You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Gorilla Glue for inserts

Has anyone used gorilla glue for their inserts I was told it works great and is cheaper then other glues. >>>---->

Never used Gorilla glue, but I can tell you hot melt is the best thing I've used for inserts. Plus it's cheap. I use the same hot melt glue sticks my wife uses in her glue gun for arts and crafts.
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

I'm gona have to find something. I keep losing inserts inside my block target. It's not so bad when I notice it coming out.I can just take another arrow and shove it through with it. But once I get back to my table with my arrows in hand and notice an insert missing then well I just have to say good by to another one. Also the other day the arrows for the most part go through about 6in sticking out the other side and I went to pull it out and some how the insert kept going after the arrow stopped in the target. I thought that was wierd.
    Mathews Z7 Cobra release True Glo 5 pin Sight With optics light Doinker Stabilizer QAD drop away arrow rest and armed with Gold tip arrows with blood runner broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moore View Post
    I'm gona have to find something. I keep losing inserts inside my block target. It's not so bad when I notice it coming out.I can just take another arrow and shove it through with it. But once I get back to my table with my arrows in hand and notice an insert missing then well I just have to say good by to another one. Also the other day the arrows for the most part go through about 6in sticking out the other side and I went to pull it out and some how the insert kept going after the arrow stopped in the target. I thought that was wierd.

the best stuff on the market and not overrpriced:

any hobby shop.....and lancasters also carries it
    http://bsi-inc.com
    Bob Smith Industries maxi-cure glue

Quote Originally Posted by arrowum View Post
    Has anyone used gorilla glue for their inserts I was told it works great and is cheaper then other glues. >>>---->
    I use Gorilla glue all the time for my inserts. It's grate stuff. You need to get the Gorilla Glue that can not exspand. There is two difrent kind's.

vsa

I work at a hardware store we have both kinds so I'll deff get some then I'm gona have to get me some inserts as well. I guess I can buy just the inserts at the bow shop.
    Mathews Z7 Cobra release True Glo 5 pin Sight With optics light Doinker Stabilizer QAD drop away arrow rest and armed with Gold tip arrows with blood runner broadheads.

I use hot melt, and I've never lost an insert, even in a cold 3-D target. You gotta heat the insert, (AND the glue stick for just and instant), push it on and rotate it 1/2 turn. If you don't want to spring for an insert tool, just use a drill bit that fits into the insert snugly, held in a tap vise or a pair of pliers. Use the shank of the drill, not the twist end as it may damage the insert threads.

I'll probably try that we have all that stuff where I work. I'm about to goahead and buy some target arrows just a dozen at first. But if I keep losing tips I'm deff gona start fixing the arrows myself fletchins and all. I'm not gona keep going to the shop every time I need to repair one. Right now I got 4 in my case I can't use for this reason.

I'll probably try that we have all that stuff where I work. I'm about to goahead and buy some target arrows just a dozen at first. But if I keep losing tips I'm deff gona start fixing the arrows myself fletchins and all. I'm not gona keep going to the shop every time I need to repair one. Right now I got 4 in my case I can't use for this reason.
    Anybody can build better arrows than you can buy. It's not hard, and you need a minimum of equipment that will pay for itself shortly. Fletching jig, arrow saw, or some other means of cutting carbon arrows, scale, utlity knife, propane torch, a countersink, and a bottle of super glue, and yer good to go.

You said countersink where you talking about a thing that counter sinks screws and such. Or like a kitchen sink. LOL sorry for my ignorance. I'll do some more research on this as well. Thanks for the advice so far. Every one.

You said countersink where you talking about a thing that counter sinks screws and such. Or like a kitchen sink. LOL sorry for my ignorance. I'll do some more research on this as well. Thanks for the advice so far. Every one.
    A countersink as that used to countersink, or debur, a drilled hole. In this application a "light" countersinking of the shaft end not only removes any burr from the cut-off operation, but more importantly, it leaves a bit of room for the glue when installing the insert so that the insert flange bears directly against the shaft end for a more uniform & solid connection.
    "A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"
    2007/2008 Commander: 60lb/28" DL, HHA OL5519, Code Red, Choc Addiction, .400 Axis, Self-made Shoot-Thru
    2010 Elite GT500: 60lb/HHA DS5500, QAD UltraRest HD Pro Series, Victory VForce HV 400
    1965 Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve 50lb, 52", Original Bear Quiver & Cedar Arrows

Way Lowest Junior Member bowtech-john's Avatar

I have been using the expanding GG for a year now. I have not lost an insert yet! Clean the inside of the shaft and insert with completely denatured alcohol, let dry for at least 15 minutes.
    Wet shaft and insert. Use GG sparingly twisting 1/2 -3/4 turn while inserting, and wipe off excess with acetone - followed immediately with completely denatured alcohol.
    While glue is setting up I stand the arrows nock upright.
    I believe the expanding works best as it fills the voids and gives complete contact between shaft and insert
    I shoot bonarrow.

Wabbit Huntin

I use hot melt, no prep, no cleaning, never lose inserts. And with a little ingenuity it is easy to remove.
    www.redneckhunters.com

Hot melt or the HIT epoxy adhesive from Easton. They both work well, but the Easton adhesive is a little pricey.

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by arrowum View Post
    I agree. As long as the arrow is cleaned I have no problems even on all carbon arrows.

One thing I can say is definatly dont use a glue that gets hard or crystalizes. It gets brittle and everytime you shoot, the arrows jars the hardened glue loose and it eventually breaks loose. Then you lose your inserts. Thats why a gummier type of glue works better.

Quote Originally Posted by bowtech-john View Post
    I have been using the expanding GG for a year now. I have not lost an insert yet! Clean the inside of the shaft and insert with completely denatured alcohol, let dry for at least 15 minutes.
    Wet shaft and insert. Use GG sparingly twisting 1/2 -3/4 turn while inserting, and wipe off excess with acetone - followed immediately with completely denatured alcohol.
    While glue is setting up I stand the arrows nock upright.
    I believe the expanding works best as it fills the voids and gives complete contact between shaft and insert
    "Gorilla Glue," and all poly-type glues require water to cure properly. I us'em in construction all the time. If you're gonna use that stuff, just put some water on the inside of the shaft and the insert. You could probably use Titebond III, which is a damn site less expensive, and probably will hold as well...

After you cut your shafts, use a hand held countersink bit 3-4 turns. Hit the outside with a piece of 220 sandpaper a couple of turns to get any outside burrs off and prevent "strings" from starting on the shafts. There is a pricey tool available that'll do both jobs available from Lancaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    Hot melt or the HIT epoxy adhesive from Easton. They both work well, but the Easton adhesive is a little pricey.

Dan
    Hey Dan. That string supressor I got from you a couple months ago really did the trick on stopping the wear on my Mathews Ovation rubber suppressors.
    Changed the zero higher too, so I'm probably getting more speed. Chroned it at 261 the other day.
    Say, you got some Lens Kit B's in stock in 4X, for the HHA sliders?