You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Need some suggestions or tips

I seem to have picked up the shakes. I can't seem to hold on the spot. Right now I am shooting terribly. Are there any fixes? Any tips on how to overcome the shakes.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

How many pounds are you pulling and how often do you shoot. How long have you been shooting, is it hunting bow or target dot or indoor 3d shooting, How old are you . are you on any meds.. what is you let off and what type of bow are you shooting Maybe with this info we can get started, Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Site Guru

do you only get the shakes during shooting? if so it sounds like somone gets to spend some time in the blank-bail timeout range!
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by phone guy View Post
    I seem to have picked up the shakes. I can't seem to hold on the spot. Right now I am shooting terribly. Are there any fixes? Any tips on how to overcome the shakes.
    I've heard of that before, take a break from shooting for a day or two. You will get yourself worked up and you will continue to shoot poorly. Dont let shooting bad get to you or you will never get better.
    ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
    Myspace:myspace.com/08_stroker

phone guy, have you changed anything that could have increased your dl or poundage. either one can cause shakes. i know you was talking about trying some different releases. i know most times i get the shakes it me. most times i notice my stance or form is off a little. then sometimes i just feel stiff and tight and it dont seem to flow right. thats when i turn on the c.d. get a cup of coffee and take a break. a lot of times this helps. i do know you cant muscle or force the arrow into the spot. i do think sometimes you can try to hard and get all out of 'joint'. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    do you only get the shakes during shooting? if so it sounds like somone gets to spend some time in the blank-bail timeout range!

the blank bail time out range......I thought maybe he was just cold.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

We need more info to determine what may be causing the shakes. It could be something simple. But the good ole blank bale will definately not hurt anything at all. I try to blank bale at least once a week for about 20 shots. So give us some more info and I am sure one of these guys can help you out they are all pretty good at this stuff, except that one guy from NY that shoots the SB.

"HONDA"

I see your in Califoria, maybe it's the target thats shaking....

But seriously, have you changed anything at all. That would be where I'd look first.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    I see your in Califoria, maybe it's the target thats shaking.... .

I am sorry thats funny right there.....

have you increased your poundage, or perhaps you may have injured your back or shoulders......maybe its just target panic......it happens to the best of us........
    I cut things up and split them down!

No I live in central cali no quakes ever happen here where I live. I have been shooting for two years I am currently averageing 479 out of 560 at the field range and in the mid 270s out of 300 in the indoor at 20 yards vegas targets. I shoot a trykon at 74 lbs. I can pull and hold it fine. It is my hunting bow. Out here you need the speed for long shots. I compete with what I hunt with. I just cant seem to hold on the spot. bow is paper tuned it is just a fart hair from a bullet hole. Arrows are spined correctly. No tiller or timing issues. I am shooting with a trophy taker shake hunter rest and a spot hogg hogg it sight. I just cant seem to hold on the spot. I seem to be holding like a rock just to the left than I keep looking at the spot hoping it will move. Then it holds at the right of the spot. I just broke the habit of drive by shooting. I think that may be my problem. Need some advice I have blank bailed before but will that help me to hold on the spot? Sorr it took so long I have been working 70 hour weeks.

Yes I think blank baling is a very good practice routine. You also may want to try the 10 yard drill. Good luck I hope things get better for you.

"HONDA"

70 hours a week. your doing good to stay awake while shooting. you might try having your sight above the spot when you draw and get your anchor point . then come down on the spot. this help a friend that had the same problem your having. take some of that over time money and get a bow for targets around 60#

That overtime is going to pay for christmas. I thought about another bow but I hunt. I figured that going back and forth between draw wights would be too much trouble. Thanks for the info.

