You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Because Im a PO boy. Paris will be my first.
    DB
    Me 2 we was going to GA but dad wont be ready he been working and finding us a 4,000 acre rancher to hunt on
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Make some room on that ranch for me
    Goldtip Arrows,T.R.U. Ball Releases
    ,Bohning vanes

Quote Originally Posted by okarcher View Post
    Make some room on that ranch for me
    4,000 acres I am sure there is room that farmer told dad and blake that he hates deer
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Default Ok.....

So, if I was to shoot four qualifiers in hunter class and won the fourth one I would have to move into Unlimited class where there are not enough shooters to have a SOY? Or does this mean if you are shooter of the year in one class then you move to the next class up the next year? I understand if this is for SOY but not if you have to move up to the next class in the middle of the season. If that's the case then your first three shoots in the class are for nothing, if you indeed have to move out. I have no problem moving out of one class if I was shooter of the year in that class. But not if I happen to win a shoot for any reason other than shooting good. What if there is a low turnout and I shoot horribly and still win my class? Why would I have to move to a more advanced class just because there weren't many shooters? Do you see what I'm getting at. I think this needs to be looked into a little more. I'm speaking for several people that are concerned about this, including myself. I was really excited about shooting the state ASA this year but I'm not sure now. I think there should be a way that all ASA members in the state know what is being brought to the table. Maybe a meeting at the end of the season or something like that. I'm not sure ALL the ranges voted on this anyway. I think as a dues paying ASA member, then we should at least be able to vote or have a little say in what is going on in our own state. I think the members here need to be a little more involved in what's going on in our state and be a little more in the know. Just a few questions I have. Don't want to ruffle any feathers but I think this needs to be adressed ASAP. Thanks,

Chris

Chris, I believe that you only move up the following year if you win state or SOY. You don't have to move up in the middle of the season. I whole-heartly agree with you, we do need to have a meeting sometime in the year so we as shooters can be heard. The SOY should be determined like on national level, I believe everyone should be doing this that way there is no average, point system, or anything else, everyone needs to do it the same. I have been saying for years, Texas knows how to run ASA state wide and other states need to take notes. Mike and Tracy Smith does an awesome job and runs it smoothly. Chris, hope your questions get answered and if you get a chance, go shoot a qualifier in Texas and see how it is done.
    Elisha Plum--Hoyt Staff--VANGUARD Pro Staff--Goldtip Staff--Archery Outpost--Sure-Loc--Proud member of Creek County Archers

Default Thanks

Thanks Elisha. I spoke with Chad a few minutes ago and he kinda cleared it up for me. I think there are a few issues that do need to be resolved. The "rule" that dont set right with me is having to move out of Bow Novice or Open C if you shoot it for two years. I don't think you should have to move up unless you're ready. All this will do is discourage the more unexperienced shooters to attend shoots if they are forced to shoot out of their league. I have shot a qualifier in Paris. You are correct. They know what they're doing down there. There is no reason we cant do the same. But I don't see why we cant have a get together after each season to adress any issues about our state shoot. As far as the ranges "voting" on these changes, that also needs to be addressed. If they did indeed all vote then fine. But I'm not sure that is a true statement.

The novice move up after 2yrs in no good. If a shooter isn't good enough to win his way out of novice after 2yrs what makes you think he needs to be shooting a higher class that doesn't make to much sense. Thats just going to cause some of them to quit shooting ASA all together

Shooter of the year needs to be based on scores not a point system. I know its to get more people to go to more shoots, but it sure does water it down. Have a set # of shoots needed to attend and the state just like at the pro/am level and if they go to more than needed take their highest score for the total.
    ,Bohning vanes

Default Its novice

The novice move up after 2yrs in no good. If a shooter isn't good enough to win his way out of novice after 2yrs what makes you think he needs to be shooting a higher class that doesn't make to much sense. Thats just going to cause some of them to quit shooting ASA all together

Shooter of the year needs to be based on scores not a point system. I know its to get more people to go to more shoots, but it sure does water it down. Have a set # of shoots needed to attend and the state just like at the pro/am level and if they go to more than needed take their highest score for the total.
    If your a novice after two years something wrong. This is a class for first time archers. Open C is diffiantly where someone needs to move too.

You cant go on scores due to soft and hard courses. It just doesnt work.

Talked to Luke and state level has nothing to do with Pro am level. Move up lists on pro am level is what you use on that level.

The idea is to encorage everyone to attend.
    DB
    DB
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 02-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

So if what you guys are saying that since Nat Pro Ams have no bearing on Local shoots, then me getting kicked out of hunter class on the national level has no bearing what I shoot here locally. Sweet that means no one here can complain if I decide to shoot the hunter class locally.....

We have to be careful how and what we rule on cause it can go both ways. I remember Dicksenn was shooting different class at nat and local and was asked not to, by who I am not sure. He was winning at nat. and they did not like it I guess.

Oh and I am just bringing this up for something to think about not that I am thinking about actually doing that.

Default Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    If your a novice after two years something wrong. This is a class for first time archers. Open C is diffiantly where someone needs to move too.

You cant go on scores due to soft and hard courses. It just doesnt work.

Talked to Luke and state level has nothing to do with Pro am level. Move up lists on pro am level is what you use on that level.

The idea is to encorage everyone to attend.
    DB
    DB
    Open C is where someone wants to move to if they want to shoot open class. As far as the soft and hard courses go doesn't everyone get the oportunity to shoot the same courses? If you think one is easier than the other then you better not miss that one. Not trying to start an argument here but I just think there are too many ASA members in the dark on these subjects. Don't get me wrong, I am greatful that we have as many shoots and a good organization like ASA in our state. I just think we need to put our heads together as often as possible and make it better. There's always room for improvement. Besides, I'd like for all of us to get together once a year and shoot the bull and cook some good food. Always got to have the chow.

Thank you Mike I remember that same conversation about dicksenn shooting one class local and another national. As for ranges gettting to vote on what we shooters get to do is wrong. Some of these ranges are new or have been in asa for couple of years, its us shooters that get to vote on something that concerns us. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the ranges to get involved but the shooters need to be heard also. Plus, I like the idea of all of us to get together at one time and get our grub on, too.
    Elisha Plum--Hoyt Staff--VANGUARD Pro Staff--Goldtip Staff--Archery Outpost--Sure-Loc--Proud member of Creek County Archers

Sorry DB but a novice to me is someone who does not shoot much. If I only shot 4 or 5 times year and hit a asa in my state here and there and shot novice and never really did very well and someone told me I had to go shoot at a higher level then I just go shoot else where. Obviously if I was a competitor then novice would on be a one year thing anyways and move on.

On the subject of not shooting what you shoot local and at pro/am only refers to you if you shoot a higher class at local than you do pro/am. For instance I shoot open B at the state level but shoot open C at the pro/ams cause I hadn't won my way out of that class at the pro/ams. It was no way intended that you could shoot a higher class at pro/ams then shoot a lower class at state. For instance I shoot Semi-pro at pro/ams and Open A at the state level now that wouldn't work and I didn't and would not emply that
    ,Bohning vanes

Default Chad

Sorry DB but a novice to me is someone who does not shoot much. If I only shot 4 or 5 times year and hit a asa in my state here and there and shot novice and never really did very well and someone told me I had to go shoot at a higher level then I just go shoot else where. Obviously if I was a competitor then novice would on be a one year thing anyways and move on.

On the subject of not shooting what you shoot local and at pro/am only refers to you if you shoot a higher class at local than you do pro/am. For instance I shoot open B at the state level but shoot open C at the pro/ams cause I hadn't won my way out of that class at the pro/ams. It was no way intended that you could shoot a higher class at pro/ams then shoot a lower class at state. For instance I shoot Semi-pro at pro/ams and Open A at the state level now that wouldn't work and I didn't and would not emply that
    There lots of guys that shoot one or two events a year. That dont make them a beginning archer. I have done novice in many sports. Its for the beginner, there fore the word novice Not someone that shoots two or three events a years for many years. Sad part is there many that start in novice and there no way there a beginning archer. Diffiantly on the pro am level.
    DB
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I'm not sure if it even works that way. For clarification about my situation I won out of Hunter on the state level so my next move was to Open B. I never won out on the national level in hunter but since I wanted to shoot a scope I also moved to Open B on the national level. Open B is where I was supposed to be but nobody was shooting Open B at the state level. I didn't like shooting against just me in Open B locally so I decided to challenge myself and shoot Open A locally which was a move up.

