding block or just hold a piece of sand paper on a bench or board and sand down in a circular motion until you get the right length..its really fast i do a doz..in like 5 min..you really dont need a saw..and glue..goat tuff all i use...if you dont have 100buxs for a saw heres a trick that really works..kenny
    Last edited by kbohunt; 11-06-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

cool good to know in a pinch situation

Quote Originally Posted by newmission View Post
    I've had my eye on some GT Expedition Hunters with vanes at a local sporting goods store ready to cut. The place has a saw but the manager refuses to buy a new wheel for the thing. I'm not in the market to buy a saw, but do have a dremel!

Any jig for setup ideas to cut carbon arrows with a dremel? Maybe use a couple machining V-blocks? Or is it a bad idea all together?

Also any good cheap glues to use? I've read about CA+ and Goat Tuff? And any prep before glue?

Thanks ya'll!
    I was gonna buy an arrow saw, till I tried my bandsaw. If you have one, just make a sliding jig to fit your miter slot and support the arrow along the first
    6" or so, and a piece of stock longer than the arrow with a clamp for repetive cuts. Wrap the cut site in blue painters tape, and another a few inches down so the shaft will lay straight on the jig. I use a Timberwolf 1/4" 8 TPI blade, and it makes clean cuts with no splintering because of the tape. DO NOT use a table or miter saw. I tried both, so take my word for it.
    Hot melt glue for the point inserts. CCA for the nock inserts. Be sure and chamfer the cut sites a little with a CS or other chamfering tool.

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

I got this years "Competition" arrows in for the family (2 dozen Victory NanoForce V1 and 2 Dozen Victory X-RingerHV V1) and I'm so very glad I purchased my own Arrow Saw. I'm waiting on another 2 dozen and then I'm going to mix up a batch of HIT epoxy and glue in the Nib Points..

So, if you pay postage both ways (ZIP 38134) I'd be happy to cut them to lenght, and epoxy the inserts in for you, no charge... I hate to waste that epoxy and it only takes me about 15 seconds per arrow to cut.

Same goes for anybody else here.

Glue day is planned for the Friday after Thanksgiving....
    Arrows will be back in the mail 30NOV
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Hey thanks for all the advise and tricks of the trade!

I ended up bring a wheel to the shop and they cut my arrows. But I think I'll cut them myself with a dremel next time.

When home and plugged in the hot glue gun, and cleaned all my arrows and inserts with some acetone. Got all ready with with glue and slapped some on the insert and put it in place. Well.....half way in place! Then spent another half hour picking the glue off that cooled before the insert was all the way in place! Needless to say, I hopped in the car and went to walmart to get some locktite super glue gel. Slapped my inserts in the proper orientation with the vanes and was ready to go! I liked the way the super glue seemed to soak into the carbon around the tip. Perhaps a little less likely to splinter any loose fibers.

Here's a hint on the glue..Store it in the fridge..

i do the same thing . i keep mine in the shelf with the door on it

I bought a "Mini cut off saw" off ebay for about $30. It works amazingly well and squares the arrow accurately. I have a G5 squaring tool and it has never improved my arrow flight, even with broadheads. As far as prep for inserts, I use a 270 cal. brass bore brush on a coardless drill for the inside of the arrow shaft. Then I blow the dust out and clean it with Qtips and 99% rubbing alcohol until the Qtip remains white. Before fletching, I scrub the shaft with scouring powder on a green scotch bright pad. I thoroughly rinse it under hot water and wipe with a clean towel. Then I do a final 99% rubbing alcohol wipe with a clean paper towel and allow it to dry before fletching. The scouring powder made a real differance in the bond over just sanding. Within reason, I don't believe glue brand matters much.

cool tips to put into the files in the brain

bowtecbowhunter bowtecbowhunter's Avatar

Default cutting arrows

Here's a way in which you [might not have thought of] can cut and keep a nice clean cut.[IMG]How to cut arrows and best glue? - General Archery Forum [/IMG] Never mind the other stuff in the pic that was for another project.
    Redneck Deerslayer

but that doesnt work on carbon though