You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Trail cam project

I reached the point where I was tired of spending money replacing the batteries weekly on my Wild Game Innovations trail cam.

It's not too bad of a trail cam, for the price... but it is hell on batteries, usually takes 4 C cells which lasted about 2 weeks.

I found that it runs great on a 6 volt rechargeable lantern type battery, coupled with a 6 volt solar panel, should last for months without worrying about missing pictures.

I wanted something slightly compact, weather proof storage for the rechargeable battery and connections, easy to carry and mount all as one unit.

Started with a .50 cal ammo can, couple bungee cords, eye bolts & other hardware, silicon, about 12" of wire and some alligator clips, heat shrink tubing and came up with this.

All it required was removing 4 screws from the camera body, extending the wiring harness, drilling a small hole on the underside of the camera body to route wires into the ammo can, adding alligator clips and tubing, seal it up and presto...

Attachment 18435

Attachment 18436
    Last edited by CutTheLoop; 01-12-2010 at 03:20 PM.

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

cuttheloop you stole my ide kinda lol. i am in the process of the same thing but my cam uses D cell 4 of them and i am using a remote controll car battery . so all i have to do is change the battery with another on and take it home to charge and it fits in the same battery compartment as the d-cell did . but that is very ingenius . let me know how it works and i will do the same

Quote Originally Posted by armyof1 View Post
    cuttheloop you stole my ide kinda lol. i am in the process of the same thing but my cam uses D cell 4 of them and i am using a remote controll car battery . so all i have to do is change the battery with another on and take it home to charge and it fits in the same battery compartment as the d-cell did . but that is very ingenius . let me know how it works and i will do the same

Works great so far, I mounted it to a tree in the backyard with bungee cords, easily... still have to go to Tractor Supply and pick up a 6 volt solar panel.

cool did you put silicone behind the cam where the wire run through the ammo can

cool did you put silicone behind the cam where the wire run through the ammo can

Yep, every hole I had to drill got a good dose of silicone inside and out, and the wiring hole, a rubber grommet.

ok just asking . would have ben cool to mount the cam guts inside the amo can , but that is another idea all together

ok just asking . would have ben cool to mount the cam guts inside the amo can , but that is another idea all together

Yeah, that's my next project. I have about 5 more of these "cheepo" cams and plenty of ammo cans to cut up.

i only have the one cam so if you do it let me know i am very interested in doing things like that

Old Archer

Lightbulb Now theres an Idea!

You Got Love good old American Know How! Good Job!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

I have had a Moultrie D 40 the cheap one ought for a month now and still on 99% with a 12 volt brick battery little bigger than the 6 volt you have used here. I used a plastic ammo box and insulated with a foam egg crate stuff lying around from old camera box. The insulation is for the nights it gets down in the teens and normally drains battery overnight. Hope it passes the test. Should of took pics. I did not use as one unit. Have wire run to ground where box sits. Squirrels may get to the wire..... I need to buy a solar panel as well wonder how well they work in timber, VS like out west texas it gets plenty of sun. But twenty dollars on battery that should last several years and not worrying if battery went dead in a matter of days should be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
    I have had a Moultrie D 40 the cheap one ought for a month now and still on 99% with a 12 volt brick battery little bigger than the 6 volt you have used here. I used a plastic ammo box and insulated with a foam egg crate stuff lying around from old camera box. The insulation is for the nights it gets down in the teens and normally drains battery overnight. Hope it passes the test. Should of took pics. I did not use as one unit. Have wire run to ground where box sits. Squirrels may get to the wire..... I need to buy a solar panel as well wonder how well they work in timber, VS like out west texas it gets plenty of sun. But twenty dollars on battery that should last several years and not worrying if battery went dead in a matter of days should be worth it.

Foam is a good idea! I got some of that laying around. Thanks for the tip.

i raped mine in the egg crate foam for beds

Default Good idea

Really is a good idea.

But heck all Texans are rich!
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers