You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Can different releases improve accuracy?

I shoot a true fire release and I shoot well with it, but I am curious if I went with a different style that will work for hunting as well improve my accuracy? I have seen the thumb and back tension releases and I wonder if it would make a difference. Any thoughts on this.

Default b.t.

if you are not having problems with your shooting ,like target panic i would stay with what you have. a b.t will help you hold a little more steady most times but takes a while to learn to shoot 'right'. if you could borrow a b.t. and give it a try before spending 100+ would be good. ever one i know that went to a b.t.had their scores go up, but took awhile. they all had a problem with target panic.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by phone guy View Post
    I shoot a true fire release and I shoot well with it, but I am curious if I went with a different style that will work for hunting as well improve my accuracy? I have seen the thumb and back tension releases and I wonder if it would make a difference. Any thoughts on this.
    It can depending on how you feel about your current release and the shooter.

I have a wrist tru-fire wrist release and a Tru Pro-diamond. I am signifigantly more accurate with the diamond.

1. "trigger" is much smoother, less chance of jerking the shot

2. more steady anchor point for me, I have a difficult time anchoring in the same place every time with a wrist release

3. no strap stretch / can't put it on to loose or to tight

Wrist straps are awesome for hunting, but for the most part they aren't used extensively for target shooting, I know from my personal experience that I cannot shoot as accurately w/ a wrist release as with a thumb release.
    No I'm not dead

Default b.t.

i just read your other post about creep,punch, drive by. this makes it a lot easier, get a b.t.

you might want to consider this fact! 99.9% of pro shooters shoot a hand held release! please dont take it wrong but trufire does not make any thing that is going to be accurate because one thing.....trigger travel. thats what sets all hand hend releases apart from rist releases. if you are a punch shooter or you are a pro curcit shooter the two things that will help you get better is this.........a backtension release or a good thumb release at 3-5 yards with eyes closed for the first 2 months than you step up and open your eyes for about 2 weeks than you put a target up and try to shoot hole for hole. once you shoot a round exactly in the center than take one step back and do it again. if you drop one arrow out of dead center go all the way back up. do this exerise til the cows come home and you will be improving two things; your form{the least important aspact about archery} and your mind{the most important part about archery}. this exersize teaches your mind to center and than hit center! i started out with a backtension release and successfully beat punching!!! in the beginning after about 3 months of hard core blank baleing my score stared from 294/36x to now about a year later 299/49x, the last arrow was when i lost the point because i was in a rush for time. try this and see if you dont have success!!! but remember the bt release is not the ''fix it'' release, the point of this exersize is to get your mind in the state of mind that you can draw, aim, and successfully have a suprise release with out the thought of missing!! god blesss and have fun!!!

remember its all about your mind!!!! not your equipment! i now shoot a tru ball little boss, its the best release ive ever shot! i even like it better than any carter! carters are good but the thing that is bad about them is the more heavier the tension the more the travel! not a good thing! tru ball releases no travel changes no matter the weight

By back tension release do you mean no thumb trigger. I seem to hold like a rock to the left of the spot and I keep looking at the spot hopeing that my mind will take over and thus the spot. I think alot of my problem is I am forcing the shot and that is causing me to punch. Can you guys suggest a good release to try. I am pretty tight with the bow shop owner in my area. He will let me try what he has. Thanks alot

yes, no trigger. i had a problem something like your's only i would freeze up on the right side of the spot. when drawing the bow i would try to hold on the spot. this way if b.t. went off i might still get a score. 'wrong'. anyway i started holding above the spot and coming down after i got my anchor point set. this stopped the right freeze up. a buddy of mind would freeze below the spot. he adjusted his sight for it and started holding below the spot and would shoot a lot of 298-299 but a low X count.

Long cut .... Would a back tension release or the the thumb fire be practical for hunting situations?

i would go with the thumb release. i hunted with a b.t. one year with no problems. i killed two deer that year. but i missed a turkey with it. i had to shoot thur a small opening and the b.t. did'nt go off when i needed it to. i have never killed a turkey with a bow and it was a good chance,but i missed. with a thumb release i think i would have hit it. anyway i went back to my thumb release. hunting turkeys with a bow is like hunting spooks in a graveyard

Site Guru

thumb release for hunting without a doubt... because sometimes you can't wait for that perfect shot and also with some of the angles you ahve to shoot at getting a BT to go off would be nearly impossible
    No I'm not dead

Unfortunately, there is no "magic" release that will immediately make you a better shooter. I know because I've looked for it and it just is not out there.

The reason that we are told that if you want to shoot well, you should use a back tension hinge release is that it is part of a whole program that builds your form and makes you look at all parts of your form and what it is doing. Any release can be shot well with back tension and any release can be punched.

Typically when an archer decides to get serious about accuracy, they get a hinge type BT release. Immediately their scores drop, but then as they learn to shoot with consistent form that includes back tension, their scores gradually improve and keep improving as long as they consistently practice their overall form. A BT release is quick and easy to learn to use, but takes a long time to master.

The key to being accurate with any release is to break the connection between the sight picture and the release execution. You don't want your mind to think "NOW". That is command shooting which most can't do accurately - also called punching. The idea is to hold the pin on the target and let the release execution occur subconsciously. This is called the surprise release.

Typically a beginner will aim and when he sees the pin on or appoaching the target, he will change his mental focus to his release to get it to go off. If your timing is good, this can be very accurate. But then... they notice a slight flinch. Still, the majority of their arrows are on target. But every now and then they have a few "fliers" due to this little annoying "flinch". If not corrected, it continues to get worse, until their confidence is shot, and they are not sure if they can hit the target with their next arrow.

A new release won't cure this, but it can be an essential part of the cure. Usually, it helps to change to a different release, but only if you are going to work on your overall form.

Much depends on what you plan to do with archery. If you are planning to shoot the target circuit, most of the winners are shooting a thumbtrigger release. Some are shooting the hinge BT releases and a few are shooting the wrist trigger releases.

It's not the release, the bow, the arrow or any other piece of equipment, it's the archer that puts the arrow on the target. Some equipment will make it a little easier, but it's the archery that does the job.

Good luck
    Allen

all you need to shot a release is, good form,practice,concentration,practice,discipline,pr actice, and a understanding wife.

long cut can you recommend a good thumb fire release? Or a couple to try I have never looked into them.

I have a good wife, she shoots with me.. She also is able to shoot as well as I can only in half of the time... I quess women don't have to worry about the ego thing. She shoots very well. Thanks for all your guys help I am taking a break from shooting for a week to see if I can shake this I don't want to practice bad form. Please get back to me about those releases.

phone guy they are all OK. i like the cater thumb releases. i would get one that the head swivels. i think they would be a little more forgiving. for hunting i shoot CARTER SOMETHING its a older release. it can be shot as a thumb or a pinkie release. for spots i shoot a T.R.U.BALL ULTRA SWEET SPOT TWO. hope this help.

thanks alot

Sometimes, just the simple act of switching to a thumb release can help or cure punching because the thumb is not as hard-wired to the brain as the "trigger finger." It sure worked for me. Any release by Carter is top of the line. A lot of people used the Chocolate addiction for target and hunting. I switched to the Chocolate lite and now prefer it above any other.

well in my opinion if you go to a BT release you will love it after you get use to it. It will help you holding steady you just half to practice with it and not be scared of it. Patience is the key. Good luck with you decision.
    T.R.U Ball Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery Staff Shooter