You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default bow kills second sight... deer rest easy

The bow has now managed to break two sights.
    The first was a Tru-Glo Brite Site Xtreme, the second a Copper John Dead Nuts.

Original problem : mounting arm screws would come loose
    Original solution : Loctite the screws

New Problem : sight mounting arm develops cracks

The Tru-Glo was in pieces after about 100 shots. The Copper John cracked after a few hundred shots. So far it's non fatal (after around 600 shots), but it's fretting like mad (prolific aluminum dust around the crack line.)

I have a new High Country Archery Maveric model hunting bow. It's a 70# DW on a 32" DL (and with a 78 inch arm span I'd buy a longer draw if I could find it.) Arrows are carbon express cx 400's with a 90 grain field point. I'm shooting relaese off a string loop. The only thing I've added to the bow is a Doinker A-bomb 7" hunter extreme stabilizer.

An oh, today the string has started to badly fray above the top serving and the guide bar has backed 3/8" out of the riser (yet the string guides still move freely on the bar.)

What in tarnation am I doing wrong??

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dogbowne View Post
    The bow has now managed to break two sights.
    The first was a Tru-Glo Brite Site Xtreme, the second a Copper John Dead Nuts.

Original problem : mounting arm screws would come loose
    Original solution : Loctite the screws

New Problem : sight mounting arm develops cracks

The Tru-Glo was in pieces after about 100 shots. The Copper John cracked after a few hundred shots. So far it's non fatal (after around 600 shots), but it's fretting like mad (prolific aluminum dust around the crack line.)

I have a new High Country Archery Maveric model hunting bow. It's a 70# DW on a 32" DL (and with a 78 inch arm span I'd buy a longer draw if I could find it.) Arrows are carbon express cx 400's with a 90 grain field point. I'm shooting relaese off a string loop. The only thing I've added to the bow is a Doinker A-bomb 7" hunter extreme stabilizer.

An oh, today the string has started to badly fray above the top serving and the guide bar has backed 3/8" out of the riser (yet the string guides still move freely on the bar.)

What in tarnation am I doing wrong??
    if your bow is torquing the riser enough to bend the arms on a Copper John there are some issues w/ that bow. It could just be the way it is made as some bows torque a lot more then others but I would think that the handshock on this bow would be sooo bad that you wouldn't want to shoot it anyway.
    No I'm not dead

Does the bow have a lot of vibration after the shot and do you know the arrow weight?

Reason I ask is that a 72# bow at 32" of draw is putting out a lot of energy and speed. I dont have my arrow program running right now but I would say the 400s are on the light side (guessing around 380 grains, give or take) and they are probably very very weak in spine for your setup. I'm thinking you need alot stiffer spined arrows and maybe a little heavier also.

tek,

The CX 400 is not as light as you think. You're thinking of the spine numbers such as Easton/Beman uses. The CX's are not a .400 spine, but closer to .300. Carbon Express never could get their arrows marked right. They're backwards.

I have not shot any of the new HCA bows but if they are anything like the older ones they do have quite a bit of aftershock. You may want to add some limb savers and an STS to try and cut down on the vibration. Also weigh your arrows and if they are on the light side(under 450gr) I would try some a little heavier to soak up some energy. With your DL you should have plenty of speed from that bow. So I would try anything to take the shock out of the shot. JMO Good luck and by the way WELCOME to the forum.

"HONDA"

The bow does not have noticeable hand shock, although it sure seems like it should given vibration levels high enough to crack sight mounting arms.

The arrows are under 450 grain total weight. What I'm shooting now are 8.6 gpi. With a 90 grain point plus insert & vanes total weight is in the 390 grain range. Looks like I need to be 10+ gpi and probably use a 100 grain tip to get in the 450 range. Sounds like some limb savers are in order too.

Any specific recommendations on a better arrow shaft for my set up are appreciated. Thanks!

This may help. I dont shoot a high country but I shoot a trykon at 74 lbs and my arrows weigh 487 grains including the point I am shooting easton st axis 300s and they are about 30 inches long my draw lenth is 28 inches. I am thinking if you go to a much heavier arrow you will solve the vibration problem. My god a 32 inch draw that is huge. Do your arrows make a sonic boom when fired. Those arrows must be smokin.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    tek,

The CX 400 is not as light as you think. You're thinking of the spine numbers such as Easton/Beman uses. The CX's are not a .400 spine, but closer to .300. Carbon Express never could get their arrows marked right. They're backwards.
    You are exactly right..thats what I was thinking. My bad...thanks for pointing that out. Sure wish I had TAP up and running to check those arrows out.

why is CX numbers wrong?????.......the higher the number the stiffer the spine......seems pretty easy to remember even for little ol' me.........
    I cut things up and split them down!

If it is a mostly hunting rig, you can, and maybe should, go with a heavier arrow. 70# with 32" draw is a LOT of energy. You could try a heavier stabilizer too if you want to save on arrow weight. You wont be transferring the energy off the string like a heavier arrow would, but the heaver Stab would absorb some of the riser shock. If you have riser screw in in the back, you can also use some vibracheck harmonic Dampeners or Sims version to try and cut out some of the energy before it reaches your sight.

Here are what the Vibracheck HDS look like.
    bow kills second sight... deer rest easy - General Archery Forum
    2006 PSE Diablo - 26"/68# |VBG Triangle | WB DX QS | ST Magnums
    TR One Piece Quiver | Doinker 7" M-Rod | Vibracheck HD | Scott Wildcat
    Box Family Archery Site / Diablo Owners Club / Maine Hunter Support Group

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    why is CX numbers wrong?????.......the higher the number the stiffer the spine......seems pretty easy to remember even for little ol' me.........
    because the spine ratiing is HOW much the arrow bends. so a .300 arrow bends less then a .400 arrow.

except for a few manufactures who go the other way.
    No I'm not dead

I talked with a tech at High Country and he says the Maverick bow with my set up (32"DL 70#DW) should have no shock problem with a 390 grain total arrow weight (and said it could even be lighter.) Comment was that both of the sights I broke must be deffective. Seems contrary to the evidence at hand. Being a new bow they did offer to take a look at it, re-string it, and re-install the cable guide bar. So at least they're not totally blowing it off.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm looking in to what other shock absorbers I can get mounted than just the Doinker stabilizer I'm using now.

Enjoyed your comments phone guy. The disgusting part is even at 32" when at full draw I'm still about 3" shy of wear the string should be (relative to a person's nose) for a properly fitted bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    because the spine ratiing is HOW much the arrow bends. so a .300 arrow bends less then a .400 arrow.

except for a few manufactures who go the other way.
    there you go again always talking about others going the other way......ever stop to think maybe its you that goes the other way.......
    I cut things up and split them down!