You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what an afternoon....

Well I forgot to set the alarm last night.......So I figured I would just go cut firewood for the day.....decided to spend some time w/my daughter this morning instead.....

1:00-headed for a new spot....

1:30 found a good tree....I say good....would 3 fresh scrapes within 45 yrds be a good tree to sit in?

1:45- I have climbed the tree, screwed in my e-z hanger,knocked an arrow and have ranged all the important trees.....

2-4:30-not as many tree rats in this spot....I am going to like this spot, I think

4:45-notice a deer(think its a doe) walking from my left to my right about 80yrds out.....

5:00-another 3 does go by...

5:10-hear something behind me to my right.....looking in that direction, low and behold its a deer, this one is acting different, scrapeing, licking branches and rubbing trees w/its head......so I get up and grab my bow....

5:20-hes headed my way and I still can not tell if its a buck, and if it is I can not tell if its legal....has to have three points on a side.....roughly 5:22 I can tell it has at least a 4, is that another point?.....yup theres 2 more and look it has brow tines.....its an 8 and now its right under me.....its really a wide rack....have to look straight down....I am going to take him if I get the chance....

and now for a word from our sponsers.....summit tree stands and saftey harnesses.......you will never be more comfortable......you will however learn to mount your harness rope lower on the tree so you can draw your damn bow......

I have to unhook the release and rehook after putting my arm over the saftey strap.....and start to turn all while the deer is now directly under me....
    well I dont know how but he sees all this and trots out to forty yrds where he wonders off.....

So I figure done now, right....wrong....its almost too dark to shoot and I have forced myself to sit untill its completly dark.....

well next thing I know I think I hear a very faint grunt....no I must be hearring things right? nope here comes a deer and he is grunting and running like a kid w/dads tru talker call when someone is trying to catch him....well wrong again its 3 deer and guess what the 8 point is back and now he has to slammers in tow, and they are peed off......the second one looks bigger, they run right thru at 20 yrds and never slow down... Grunting like crazy the whole time......it was awsome and has me really pumped about this spot.....

So now its been dark for about 45 minuets now I can get down.....well wrong again...I am on my way out have about 1/2 mile back to the truck....twice more these deer run in front of me, at one point I have to move to the side of the logging road to get out of there way.....thank the lord I brought my red light.....

It was an awsome afternoon......the only thing that would have been better would be to get one but I will take more days like today any time.
    I cut things up and split them down!

Sounds like you found a real honey hole there Adam. Enjoy the show this kind of stuff does not come around very often. I hope to be hearing some backstraps sizzling from you real soon my friend. Good luck I hope you DL a real MONSTER. Keep us informed on how things are going.............oh wait a minute I forgot who I was talking to, of course you are going to keep us informed its Bowman

"HONDA"

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Hey Mr Bowman, Sure do wish I had a spot picked out like that one . I am very pleased that somebody has this type of place and wish you all the success there you can stand. God Bless , Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

mr???do I look old to you??? just kidding...thought every one would be green w/envey....its about time I had the good spots.....almost every place I have sat this year I have seen nice bucks....and this was to be my back up spot....can you imagine???

Site Guru

hunting on a sunday? you should be ashamed of yourself! hahahah

Good one bud. I like the format... wish I would have done mine like that
    No I'm not dead

hey i get my ideas from the best.......seemed easier to read that way.....

i had a good day myself. i was in my stand waiting for a 12 point to come out. i could see it back in the brush moving around but wouldn't come out. well i notice a groundhog under my stand. i think I'm going to take some meat home. i draw back to shot when a grouse lands in front of stand. i think i would rather have grouse anytime. so i shot it. it took off like a rocket straight up. the arrow is sticking out the other side of it about six inches. about that time the buck comes running across the field and i cant get a arrow loaded. well about that time the grouse died and fell. the arrow hit the deer neck cutting the jugular vein. the buck fell spearing the groundhog with its horns killing it. well i start over to it and fall in a small creek getting soaked. i get over to the deer and notice were it gave its dying kicks,it had dug up a bout four lbs. of ginseng. i started picking up ginseng and felt somthing in my hip pocket. it was a 28 inch trout. now i know some wont belive this but i know true hunters like you guys will know a true story when you hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    i had a good day myself. i was in my stand waiting for a 12 point to come out. i could see it back in the brush moving around but wouldn't come out. well i notice a groundhog under my stand. i think I'm going to take some meat home. i draw back to shot when a grouse lands in front of stand. i think i would rather have grouse anytime. so i shot it. it took off like a rocket straight up. the arrow is sticking out the other side of it about six inches. about that time the buck comes running across the field and i cant get a arrow loaded. well about that time the grouse died and fell. the arrow hit the deer neck cutting the jugular vein. the buck fell spearing the groundhog with its horns killing it. well i start over to it and fall in a small creek getting soaked. i get over to the deer and notice were it gave its dying kicks,it had dug up a bout four lbs. of ginseng. i started picking up ginseng and felt somthing in my hip pocket. it was a 28 inch trout. now i know some wont belive this but i know true hunters like you guys will know a true story when you hear it.

How big was the trout????

Talking

i lied a little bit, the trout was only 18 inches. sorry about that

and I got another question, how many pounds do you shoot if the arrow only stuck out six inches on the grouse you prabobly would have had a tuff time w/ that buck.....so let me know where it is and I will come and take care of it for you......

to my world now please go back to yours.....

Site Guru

Here is the translation to what REALLY happened to Longcut

1. Fell asleep in the stand
    2. Woke up and went to the bar
    3. came home and wife was pissed

I know this because the exact same thing happened to me last week, except the trout... i didn't have to cross a stream to get to my deer. oh and the deer feel on a treerat (a happy ending)
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    . oh and the deer feel on a tree rat (a happy ending)
    now thats funny.....the last time that happened to me, the deer fell on ALL the tree rats....was a nice dream....

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    now thats funny.....the last time that happened to me, the deer fell on ALL the tree rats....was a nice dream....
    that is indeed a wonderful dream... no more tree rats... what a concept.
    No I'm not dead

DREAM. you mean this didn't happen . I've been lying all this time. forgive me. do you think some home grown 'tobacco' could have caused this illusion or dream

that stuff is bad for you.....they have been telling you in the commercials all this time and you have not listened have you????

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    that stuff is bad for you.....they have been telling you in the commercials all this time and you have not listened have you????
    I dunno what your talking about... everytime I see one of those cool cooking eggs commercials I get hungry and stop listening.
    No I'm not dead

I dunno what your talking about... everytime I see one of those cool cooking eggs commercials I get hungry and stop listening.
    hahaha

Site Guru

mmmm eggs

(yup this one is just to raise my post count!)
    No I'm not dead

i didnt have time to pull bow all the way back. made one of those fred bear shots.

mmmm eggs

(yup this one is just to raise my post count!)
    thats not right......