The problem was I won 2 Open B national tournaments and placed 5th in another. No biggie Open B was where I was supposed to be but in Mike Terrell's eyes it looked like I was an Open A shooter (state level) sandbagging on the national circuit. I only shot Open A locally so driving to shoots meant I could actually compete but that stinkin David Oles won it (good shooting Dave )

I was never talked to, but I was under the impression that ASA said something to Luke and Annette about it so I would have to ask Luke for clarification.
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

Richard they have been several do that at the state level for the exact same reason as you. Who wants to go shoot a class with just one or very few people in it. Its not like you tried to go back and shoot hunter. The competition just isn't the same on the state level in general to compare it to the pro/am level. Sandbagging is a very lose term and many times a good archer on his way up gets called that out of jealousy of their success. To me its a learning curve and you move up as the rules allow or as you feel its time to raise yourself to another level. Some people jump to fast because of success at the local levels without understanding what it really takes to compete at a national level. You decided which class for you this year, will we be competing against each other or what?
    ,Bohning vanes

I tried to get an end of the year meeting together in 2009 after many said they wanted to... but that got shot down. Most clubs/ranges will do what the shooters want, they are their bread and butter.

In my own opinion. Bow Novice and Open C are for beginners. I wish they had enough women shooters to have a womens novice and open c. 2 years is plenty long enough to learn the ropes and move to the intermediate class (hunter, open b) This may not be the opinion of one or two that only shoot a tournament once or twice a year, but this decision is based on what is best and the most fair for the majority. You can't please everyone.

On shooting different classes for state and national.. well, look back a year or two and tell me why anyone would enter womens open in Oklahoma? There were NO shooters. So, in a case like that, they should be allowed to come in with a hunter set up and shoot with the hunter class.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Isn't that sad Julie, you was trying to set it up but someone else shot it down. You are right, most ranges will listen to the shooters but we need to be heard on other aspects. Asa will not continue to grow if people aren't willing to listen to change and be willing to do it. All I see is trying to keep it the old way because they think it works but guess what, we as shooters would like to see change. You are right, two years ago no open shooters, last year 2!!!!

Richard they have been several do that at the state level for the exact same reason as you. Who wants to go shoot a class with just one or very few people in it. Its not like you tried to go back and shoot hunter. The competition just isn't the same on the state level in general to compare it to the pro/am level. Sandbagging is a very lose term and many times a good archer on his way up gets called that out of jealousy of their success. To me its a learning curve and you move up as the rules allow or as you feel its time to raise yourself to another level. Some people jump to fast because of success at the local levels without understanding what it really takes to compete at a national level. You decided which class for you this year, will we be competing against each other or what?
    I totally agree.

Whether you can or can't do that officially is what I'm uncertain of. All I know is it is up to us all to keep each other honest and in check. I guess I did the same thing last year since we didn't have K50 and in the rules it's under the Pro division so I just shot with the pros locally. Because of that now I have to wait two years to get out of the Pro division or write a written request to ASA to let me move down.
    Last edited by dicksenn; 02-10-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

Quote Originally Posted by dicksenn View Post
    I totally agree.

Whether you can or can't do that officially is what I'm uncertain of. All I know is it is up to us all to keep each other honest and in check. I guess I did the same thing last year since we didn't have K50 and in the rules it's under the Pro division so I just shot with the pros locally. Because of that now I have to wait two years to get out of the Pro division or write a written request to ASA to let me move down.

Richard-

I believe since you didnt win any money in the K50 you can move back