You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default HELP!! Can't miss again!!

Just started stand hunting this year. My optimal shot comes at 22 yards. I use a single pin sight that is dead on @ 20yds (ground level). My stand is approx. 20ft high. What should my aiming point be? High, low or dead on.

Thanks!!!!!!

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

If shooting anything close to 250 fps I would just hold dead on the spot right behind the shoulder if broad side, further back for quarteing away say mid section of kill, right and left ,and then collect me some savory meat. by the way deer is lower in colestorl and fat than chicken,so Hunt Healthy & Straight Shootin, Holy Smokes we need an smiley that says CHOMP^ love dem smileys^

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    If shooting anything close to 250 fps I would just hold dead on the spot right behind the shoulder if broad side, further back for quarteing away say mid section of kill, right and left ,and then collect me some savory meat. by the way deer is lower in colestorl and fat than chicken,so Hunt Healthy & Straight Shootin, Holy Smokes we need an smiley that says CHOMP^ love dem smileys^
    Welcome to the forum. The easiest way to say it is aim for the opposite shoulder. Then , then . Nuff Said

I would suggest you get some practice in from that height and then you will know where to aim. We all owe it to our game to practice in real hunting scenerio's. I have not got much experience hunting from treestands but believe you will probably hit a little high if you are sighted in from ground level and shooting from 20ft up. Something about gravity or trajectory or something Good luck and bag a big one bud.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I would suggest you get some practice in from that height and then you will know where to aim. We all owe it to our game to practice in real hunting scenerio's. I have not got much experience hunting from treestands but believe you will probably hit a little high if you are sighted in from ground level and shooting from 20ft up. Something about gravity or trajectory or something Good luck and bag a big one bud.
    Yes practice from a treestand is the best idea. You will always hear to aim low when in a treestand. If you use a rangefinder and the "target" is at 40 yards, and you are 20-25 ft up your actual yardage is around 35. If the "target" is at 20 yrds your actual yardage is around 19. So at 20-25 yards the difference is minimal. Out to 30 yrds I aim dead-on for the opposite shoulder. But yes practice is the best idea.

I would suggest setting up a stand in your yard the same height as the one in the woods and stoot at different distances
    ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
    Myspace:myspace.com/08_stroker

I will be doing some practice out of my hunting stands. On 11-02-06 I was 12ft up a tree and was shooting down a West Virginia hillside at exactly 30yards at a deer and used my 30yd pin and sailed an arrow over her back. But, later I stuck her mother at 15yrds with my 20yrd pin and had a high hit and a delayed recovery the next morning for my first archery deer. The angles out of tree stand and being on a steep slopinig hillside will definitely make a difference. The only way I know how to compensate for this is to practice. I will be practicing more.

Practice makes perfect, or something like that!!!!
    ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
    Myspace:myspace.com/08_stroker

Take some practice shots and bend at the waist. If you don't bend at the waist, your shots will be high. I'm also guessing that the straightline distance is less than 22 yards.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies