You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Guru

Default Disgusted w/ American Broadheads

So my buddy and I are hunting today and he get a PERFECT shot on a doe at 20 yards, stuck her in the perfect spot right behind the shoulder.

The doe rolled over and snapped the arrow off, he is shooting a CX 3d select and was using the American Broadhead Pros broadhead. Basically they are the same as the free ones but they have a 1 inch cutting diamater.

anyway we go look and the arrow looks like it has about 5 arrows of penetration but the front of the arrow is in the deer.

we tracked the doe for over a mile. It looks like a possible single lung puncture, if that. found some spots where there was a nice amount of blood where it looks like it coughed up the blood.

after about a mile the blood trail vanished. We searched EVERYWHERE, even called in extra help. The doe is nowhere to be found.

That shot on that deer should have dropped it within 100 yards, and thats if it was pushed. The only thing we can think is the broadhead must have broken or something because that should should have double lunged the doe without a doubt.

I am disgusted.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I am disgusted.
    tell us how you really feel.....and by the way those muzzys are looking better and better........

on a side not was he shooting a w..........
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    tell us how you really feel.....and by the way those muzzys are looking better and better........

on a side not was he shooting a w..........
    no he is shooting a drop away. Trophy Ridge.
    No I'm not dead

no he is shooting a drop away. Trophy Ridge.
    damb those w......WHAT??????? are you telling me it wasnt a WB fault.....Has he ever had a WB on that bow.....I swear there demons can stay w/ the equipment......

Anyway I am sorry for your loss.....and I hope you can get one tomma.......oh sorry well maybe monday........

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Belive me Dreadly it is spelled MUZZY> I shot a 6point a couple a weeks ago and the arrow went in quarting away at the mind section of the kill and hit the far shoulder and broke of. when I was at the butcher he cut it out an that thing was still togehter after the buck traveled 90 yards flat out. Let's review MUZZY. I changed over from many years thunderheadthis year after lisntingto the boy's on 3D Shoots. God Bless and I appreciate your exhausted attemps to locate that animal it speaks highly of you hunting good ehtics. Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I was hunting with a buddy a couple years ago. We were close to 350-400 yard apart. It's just getting to prime time and I see this doe bolt from the corn running right at me. I get ready to come to full draw, she turns broadside and someone had painted here entire side red.

She ran another 40 yards and piled up. My buddy had shot her nearly straight down and took out one lung. I know this deer went at least 350 yards before she died. I know because I saw here fall and I know how far away my buddy was.

He comes thru the woods from another direction and says can you help me track my deer. I said sure just walk 40 yards in that direction. He thought I was kidding.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Sorry to hear of your buddies misfortune there Dreadly. With all the tests I done on the Sonics this year they performed very well but, I decided to continue using my Muzzy's. I just cannot go to another head until something fails on a Muzzy and so far (knock on wood) nothing has. I hope your buddy gets over this and bags himself a monster.

"HONDA"

Site Guru

Guys i completely agree with the Muzzy's! Thats what I shoot and I won't shoot anything else. My buddy bought the AB POS's because he liked the one they sent him, but its a stupid design that I can't make sense out of...

the blades form the point... which means if a blade bends (which happens on ALL broadheads) then the point is gone... just plain stupid. also the blades are secured by nothing but a lugnut type thing which you have ot tighten with a wrench and hope the 1/16" that is in the nut is holding it there... just complete CRAP.

I'm making him buy some Muzzy's today (I need to get some more too) and the next time he sticks a deer its going to DROP!

btw - even worse... this is his first year archery hunting, he has been hunting for about 8 years with rifle and this is the first deer he ever shot.
    No I'm not dead

Site Guru

Here is why I love 3dshoots forums... I'll get picked on for not getting the deer and immediately the "you should use somethign that is TESTED" is given...

On Archerytalk i'm over 35 posts of "You are lying it didn't happen like that", "It was shooter error the broadheads are infaliable", and "You obviousley pushed the deer and you are a dumbass"

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=401619
    No I'm not dead

Here is why I love 3dshoots forums... I'll get picked on for not getting the deer and immediately the "you should use somethign that is TESTED" is given...

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=401619
    so as long as you are being serious...sometimes we all like for people to say what we want to hear......all kidding aside....those broadheads look like an O.K design......just not an EXCELLENT design like a Muzzy.......

Well after reading that AT thread I have to say that it is operator error. After all that many people can't be wrong. I mean they've got like what...1 maybe 2 million years of collective expierience. Newbies like you, just need to admit when you're wrong. I mean com'on a broadhead failure... that's like a dud bullet coming out of a new box... URBAN MYTH... can't happen.

Okay that's all I can take it's just too hard to type while I laugh.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Well after reading that AT thread I have to say that it is operator error. After all that many people can't be wrong. I mean they've got like what...1 maybe 2 million years of collective expierience. Newbies like you, just need to admit when you're wrong. I mean com'on a broadhead failure... that's like a dud bullet coming out of a new box... URBAN MYTH... can't happen.

Okay that's all I can take it's just too hard to type while I laugh.
    yeah really, I love the guy that called me a liar because there is no way a deer would follow a road. Good ol Archerytalk, no wonder I avoid the bowhunting section... thousands of experts because they have hunted and shot deer before.

amazing ain't it?
    No I'm not dead

I was kind of impressed by the Sonics initially, until I gave it some more thought. If something as small as too much coating on it could cause such problems with the assembly that it had a company voluntarily send out over 5,000 additional samples then maybe a redesign is warranted. There are so many factor in error, especially the human error, that an exact fit is almost never achieveable. That is why it takes a dozen arrows and half a dozen broadheads to get four that fit together straight and true. I must agree with everyone that says get the Muzzys, that's what I did.

Clem

P.S. rarely do I post at AT, in fact there are times that it gets so out of control that I can't even read them. The ones that really burn me up are the guys that post their trophy deer and someone has to say that it was photoshopped or it isn't really that big it's just an photographic illusion. Kind of takes the pride out of sharing your story with everyone else.

Thanks for a great and friendly site Chris. Keep up the good work!!!!!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by clemenlp View Post
    I was kind of impressed by the Sonics initially, until I gave it some more thought. If something as small as too much coating on it could cause such problems with the assembly that it had a company voluntarily send out over 5,000 additional samples then maybe a redesign is warranted. There are so many factor in error, especially the human error, that an exact fit is almost never achieveable. That is why it takes a dozen arrows and half a dozen broadheads to get four that fit together straight and true. I must agree with everyone that says get the Muzzys, that's what I did.

Clem
    I was actually too. They looked like a pretty intresting new design once we got mine put together but my first question to my buddy was "what happens when it hits something hard"? The blades don't appear very strong and without either a very strong solid surface or a point to crack whatever it hit I was really curious about what would happen.

My buddy hit a rock with one and it practically mushroomed... but hey its a rock, I don't expect any broadhead to survive that. Basically the blades immediately seperate and fold back or sideways... He just ordered a package of Muzzy MX-4's that he is looking forward to shooting... I just look forward to him harvesting a deer!
    No I'm not dead

yeah really, I love the guy that called me a liar because there is no way a deer would follow a road. Good ol Archerytalk, no wonder I avoid the bowhunting section... thousands of experts because they have hunted and shot deer before.

amazing ain't it?
    I can understand some of their arguments. But come on, to take the equipment out of the equation entirely and blame everything on the archer? It's the exact opposite of what they were accusing you of doing. I also liked your point about only the FREE broadheads being defective. I can speak from expierience, no matter how well you maintain you gear "STUFF HAPPENS". And the manufacture of broadheads, arrow shafts, rests, etc. is entirely out of your control.

I think we need some more info here before the braodhead gets hammerd on. First he says it struck the deer perfict right behind the shoulder, then says it looked like it was a single lung puncture if that... well that to me is not a really great shot...... second thing is at 20 yards, the arrow got 5 arrows of penetration???? UHH how much it that?? Their are alot of great heads out their, alot of people here seem to like the muzzy, I wouldnt shoot a muzzy head if someone gave them to me, why, because theirs not anything wrong with the b-52 I shoot now. They shoot great, the blades will never fall out....(LOL) and they kill stuff, when put in the right place, just like 100s of other heads do. If you dont hitem good, you wont always getem, dosent matter what head you shoot, have Just my $.02......

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    I think we need some more info here before the braodhead gets hammerd on. First he says it struck the deer perfict right behind the shoulder, then says it looked like it was a single lung puncture if that... well that to me is not a really great shot...... second thing is at 20 yards, the arrow got 5 arrows of penetration???? UHH how much it that?? Their are alot of great heads out their, alot of people here seem to like the muzzy, I wouldnt shoot a muzzy head if someone gave them to me, why, because theirs not anything wrong with the b-52 I shoot now. They shoot great, the blades will never fall out....(LOL) and they kill stuff, when put in the right place, just like 100s of other heads do. If you dont hitem good, you wont always getem, dosent matter what head you shoot, have Just my $.02......
    Actually I was standing behind him and saw the point of impact. I wasn't even watching him to see when he shot, just watching the doe

5 arrows was a typo, I meant 5 inches. The shot should have been a double lung hit, a very solid double lung hit at that. Based on how far the deer went and the look of the blood trail it couldn't have been more then a single lung for some reason, The broadhead being the only possible cause.
    No I'm not dead

yeah really, I love the guy that called me a liar because there is no way a deer would follow a road.
    this reminds me of the first deer I ever saw get the shaft.....we were hunting off of a back rd that does not get much traffic ......
    my uncle was walking in front of me down the trail at lunch time we were headed to the car for some grub and a nap......
    well we are 100 or so yrds from the road and we spot a doe.....he shoots her perfect and we watch for a minute or so and she heads right to the road.....we figure she goes across and into the woods on the other side right......
    well we give about twenty minutes or so and head down to the road.....we go over into the woods figureing she would be right there......well shes not.....so we go back and pick up the blood.....
    we follow it to the road and the trail then makes a 90 degree turn and heads down the road in the gravel......so here we are.....i am about on my hands and knees for about 30 yrds looking for blood when.....we come to a rise in the road......as we look over and down the road.....guess what.......shes dead in the center of the road....and there were blood skid marks were she slid for 5 or so feet when she took that last breath.......

but they dont follow roads so it must have been a dream......

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    but they dont follow roads so it must have been a dream......
    Ohhh, but what a dream

humm interesting, That really stinks to loose that deer. Wonder what could go wrong to only let the arrow only penatrait 5 inches at 20 yards, what kind of setup he have, draw weight, speed, ext?