You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Default Looking into a new womans bow maybe Hoyt Selena

Hey there everyone, I am new to this board and trying to get a feel for the whole thing. I have never posted on boards before.

So anyway, I have only been shooting for a couple of months now and I love it. I am currently shooting a Martin Jaguar. It seems to be a pretty good bow but I am looking for something a little smoother, a little lighter, and a little quicker. I was looking into maybe getting that new Hoyt Selena. I have never shot a split limb before is there much of a difference? Also since there are no retail stores around here that actually stock Hoyt if I want this thing I basicly have to buy it blind. I mean they will have to order it for me, so I will be paying for it before I ever get to check it out. So I guess I kinda got to know that that is exactly what I want.

What are the pros and cons about Hoyt bows?
    Does anyone know maybe what the going rate is for Selena is?

Also I am looking for a target buddy to shoot with. I am in the Terre Haute area, so if there is anyone interested in hangin out on a weekend to target shoot drop me a line and we can set something up.

rdnkgrl_robinhood

valee_girl70@yahoo.com

I dont know anything about the selena bow, but hoyt makes good stuff, as do others, It would be alot better if you could shoot it, but sometimes that just wont work out, and the chance is up to you, I have shot hoyts for along time, and they do what I expect of them. Good luck!!

I bought one for my wife. She loves it. I shoot a trykon and before that an ultramag. She now shoots a selena. If I remember correctly bare bow was between 500 and 600 out the door closer to the 600. The bow is a typical hoyt high end bow. She is pulling 35 lbs and gets 200 fps. It is a silent shooter. It is basially like every other hoyt. My wife doesnt complain of vibration. The cam and a half is a little tricky to tune, but once you know how it is easy. Let the bow shop set up the timing and draw length. Another thing to look at is draw lenght try to keep her in the high end of the cam meaning if her draw is 25 inches try to keep the max of the draw range of the bow as close to her draw length. This will give her more speed because she will be using the full performance of the cam. Also if she wants to pull more weight later you can replace the limbs for more weight. I believe that if my wife has a good time and has quality equiptment that allows her to shoot well and comfortable she will enjoy the sport more. Now she is hunting and target shooting with me I have a shooting partner for life. If this didn't tell you what you needed to know I'll keep watching this post for more questions. Thanks

Not to hijack the thread, but you ever been to the dirt track in terre Haute, I have seen it on tv, but never been their in person, have some great sprint car action their.....

Thumbs up Awesome!!

I have to say it is really nice to hear good stuff about this bow.. You know how it is when you think you already have your mind made up.. I have been looking at this bow for a couple of months now. Now they have the new 2007 out it and its a pretty little thing!! Weighs only bout 3lbs.

My draw is right about at 26 inch, with a d-ring I guess I am right about 26 1/2. I am currently pulling right at 53 lbs and its an easy enough draw that I shoot for hours at a time.

I am actually pretty new to the compound bow world. I just started shooting a couple of months ago. Once I picked it up I couldnt put it down. I started out with a PSE Deerhunter.. It didnt take me long to figure out that the PSE Deerhunter was piece of crap bow. I mean I could shoot pretty good with it but I hated it. It just didnt have a good feel. So I upgraded to a Martin Jaguar. It has been smooth sailing every since. As for sights I have a truglo five pin. I have it sighted up to 60 yards. I am really precisely acurate up to 40 (shooting arrows inside of arrows) but my fifty flexes at about a 10 inch group and my sixty is right around 12 to 14 inch groups. (if you can even call that a group)

I am basicly teaching myself to shoot because I dont know anyone around here who shoots. Any suggestions on pulling those distant groups a little closer?

By the way thank you for the info on Selena.. I think she become the newest member of my family..
    Last edited by rdnkgrl_robinhood; 11-02-2006 at 02:04 AM. Reason: adding info

Welcome to the board. You might want to try the womens board on archery talk many gals there own this bow. My first was a Martin they make good bows. I now own a Hoyt Cybertec which is no longer made. It is like night and day between the two makes. Hoyts are very smooth and the Selena is just made for women. One of my next buys when i up my poundage. Look at the Hoyt web site to find a store near you. All you have to do is add your sip and it shall list store that carry them.

Good Luck and happy shooting.

Default The Terre Haute Dirt Track

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but you ever been to the dirt track in terre Haute, I have seen it on tv, but never been their in person, have some great sprint car action their.....
    Yup.. My friend races there nearly every time they have the races.. If he isnt on the dirt track he on the drag strip.

I love the smell of Nitros in the morning!

Really I love the tracks here, they are well maintained, and always exciting... then again its racing... Whats not to love?

rdnkgrl_robinhood
    valee_girl70@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by cybercat View Post
    Welcome to the board. You might want to try the womens board on archery talk many gals there own this bow. My first was a Martin they make good bows. I now own a Hoyt Cybertec which is no longer made. It is like night and day between the two makes. Hoyts are very smooth and the Selena is just made for women. One of my next buys when i up my poundage. Look at the Hoyt web site to find a store near you. All you have to do is add your sip and it shall list store that carry them.

Good Luck and happy shooting.
    Great, I will look for the womans board.. I didnt know they had one on here specificly for women. I will try to check it out.

thnx

rdnkgrl_robinhood
    valee_girl70@yahoo.com

Site Guru

Just a suggestion but with what your pulling and draw length you don't need to limit yourself to womens bows. at 26 1/2 inc draw and 53 pounds your in the short draw cat but out of the womens cat.

I would look into the Bowtech Equalizer, INSANELY fast and I have yet to hear one negative comment about it (other then price)

Martin has several short draw bows as do a very large number of other manufacturers. Once you break that 26" barrier and the 50 pound barrier you have lots of options available.
    No I'm not dead

Default Hoyt Selena VS Bowtech Equalizer

Well actually the Bowtech Equalizer was the other bow I was looking at in comparison to the Hoyt Selena.
    I guess in this comparison I was trying to decide if I wanted a split limb or solid. I hear its a matter of preference, but I have never shot split limb before. Is there anything I should know about the differences between them?
    As for price they both seem to be running about the same. Between 550 and 600 for either one. I havent found them any cheaper anywhere. Both are within a 1/2 lb of eachother, Selena at 3 lbs and Equalizer at 3.5. But the Bowtech seems to offer more IBO speed between 294-302, and the Hoyt just lists a flat 287. So if I am pulling on the higher end of the draw length say 26 inch draw and the rated weight for the bow is 60 lbs and say I am pulling 54 lbs, with a 65% letoff how do I know what my IBO is? I want to maximize the speed I get out my bow, but I dont want to kill myself. I am comfortable with the weight I am pulling right now.

Help!

rdnkgrl_robinhood
    valee_girl70@yahoo.com
    Last edited by rdnkgrl_robinhood; 11-02-2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: addin info

Site Guru

there really isn't much difference between the split limb and solid limb other then looks.
    No I'm not dead

how about slinging a few thru a Mathews Mustang and letting us all know the difference in how all of them feel against each other.........for that matter and 26" 50lbs you could shoot an original switchback......you are one of those lucky people who can get all of the intermediate draw length and weight bows.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

really the ibo is not realistic. They are shooting the longest draw with an arrow with no vanes, a string with no silencing or any thing. I guess you could look at it as the best case senario. One thing with the solid limb bows is that the limbs crack up the middle. The split limb bows do not do that. Also in my opinion the split limb is quieter. A suggestion to pull your groups in tighter would be shoot your arrows through paper to check your arrow flight and the spine of your arrows. I would have to say those groups are really good. Look into a sight that has a 3rd axis or a level that can improve your left and right. After all if you are not square to your target and keep elevating your pin you might be actually moving the sight to say the two o'clock position or the two o'clock. If you are squared up with the target meaning level with the target. good luck I hope this helps.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Hey rdnk girl, I would like to recomend to get you some good instuction videos or dvd's on archery form before you get to far along, it will be of emenise value to you. Also the longer a bow you can handle the better off you will be in my opinion. I shoot a shadow cat with a 41 " axel to axel on targets and if Martin made a longer bow I would be shooting it..They are better shooters and much easier to handle for form if it is targets you are into now. I do like a short bow for hunting from stands and am looking into a 31" of some sorts but have yet to ask the gang here what's new and whats smoothest , I love the smooth stuff for It allows me to relax in my shot form begining to end of the which I think Martin is king of smooth. Maybe there is a indoors leauge or shop that will help you out, this will be ever so vital to forming the right habits with dat shot and will stay with for the rest of your day's, God Bless and straight shootin' Holy smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Well hello there my fellow HOOSIER and to the forum. I work in Terre Haute. Where do you shoot, Gander??????? Terre Haute needs another bow shop like Wilderness Shop was. I loved that place when they were open. Now Tom has a place north of town called Lonesome Elk but has no range to shoot at. He is a great guy to deal with. Maybe we can get together and fling some arrows, that is if you do not mind shooting with a guy with a Mathews. The Darkside is gaining power the force is strong here.

"HONDA"

Default Whatch waitin for?? Lets shoot

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Well hello there my fellow HOOSIER and to the forum. I work in Terre Haute. Where do you shoot, Gander??????? Terre Haute needs another bow shop like Wilderness Shop was. I loved that place when they were open. Now Tom has a place north of town called Lonesome Elk but has no range to shoot at. He is a great guy to deal with. Maybe we can get together and fling some arrows, that is if you do not mind shooting with a guy with a Mathews. The Darkside is gaining power the force is strong here.
    I shoot at Gander nearly everyday, I am sure those boys in there are getting tired of me by now. They laugh at the way I shoot, but I hit my mark
    I have been out to Lonesome Elk several times, that is where I was going to order my next bow. I mean I like shooting at Gander but they dont really have much to offer me as far as bows go. I guess being a woman they really dont stock much in kinda bow. But the boys that work there are all really nice and polite, they are always willing to help, (when they arnt laughin at me).
    They all got a good laugh the other day when Michael Waddell was in there, I carried my bow in there so I could have him autograph it I have to say I did feel a little outta place there, mostly men, but it was still a lot of fun.

Well I will tell you what I shoot nearly everyday, I like to shoot outside at Hawthorn when its dry and the weather isnt too bad, otherwise I shoot there at Gander, so anytime you want to get together you just let me know. That is if you dont mind shooting with a Girl that shoots a Martin.

If you want you can email me and we will get together or something.
    Thnx

rdnkgrl_robinhood
    valee_girl70@yahoo.com