You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Smile Starting out and kind of lost

Hey everyone on 3Dshoots!

I'm from Malaysia and lately i've picked up interest in Archery Though i have seen lots of archery videos on Youtube and also been down to one of the leisure archery ranges around here (target shooting, but i have no idea about postures and how to shoot properly). I gave it a lot of thought and ive decided on getting my own equipment to seriously get into Archery

I've read a few threads in here, but i still am rather confused and i dont know how do i get started.

So here goes my questions list :

1. What sort of bow would i be looking for? This question has been answered in a lot of threads but none are kind of the answers i want :O i mean, i know different types of bows are for different purposes, but which is more beginner friendly? Recurve or Compound?

2. What kinds of arrows are best suited for beginners? Wood? Fiberglass? Composite? The ones i've held and used in the leisure ranges seem to be either fiberglass or something, i cant really tell (and they use plastic vanes or fletchings i think?)

3. I'm just a normal University student so i'm on quite a limited budget. What are the more standard beginner bows and their prices? Giving some links would be awesome (just so i can compare)...furthermore where i am, there isnt a store i can just go to and pick it out, so most likely i'd have to get it through online mail order :O

4. I'll be moving to Melbourne (Australia) sometime in February next year (transferring campuses), is there anyone on this forum from Australia or better yet Melbourne who can help me out with Archery? It would be great to get involved with you guys i'd pick it up faster!

last but not least, thanks for reading my "long" post and patiently answering my questions

Cheers!

Welcome to the Forum. All those Questions can be better answered by your local Archery Shop. YOu need to get measured. plus you need to get you hands on many bows as possible and find onw that fits you measurements and plain feels comfortable to you. You need to figure out what type of Archery you will be getting into. Support your local Bow Shop.

thanks for the reply

well thats the thing, i was planning to start archer as a sport/leisure passtime. I dont think i'd get into hunting just yet since i probably would need more archery practice for that

Default Ausstralia

Quote Originally Posted by zeraato View Post
    Hey everyone on 3Dshoots!

I'm from Malaysia and lately i've picked up interest in Archery Though i have seen lots of archery videos on Youtube and also been down to one of the leisure archery ranges around here (target shooting, but i have no idea about postures and how to shoot properly). I gave it a lot of thought and ive decided on getting my own equipment to seriously get into Archery

I've read a few threads in here, but i still am rather confused and i dont know how do i get started.

So here goes my questions list :

1. What sort of bow would i be looking for? This question has been answered in a lot of threads but none are kind of the answers i want :O i mean, i know different types of bows are for different purposes, but which is more beginner friendly? Recurve or Compound?

2. What kinds of arrows are best suited for beginners? Wood? Fiberglass? Composite? The ones i've held and used in the leisure ranges seem to be either fiberglass or something, i cant really tell (and they use plastic vanes or fletchings i think?)

3. I'm just a normal University student so i'm on quite a limited budget. What are the more standard beginner bows and their prices? Giving some links would be awesome (just so i can compare)...furthermore where i am, there isnt a store i can just go to and pick it out, so most likely i'd have to get it through online mail order :O

4. I'll be moving to Melbourne (Australia) sometime in February next year (transferring campuses), is there anyone on this forum from Australia or better yet Melbourne who can help me out with Archery? It would be great to get involved with you guys i'd pick it up faster!

last but not least, thanks for reading my "long" post and patiently answering my questions

Cheers!
    Become a member here. Some fine guys here for sure. They will sure help you out over there. Send Marcus there a pm and he will get you all the info you need.

Click on link

http://www.archery-forum.com/
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Recurve or Compound is a choice completely up to you. Most of us arround here shoot Compound, but there is nothing wrong with Recurve (I am now hiding under my desk waiting for things to start flying at me!!). They compete in different classes. In addition there are further breakdowns (http://www.nfaa-archery.org/field/styles.cfm) this is the National Field Archery Association breakdown of different classes and what you can/cannot use in each. I am sure that Austrailia has one (I found this but I am not sure if this is the most widly used organization. You will need to do a little research on your own (i.e. ask your pro shop)http://www.archery.org.au/scripts/cg...SP0009/ccms.r). A quick word about styles and expense. The more goodies you get to use the more you are going to spend. For example: about the cheapest way to get into archery is to shoot traditional or barebow. You can get a decent traditional recurve/longbow for arround 300-400 US$ so you can be out the door with everything you need for 400-500 US$ brand new. Whereas if you set yourself up with an Open class bow etc you can easily spend over 2000 $US brand new. If you are patient you can cut these costs in half or more by buying used equipment.

