You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Unhappy Lost Doe This Morning

I was siting in my treestand this morning when I noticed 2 yearlings walking down the corn.. They got about 10 yards from me and just hung out for a while.. I knew mom had to be close by.. A little while later here she comes.. I let her get to about 15 yards she turned broadside and looked behind her I pulled back then she turned and started to walk towards me again I held it tell she got to 10 yards seemed like forever. I went ahead and shot her in the chest. I didn't see where it hit the arrow is to fast for that close. I got down just to check out my arrow it was a pass thru bloody point to nock. I got back up in my treestand and waited to see if anything else would still be coming.. I have her an hour and went to look. I noticed a pretty good blood trail on the edge of the corn... About 75 yrds from my stand I seen 4 big pools of blood about 1 foot around each. The blood went into the corn.. I followed the blood trail for about 100 yds into the corn.. Sometimes there was pools of blood the other times they were just drops. I finally ran out of blood trail.. I stuck my arrow in the ground where the last drop was and walked about 30 yd circle around my arrow I could not find anymore blood or my doe.. I thought for sure she had to be pretty close.. I don't know if it was a bad shot or she ran out of blood?? There was alot of blood on the ground. I guess it happens this was the first deer I have shot with my bow I was pretty dissappointed.... But thats hunting... All I can do is climb back up tomorrow and try again... At least I have a HIT under my belt..
    Hunt Hard or Don't GO

hits and not recovering sucks.....I know this from experience......could someone have found the deer and takin it??you may have just glanced of the chest....what broadheads do you use and how severe was the angle.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I lost one about 10 years ago. Got a good shot, good blood trail then all of a sudden nothing. My buddy and I tracked him for almost 100 yards through the woods and like a ghost JUST GONE. I ran out of light lookin for him, went back the next morning before work for a couple hours, No luck.

2 weeks later my buddy got a doe in the same spot. She ran maybe 50 yrds. When he got to her she was laying right next to my deer . He must have doubled back or circled around. He was actually 40 yrds closer to my blind than we thought on the backside of a downed tree. That was the first one I ever lost and thank the lord it was the last.

Losing that deer was the worst feeling I've ever had

the feeling is almost as bad as when we found out my fiance had cancer....

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    hits and not recovering sucks.....I know this from experience......could someone have found the deer and takin it??you may have just glanced of the chest....what broadheads do you use and how severe was the angle.....
    I was using Montec G5 Broadhead... I was about 12 feet in the air at 10 yards. I don't think anyone else should have grabbed it. There should not have been anyone within a couple miles of where I hunt..
    Hunt Hard or Don't GO

sounds like you have the mystery vanishing doe there......

Default It Sucks!

I hit a doe a couple of weeks ago. She was broadside, but must have been turned towards me a little when I hit her. I hit a little further back than I wanted. When I got down I didn’t find my arrow and eventually found my arrow about 40 yards away. Based off of the arrow and the blood, I could tell it was a liver shot. To make a long story short, I never found her after 4-5 hours of searching at night. And was unable to look for it the next day.

The next day I felt like crap and since I know I killed it and was unable to recover the deer… I filled out my tag and sent it in.

A lost deer that really sucks , In my expierences with deer if you have a good shot and they do not drop within first 50-70yrds. they seem to start hooking back.(as I said that is with my expierences). Well the coyotes will eat good. Maybe you hit low enough in the chest it was superfical(not likley with the amount of blood that you discribed). A chest shot with a bow is generally not a good shot choice . Sorry to hear about not being able to recover your deer.

i have lost deer on two occasions the first one was the first year i hunted i shot a 6 poiter in the sholder blade but it didnt penetrate, then this year i had a doe tag and made a higher shot than i wanted there was good bloor for awhile then like a ghost she was gone both times i lost them i looked for a long time when i finally realized it was a lost cause i felt sick for just leaving them lay
    Fred Bear Buckmaster series, TruGlo 5 pin ultraGlo,
    whisker biscut, Limbsaver S-coil
    Carbon Express Terminators, 125gr. Muzzzy 3 Blade, Blazer veins

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Yes this is a very frustrating part of hunting. I have found that if the deer runs with her tail down it is a mortal wound, Also if I think it is a marginal hit such as in the chest or to far back, liver, or femoral artey I get down as quickly as possible and push the deer to keep the blood flowing to do my best to bleed her out not giving her time to patch the hole up. They will put stuffing in the hole I have seen that . I had a 8 pointer pull out the intestines as I had an extreme quarting shot that went in behind the ribs but out through the heart and chest. He live for 35 miniutes. He layed down after only going 40 yards. If you have a gut shot wait at least 8 hrs. If you can,you do not see her bed down sneak out as quitely as you can for they will get up if spooked and really go for a long way, also the deer will some times follow a trail and turn to the side that it is hit on on some occasions. I hopre this helps you and I wish you many deadly shots , God Bless, Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default anti's

It happens I just hope no anti's are reading this.

Site Guru

that sucks. I was there earlier in the season and the blood was similar to how you described it except it wasn't pool, it was more of a thick spray (looks liked it was coughed up). We tracked her for about a mile and never found her. the trail just completely vanished.
    No I'm not dead