You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default 1st Year Hunter Looking for Advice & Tips

I am having no luck.
    I have not seen a single deer while in my stand.
    I am 15-20 yards off a well used trail with good cover between bed/feed areas.
    I have moved my Stand 3 time thinking I may have been paterned.
    I use moderet Sent Control(lower end Field and stream sent shield clothing, I use the spray and the wash and Ruber Boots).
    I move slow and quiet getting in about 30mins before shooting lite.
    I use my climber that is locked at the bottom of the tree.
    I know the rut just started but gun season starts on the 17th and I can't hunt Sunday.
    Mathews DXT 57lbs 278fps 351grain

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

studz we are all having the same trouble i havnt seen a deer in about a week now

Quote Originally Posted by Studz View Post
    I am having no luck.
    I have not seen a single deer while in my stand.
    I am 15-20 yards off a well used trail with good cover between bed/feed areas.
    I have moved my Stand 3 time thinking I may have been paterned.
    I use moderet Sent Control(lower end Field and stream sent shield clothing, I use the spray and the wash and Ruber Boots).
    I move slow and quiet getting in about 30mins before shooting lite.
    I use my climber that is locked at the bottom of the tree.
    I know the rut just started but gun season starts on the 17th and I can't hunt Sunday.
    most people think that they should hunt right off a major trail but that is not always true. big bucks usally dont walk the heavily used trails they will often walk along side of the main trial in thicker cover. this is because often the main trail is not adequitly covered and does make them feel secure. also try finding where they bed and where there food source is. i dont know whether or not you have your own land or if your hunting public but you should find a trail that goes between the two. also try not to move your stand aqround to much this will spread your scent throughout your hunting area.
    hope i have helped you

If the deer are still using the runway, either they have gone nocturnal, or they are moving during daylight hours that you're not hunting. Could you be spooking bedding areas during entry? Have you tried hunting from 10am to 3pm or untill dark? If the deer are there and I'm consistantly not seeing any, either my timing is off, I'm spooking them, or someone else is.

I think for any beginning hunter a good way to start is by hunting funnels or bottlenecks. Any place that kinda forces deer to travel through a narrowed spot can be a good place to start. Anytime I am going into a new area, the first thing I do is look at aerial photos and topos to find funnels. I start there and can expand once I start to learn the place a little better.

Examples of funnels:

Where a creek bends to create a narrow strip of timber between the creek and the field.

An inside corner.

a narrow strip of timber between a bluff and a field or creek.

There are all kinds of funnels everywhere. Some funnels are big and some funnels are small and you can find small funnels inside the big funnels.

I hunted a 70 acre farm in Iowa that, in and of itself, was a large funnel. On the east and west side there were lots of corn fields with timber etc. On the South a BIG bluff curved up to the south boundry of this farm and on the north it just opened up to flat pasture. Every deer moving from east to west was almost forced through this farm. When shotgun season opened up and people were out doing drives, it was not unusual for 100 deer to come through this farm in a morning.

Find one the deer are using and try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 48down; 11-16-2009 at 11:42 AM.

jim

Funnels, bottlenecks and fence rows are a good choice

Stop leaving your climmer in the at the bottom of the tree or spray it down with a scent killer at least. Is it downwind of the trail?
    FBSA Member

Default Not seeing any deer

Studz -

Not seeing deer on stand is the most frustrating thing. I hate it. I have been seeing so many deer but Rifle opened here in NC and now the daylight hour sightings are going way down. Try everything the others have suggested...all great advice. I also recommend the book "Hunting Pressured Whitetails" by Chris Eberhardt. This book is the bomb and won't take long to read over the cold winter.

I "hunt" more in the off season and especially in Jan and Feb than I do in the season. I hunt for every sign the deer have left to tell me their habits and movement patterns. Then take those learning to your topo and pencil in the findings. I found a frequently used rub line that has been used at least two years. I just found it during season. I have stayed off it and will investiagte in Jan. take notes and hang a stand in June or earlier. I do not want to change his environment and move him nocturnal or move him to a different route. Scent control, silence, not letting them sense something new and more scent control and using the wind is a must. If you have a climber and practiced at higher heights go HIGH go high in the tree. This will disperse more of your scent if you do smell like a human. I hunt at 24 feet and have a buck on the ground (21 OCT) at this height. Practice because your target point changes when they come in close.

Time on the stand will allow you to see the deer even off in the distance and then get the homework done in the off season still trying to be scent free.

Good luck and happy hunting.

if i am hunting a new area i do not have time to scout i try to find where a couple trails come together or a crossroads. that way instead of hunting 1 trail you can hunt 2 or more. and i like at least 2 spots so i can always (try to stay) downwind. good luck
    08 DIAMOND MARQUIS 70# 29" / TROPHY TAKER EXTREME / COBRA SIDEWINDER 5 PIN / 340 mfx team realtree /