You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    jim

Default Is it me or have (long)

any of you had trouble picking a spot while using a peep site ? Just this past year I decided to go with a compound due to a pinched nerve in my neck. Talk about an adjustment going from shooting a selfbow to a modern compound with pins, peep site and using a release. It took awhile but I kept with it and felt confident as I practiced daily. My groups came together consistently, I was ready or at least I thought I was.
    Years ago when I started bowhunting, I remember always being told to pick a spot. If my mentor had his way, the spot would be a single hair.
    I'm using the largest peep site I can get but when it comes to picking a spot on a deer, I can't seem to find it. In the backyard, I can line up the peep with the pin and punch the dot. Of course the target is stationary and I can take my time. In the field when I draw and am holding waiting for the right time, I just don't feel confident enough to let an arrow fly because I don't want to wound the animal. I do like being able to hold at full draw due to the let off, longer than I ever could with the selfbow.
    Here I am in the stand with deer around me, I've drawn on two nice does and haven't let an arrow fly. I can find the deer in the peep site, put the pin on what I feel is the spot then lose it completely. I let down, take a deep breath and draw again - same thing.
    I'll tell you, I'm ready to sell this outfit and see if I can go back to the selfbow. I've taken many deer over the years with recurve, longbow and the past several years with a homemade selfbow. I used cedar shafts with the old Bear broadheads (minus the bleeder blade) I felt I get better penetration with out it. I always shot instinctive and never shot an animal over fifthteen yards. I did not have to think about everything like I'm doing now.
    For those of you who started bowhunting traditional then moved on to today's compound with all the bells and whistles - how did you make the adjustment ?
    Honestly I enjoy shooting in the back yard and admit I can practice for longer
    periods due to not getting tired (or sore) with the compound compared to the selfbow.
    Am I over thinking myself or have I just lost confidence
    Last edited by jim p.; 12-03-2009 at 02:50 AM.

JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff armyof1's Avatar

i think it is a confadence thing you are having. just do your normal thing place the dot where you want the arrow to hit and let her fly .
    Staff Shooter for JBK Bowstrings, Gold Tip Arrows Dead Center Archery Products

Default Curious

Quote Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
    any of you had trouble picking a spot while using a peep site ? Just this past year I decided to go with a compound due to a pinched nerve in my neck. Talk about an adjustment going from shooting a selfbow to a modern compound with pins, peep site and using a release. It took awhile but I kept with it and felt confident as I practiced daily. My groups came together consistently, I was ready or at least I thought I was.
    Years ago when I started bowhunting, I remember always being told to pick a spot. If my mentor had his way, the spot would be a single hair.
    I'm using the largest peep site I can get but when it comes to picking a spot on a deer, I can't seem to find it. In the backyard, I can line up the peep with the pin and punch the dot. Of course the target is stationary and I can take my time. In the field when I draw and am holding waiting for the right time, I just don't feel confident enough to let an arrow fly because I don't want to wound the animal. I do like being able to hold at full draw due to the let off, longer than I ever could with the selfbow.
    Here I am in the stand with deer around me, I've drawn on two nice does and haven't let an arrow fly. I can find the deer in the peep site, put the pin on what I feel is the spot then lose it completely. I let down, take a deep breath and draw again - same thing.
    I'll tell you, I'm ready to sell this outfit and see if I can go back to the selfbow. I've taken many deer over the years with recurve, longbow and the past several years with a homemade selfbow. I used cedar shafts with the old Bear broadheads (minus the bleeder blade) I felt I get better penetration with out it. I always shot instinctive and never shot an animal over fifthteen yards. I did not have to think about everything like I'm doing now.
    For those of you who started bowhunting traditional then moved on to today's compound with all the bells and whistles - how did you make the adjustment ?
    Honestly I enjoy shooting in the back yard and admit I can practice for longer
    periods due to not getting tired (or sore) with the compound compared to the selfbow.
    Am I over thinking myself or have I just lost confidence
    Is your pin to large? Todays brght fibor optics can glare alot. .29 pins are just to large for even my old eyes. My suggestion is shoot alot of 3d this off season and get use to aiming small. Your mentor told you right in pick a spot. But often in the field with heart pounding it can be a chore. Realize deer vitals are quite large. Atleast 12" circle will always keep you in the deer vitals. So finding a very small spot is not a big thing. Keeping that arrow in 12" with a good peep and todays compounds should be easier than ever. You might consider trying a one pin option or maybe less pins and holding high or low, thats what I do. I make sure I line up with the lungs. I have a 25yrd and 40yrd pin.
    DB
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Keep both eye's open when aiming, it will let you know what part of the deer your look at.

As a former recurve shooter I hated the peep sight. I tried a riser mounted sight with a rear and front sight similar to a pistol sight with a rear sight blade. I designed my own and played with many different models over a couple years, but what I finally decided was that I didn't need a rear sight at all. I use a kisser button and a consistent anchor point and I shoot better now than I ever have. I keep both eyes open and only use a Copper John Dead Nutz 2 wrapped fiber optic micro adjustable sight. Shooting nearly every day for a couple years and practicing from my back yard treestand has allowed me to harvest many deer over the last 3 years without a miss, so far. We're not made from a cookie cutter, so we have differences in body type and aptitudes. Things that works for any mentor may or may not work well for you. Keep it fun, I do.

jim

Thanks everyone, you've given me hope. I'm looking forward to trying
    what you've suggested.

Jim I don't know if it's a vision thing or a confidence thing to be honest.
    I know I don't get along with a peep in hunting situations like the majority of people do.
    I also mess with recurves without sights if that makes any difference.
    I do like the Timberline No-Peep and the Archery Innovations Anchor Sight as alternatives to using a peep. They are simply a visual anchor reference. If you set them to your natural anchor, you hardly need them.
    Another method is using string nock(s). I like two, set so my nose fits just between them on the string. Something I can feel, but does not involve my vision, with just the pin and deer left to deal with.
    FBSA Member

I would deff try the kisser button. I seen one online called the comfort kiss. It's supposedly alot softer so it doesn't make your lips sore from shooting often.

jim

I will definately try everyone's suggestions. Willl be away from the board for a spell, headed for the hospital Monday a.m. for three days of testing. After this I'll find out if I have to have surgery. Can't sleep right now, nerves.
    Will be back on line when I can