Site Guru

That overtime is going to pay for christmas. I thought about another bow but I hunt. I figured that going back and forth between draw wights would be too much trouble. Thanks for the info.
    actually as long as your hunting rig is less draw weight its a good thing to shoot another bow w/ higher draw as it will be easier to hold at draw longer
    No I'm not dead

That is the thing I am thinking the exact opposite. I would like my hunting rig to be more than the target rig. I know most people say you don't need that much weight but If I make a bad shot or somthing happens which I know you don't do but just in case I want to be able to blow through the shoulders. I am trying to take my first large game animal with a bow and I am trying for a bear. I feel I need the kenetic energy. After all I don't want to have to get too close to the bear if I don't have to.
    I shoot almost everyday for about an hour. I guess you can say I have the bug. I am looking for some good insight from experianced people that is why I joined this forum. You guys/gals have been alot of help.

Bow huntin hoosier what is the 10 yard drill. I shot today at six and started tubing arrows to see if I could. I think my form is off somehow. I was shooting through paper and I tear left and it is consistant. I keep moving the rest but it doesnt get a bullet hole so I am thinking I am still punching the trigger. What do you think.

Site Guru

Bow huntin hoosier what is the 10 yard drill. I shot today at six and started tubing arrows to see if I could. I think my form is off somehow. I was shooting through paper and I tear left and it is consistant. I keep moving the rest but it doesnt get a bullet hole so I am thinking I am still punching the trigger. What do you think.
    The 10 yeard drill is basically:

start at 10 yeards and shoot a certain number of arrows (3,4, 6 whatever you want) when you shoot that number of bullseyes you move back to 20 and repeat

if you miss one arrow at 20 you startt over and so on. its great practice.

punching the trigger won't really affect paper tuning unless your slapping the trigger so hard that the arrows flight is being affected.
    No I'm not dead

I think my form is off somehow. I was shooting through paper and I tear left and it is consistant. I keep moving the rest but it doesnt get a bullet hole so I am thinking I am still punching the trigger. What do you think.
    This was just happening to me. I went to the local shop to look at my paper tune. I had a very large vertical tear with a small left tear. The dealer removed the WB and put a Rip Cord on and tuned it so it was shooting bullet holes. I came in to pick it up and tried it out. Still had a small left tear. I asked him why and he took the bow and started shooting bullet holes. I shot it again and had the same left tear. After going over my form we settled on my grip. I was holding the bow in the V of my left hand with no pressure of any kind. When I rotated my wrist so that the heal of my hand touched the grip the left tear went away.

No I live in central cali no quakes ever happen here where I live. I have been shooting for two years I am currently averageing 479 out of 560 at the field range and in the mid 270s out of 300 in the indoor at 20 yards vegas targets. I shoot a trykon at 74 lbs. I can pull and hold it fine. It is my hunting bow. Out here you need the speed for long shots. I compete with what I hunt with. I just cant seem to hold on the spot. bow is paper tuned it is just a fart hair from a bullet hole. Arrows are spined correctly. No tiller or timing issues. I am shooting with a trophy taker shake hunter rest and a spot hogg hogg it sight. I just cant seem to hold on the spot. I seem to be holding like a rock just to the left than I keep looking at the spot hoping it will move. Then it holds at the right of the spot. I just broke the habit of drive by shooting. I think that may be my problem. Need some advice I have blank bailed before but will that help me to hold on the spot? Sorr it took so long I have been working 70 hour weeks.
    I recommend a True Back Tension Release and get with someone that can show you how to properly use it. You have a classic case of TARGET PANIC!!! Your first step in getting a cure for this is admitting you have it and then getting yourself a True Back Tension Release. I got myself a TrueBall Sweet Spot 2 4 Finger True Back Tension Release and it did wonders for me. It has a safety on it and you can find them used for like $80 on the net. But if you want the latest Back Tension Release out there and have the extra cash, get the New Carter Evolution. Man this is a sweet release. You can search for different cures for Target Panic, as I did, but A True back tension is the real cure. I can now shoot with my Strap-On caliper release now without drive-By shootin' and freezing up anywhere around my spot. I wish you luck phone guy. There is a cure. Git-R-Done

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll chime in. It's possible that over time the string creep problem has evolved. This makes the draw length longer. It's a slow process so maybe not noticeable. You could try shortening the draw a little at a time and see if this helps the aiming. Often times as little as 1/8" can make a whale of a difference.