You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default So here it is......

supposed to get up at 4:45.....

5:17-thought I was haveing a bad dream when the alarm went off so when I rolled over and the clock said ....I rushed around grabed a shower, thru on some clothes and made the 20 mile trip to my buddies house.....

6:10-Got to my buddies house

6:30-got in my stand

7:00-2 button bucks come out of nowhere from my right w/2 more deer behind them......at one point the first button buck is about six inches from the tree I am in.....(had to look down thru the platform of the stand to see it)

7:30-2 Racoons come thru the are and are about 75 yrds out.....

8:00- here a noise behind me, so I am looking in that direction.....when all of sudden I here that crunching in the leaves that can only come from two things in my area....a bear and a deer....well its a deer and guess what its a nice one....

well its on one side of a fence and I am on the other about 70 yrds away....he lloks to be a pretty nice deer and seems to have at least 8 points hes headed for my buddy and I am contemplating calling him on the radio and telling him to get ready......well I watching the deer and low and behold its headed my way.......must have been a low spot in the fence.....well here it comes and hes not wasting any time.....

he looks as though he is going to pass on my right but my hunch that he will turn and go to the left pays off and he is going to step out at any second....well I grunt to stop him and what does he do? stops instantly, not taking that last step they always do well all I can see is his neck and hes about 15yrds or so I thought.....ends up being like 22yds....the tree to the left of it was 15yrds not that one so I figure a good neck shot and he will be either paralized or unable to breath and will expire bleading out.....

well thats not the way it happens and the arrow goes low way low and I acctually thought it was a complete miss......he did not even act like he was hurt.....ran off and ran back up the fence and out of sight.....

Called my buddy on the radio and told him what happened....well he came up to meet me at the top of the hill....he finds my arrow as I am climbing down and says you got blood, not good blood but you still got blood, know my heart is sinking....and I am getting that sick feeling in my stomach.....

There is a small amount of white hairs on the broad head....and no blood till the fletchings....fletchings have a small amount of blood on them......

we look over the area where he was standing and where he ran to.....found a small amount of blood and where he went back across the fence.....as soon as the trail started up the next ridge the blood got very thin.....like a drop every 20 or so feet and then every fifty or a hundred feet then nothing.....

So now I am getting pretty worried and decided to call in deer search....they were going to be a couple of hours.....called a buddy w/a tracking dog and looked for the next 4 hours......no more blood and even the dog lost the trail.......so my first thought of hitting very low in the neck and maybe making just a grazing wound is most likely true......I must have put about 15 miles on my legs today......and if i thought the deer was mortally wounded I would have put another 15 miles.......but all i can do is think what I should have done.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default what was that about grunting?????

Not then either
    Mathews DXT

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer

You were using a grunt call though werent you, I was using my voice to kind of grunt/bleat at the deer to stop him as he was walking tofast for the shot....
    I cut things up and split them down!