If you end up with a compound NEVER SHOOT WOOD! If you do you will end up exploding an arrow and huring yourself. I tend to push people toward either Carbon or Aluminium. If the fiberglass is rated to go through the bow then it is ok, but I am still wary of it. Carbon is very durable (I have shot some of my carbons into trees at 70# draw weight, pulled them out and still use them) Aluminium is a little cheaper (you can get arrows that have better tolerances (weight and straightness) for less, but they are easier to bend, and once they are bent they are useless). Vanes (plastic) and fletchings (feathers) are typically up to personal preferance especially on target arrows. The exceptions to this is if you are shooting traditional or off the shelf (not using an arrow rest) you need to shoot fletchings so that the vanes don't kick the arrow off its flight path (feathers will collapse vanes will not), or if you use a whisper bisquet you need to use vanes that are not helical because the WB will tear up or be torn up by any other vane/fletching setup.

For used stuff check out the classifieds on this site, or Archery Talk. You may also want to check with local pro shops because they will sometimes have equipment on consignment. Also, you can ask arround a club to see if anyone is selling stuff.

I hope that this helps you out.
    CSAA Member

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document

Quote Originally Posted by Too Many Hobbies View Post
    Recurve or Compound is a choice completely up to you. Most of us arround here shoot Compound, but there is nothing wrong with Recurve (I am now hiding under my desk waiting for things to start flying at me!!). They compete in different classes. In addition there are further breakdowns (http://www.nfaa-archery.org/field/styles.cfm) this is the National Field Archery Association breakdown of different classes and what you can/cannot use in each. I am sure that Austrailia has one (I found this but I am not sure if this is the most widly used organization. You will need to do a little research on your own (i.e. ask your pro shop)http://www.archery.org.au/scripts/cg...SP0009/ccms.r). A quick word about styles and expense. The more goodies you get to use the more you are going to spend. For example: about the cheapest way to get into archery is to shoot traditional or barebow. You can get a decent traditional recurve/longbow for arround 300-400 US$ so you can be out the door with everything you need for 400-500 US$ brand new. Whereas if you set yourself up with an Open class bow etc you can easily spend over 2000 $US brand new. If you are patient you can cut these costs in half or more by buying used equipment.

If you end up with a compound NEVER SHOOT WOOD! If you do you will end up exploding an arrow and huring yourself. I tend to push people toward either Carbon or Aluminium. If the fiberglass is rated to go through the bow then it is ok, but I am still wary of it. Carbon is very durable (I have shot some of my carbons into trees at 70# draw weight, pulled them out and still use them) Aluminium is a little cheaper (you can get arrows that have better tolerances (weight and straightness) for less, but they are easier to bend, and once they are bent they are useless). Vanes (plastic) and fletchings (feathers) are typically up to personal preferance especially on target arrows. The exceptions to this is if you are shooting traditional or off the shelf (not using an arrow rest) you need to shoot fletchings so that the vanes don't kick the arrow off its flight path (feathers will collapse vanes will not), or if you use a whisper bisquet you need to use vanes that are not helical because the WB will tear up or be torn up by any other vane/fletching setup.

For used stuff check out the classifieds on this site, or Archery Talk. You may also want to check with local pro shops because they will sometimes have equipment on consignment. Also, you can ask arround a club to see if anyone is selling stuff.

I hope that this helps you out.

WOW, all that information came in handy ! I'll be heading over to Australia very soon so it wont be long till i get my own bow taking your advice coupled with some long hard decision making, i most probably would settle for a recurve bow.

thanks so much for the info and links.

I'll keep updating on my progress every now and then, right now im still reading up and watching videos and tutorials...i know it really is a big difference from actual shooting but right now its all i got.

Cheers!

WOW, all that information came in handy ! I'll be heading over to Australia very soon so it wont be long till i get my own bow taking your advice coupled with some long hard decision making, i most probably would settle for a recurve bow...a big deciding factor being it'd be a lot cheaper since i dont have access to a lot of funds.

thanks so much for the info and links.

I'll keep updating on my progress every now and then, right now im still reading up and watching videos and tutorials...i know it really is a big difference from actual shooting but right now its all i got.

Cheers!