You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Black Squirrels in your area as well.

Dont see alot here but seems there getting to be more of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

We don't see many here in Central Texas, but I used to see a few every year when I had my place in East Texas... Saw lots when I lived in Colorado.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

We have a couple here at the house all the time. Ken

When I hunted Missouri a lot I would see them. There are a lots of grays and they say were you see grays there will be black ones around.

i seen a black squirrel for the first time hunting with dan on wensday. weirdest thing i have seen
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

We have quite a few around here in Louisiana.
    Mathews Z7 Cobra release True Glo 5 pin Sight With optics light Doinker Stabilizer QAD drop away arrow rest and armed with Gold tip arrows with blood runner broadheads.

Yep we have them here in Maryland but I never saw any when I used to live up north

We got em in Ohio too...not rare but not common either...back home in NW ohio we have them, havent seen one on southern or central Oh yet though.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Old Archer

Default Got all Three!

We have three Grey, Fox, and the Black squirrels, the blacks are found in more abundace as you head north in Michigan! and those little pesky red squirrels we got them also!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar

Several years ago we took a family vacation to Ottawa, Ontario. Along several of our tours, our guides claimed that the black squirrels we saw everywhere were descendents of a pair of black squirrels given to the Canadian Prime Minister from the Czar of Russia. From there their genes have spread in Midwestern North America, and in parts of the Northeast. (This is began my fascination with the tasty little critters. ;-)

In the Eastern U.S. the Black squirrels can be traced back to 18 Canadian squirrels were released at the National Zoo during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt... It is documented that these original came from Ontario. In 1902, and then again in 1906, the zoo got black squirrels from "the department of crown lands" in Ontario. Kent, Ohio has a significant black squirrel population, after 10 were legally imported from Canada in February 1961. Black squirrels are abundant in Battle Creek, Michigan and according to legend were first introduced there by Will Keith Kellogg, founder of the Kellogg Company in an effort to destroy the local population of red squirrels that were infesting his production. The red squirrels were small enough to find their way into the plants but the blacks were too large to squeeze in.

So, the next time you pour a box of breakfast cereal, thank the Czar of Russia!
    SandSquid

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

Old Archer

Thumbs up

Interesting stuff Squid!, in my humble opinion the blacks are the tastiest of all!
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Shooting Edge Technology 09Dreamseason's Avatar

We have a bunch here in Colorado....they have a tuft of hair sticking up off of their tails and they are the largest of squirels here as well. I agree that they taste the best!
    '09 PSE X-Force Dream Season GX
    '11 PSE X-Force AXE 7

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
    www.SaveOutdoorSports.com

Never seen a black squirrel here in central KY, the only ones I have seen are grays and fox squirrels. I have had a couple people tell me they have seen flying sruirrels though, I personaly have never seen one.

I see um here in Ohio pretty often.

Never seen one in my hunting area but my uncle has a few running around his about 5 miles south of me...
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

Hi,
    I have never seen black squirrels till now but lot of gray squirrels roaming here and there.Don't you think that black squirrel is looking somewhat like rat in that post if you assumed it without the tail.If you have more pictures of black squirrels then post me.
    Last edited by jonepark; 01-02-2010 at 06:07 AM.

i see gray,black.redfox squirrels & some pine...once in a great while you will see a grayfox squirrel...gray & black in the same litter.

I live in Southern Ontario and actually as South as you can get in Canada. Were running probably 50/50 blacks to greys. We don't have those fox squirrels like I've seen in the USA. Those buggers are big! I thought I have noticed a difference in texture of meat between the two but when they are all thrown in a pot and stewed up I don't know which is which.
    They both sound like deer when they walk slow behind your stand though....
    In a better world, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would be the name of a convenience store and not the name of a govenment agency.

black squirrels? lol I used to have a white one around here..guess something got it
    Welcome to New Jersey..Home of where the weak are killed and eaten

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows

None here that I know of. Red and gray only.
    FBSA Member