You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Speeds for different lbs

I have a shoulder issue and would like to drop to a 50lb bow. Since speeds are shown for 30" 70lb, how do u know what a bow would shoot at 27" 50lb without shooting it first?

Default ha bud

Quote Originally Posted by RepairMan View Post
    I have a shoulder issue and would like to drop to a 50lb bow. Since speeds are shown for 30" 70lb, how do u know what a bow would shoot at 27" 50lb without shooting it first?
    there's alot of ways to go at speed and alot to explain but ill give you a start
    for every 1 lb of bow poundage you reduce you loose 2 ft per second.
    so if your dropping a bow from 70lbs to 50 your looseing close to 40 fps..but you can gain some back with the weight of your arrow and head being reduced...for every 5 grains of arrow weight you reduce you gain 1fps so if you drop 100grains in arrow weight you gain..20fps..see how it works..

this is just a start..on draw length im not quite sure how to factor in speed lose or gain..hope this helps
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

This helps a lot Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    there's alot of ways to go at speed and alot to explain but ill give you a start
    for every 1 lb of bow poundage you reduce you loose 2 ft per second.
    so if your dropping a bow from 70lbs to 50 your looseing close to 40 fps..but you can gain some back with the weight of your arrow and head being reduced...for every 5 grains of arrow weight you reduce you gain 1fps so if you drop 100grains in arrow weight you gain..20fps..see how it works..

this is just a start..on draw length im not quite sure how to factor in speed lose or gain..hope this helps
    This covers most of it. Most bows will lose between 10 and 15 fps per inch less than 30". I like to average it and say about 12 fps per inch.

These speed losses are figured if using the same arrow weight as you would at 70#. In truth you can't do much to compensate for the draw length difference. Going from 70# to 50#, though, you would normally not shoot the same arrow. You'd shoot a lighter spined arrow and one that is lighter in weight also. There are lots of arrows to choose from.

Do the math and you'll note that 70# shooting a 350 grain arrow works out to 5 gr/lb. For a 50# bow this would come to a 250 grain arrow, one that is doable for target and/or 3D work, but not quite practical for hunting due to possible poor penetration.

Another thing you can do if you are looking at new bows is pick a few that have high IBO speed ratings. If you can handle the draw cycles of some of these you can at least get decent speed. I can relate as I am limited to about 50# myself, with a 26.5" draw. I take a beating on the draw length factor, but will not shoot longer just to get more speed. I won't compromise accuracy for speed. Presently I'm shooting a Martin FireCat, rated at 335 fps. Shooting a 316 grain arrow (ACC 3-28) at 50# it chrono'd at 260 fps. Not a barn burner, but quite acceptable. I've gotten complete pass throughs on deer with less.

Other things you might consider for hunting with such a rig is to shot a narrower cut broadhead with 3 blades, not four and limit shots to less than 30 yards, which most are anyway. Be a little more picky about shot angles and such. It's all a big trade-off, but sure beats giving it up altogether.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I don't know what others will shoot but my Accomplice at 53# and 28.5" draw shoots 275 grain arrow at 286 FPS. With 325 grain arrow it shoots 272FPS. I had shoulder problems a few years ago so I now shoot lower lbs. It blows right through deers with no problems.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Good info Thanks

Go to this site...it'll help calcualte your speeds alot more accurately. When I entered my specs I was within +-2fps from actual speed.

http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

That is great web site. I can now pick out a bow that will fit my needs. Thanks

If you are a whitetail hunter, then speed is really not the issue, but a more usable factor is KE. Bows today are very effecient and a 50# bow has plenty of KE to take down game in NA.
    I would still lean towards a medium weight arrow unless hunting the wide open plains of the west.
    I fell out of a stand several years ago and messed up my shoulder big time. The following season I hunted with a 40# bow, killed 3 deer, and blew completely through all of them.

Good Luck and enjoy Archery!!

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

on the advice of my orthopedic surgeon, who is also an archer himself, I just re-worked my 2 primary wheeled bows, both Martin P3 w/ Elite limbs, the Target Bow has Furious_X Cams and the Camo Bow has Nitrous_X Cams on it..

Both are set to exactly 45# @ 27.5"

The Hunting/ 3-D bow is shooting Victory XRingerHV V1 350 spine w/ VaneTec 1.75" Fita vanes: 272 grains total: @ 255 FPS

The target bow is shooting Victory NanoForce V1 500 Spine w/ 4" natural feathers, 254 Grains total: @ 260 FPS

My daughter got a clean pass through on a doe w/ a 25# @ 25" Parker Sidekick shooting a Victory BuckBuster shaft tipped w/ a 80 grain Magnus Buzz Cut.

It's not ALL about speed and KE it's about shot placement!
    Last edited by SandSquid; 11-22-2009 at 05:02 PM.
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

I shoot mostly 3d fun-shoots with my grandson. I was after a little speed to set a 25 yard pin and shoot it for 20 and 30. I am not that great at judging distance. I now know I can shoot a lower lb bow and get the results I was after of 240 fps or so.

That's Great! If you plan on shooting spots with one pin from 20 to 30 you'll have to use a little Kentucky elevation

I hope to be shooting with my Grandson's in a couple of years

Dan

I shoot mostly 3d fun-shoots with my grandson. I was after a little speed to set a 25 yard pin and shoot it for 20 and 30. I am not that great at judging distance. I now know I can shoot a lower lb bow and get the results I was after of 240 fps or so.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

240 fps is real doable. Even 260 fps shouldn't be that hard to get. I'm shooting a Martin FireCat at 45# and 26.5" draw getting right at 260 fps. Hard cam? You bet, but not bad at that low draw weight.

Just remember to shoot any bows you get interested in. Keep a list of Por's and Con's on each one till you find that magical bow. I hope your grandson outshoots you. LOL.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

look at my sig.
    Mathews DXT 57lbs 278fps 351grain

Quote Originally Posted by hunter2678 View Post
    Go to this site...it'll help calcualte your speeds alot more accurately. When I entered my specs I was within +-2fps from actual speed.

http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php
    i got 300.5fps with my hunting arrow on this site
    rytera X
    whisker biscuit rest
    cobra 4 pin
    flingin' gold tip xt hunters
    muzzy 100gr 3 blade