You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Heavier arrow carries better down wind

Interesting theory. Terry Reynolds shooting a 575 grn arrow won the pro class.

Some are saying it will drop less downwind for 35yrds to 50yrds due to KE on the front. Im having a hard time understanding this. Tom Crowe success is hard to argue with.

Sure paid off in the shoot down in that wind. He sure didnt drift like others.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post

Some are saying it will drop less downwind for 35yrds to 50yrds due to KE on the front. Im having a hard time understanding this. Tom Crowe success is hard to argue with.

DB
    DB what weight is he shooting off the Monster?You would think he would have alot of drop with a arrow that heavy for sure
    Bowtech Bows, Goldtip, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, Tru Ball, Axcel
    Whistling Wings Guide Service
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Default Dont know

Quote Originally Posted by hstubblefield View Post
    DB what weight is he shooting off the Monster?You would think he would have alot of drop with a arrow that heavy for sure
    I have no idea. 550 grn arrow at 29"/30" draw he would be shooting alot of poundage I would think.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I have no idea. 550 grn arrow at 29"/30" draw he would be shooting alot of poundage I would think.
    DB
    To get 280-288 out of it you would think around 75# or 80#
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

I been telling you that for years big guy...

Easy to test... go get a ping pong ball and a golf ball, throw them both as hard as you can in a 10 mph cross wind.... see which one goes further and deflects less because of the wind...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

To get 280-288 out of it you would think around 75# or 80#
    According to the charts... 70lbs would be 278, 75lbs would be 288.
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

71# on his Monster XLR8, I read on the 'other' forum. I met him a couple years back at one of OBT's Smackdown's in MI and he was shooting a C4 indoors at 72#. I don't think he even hit the 10 line that night.
    Anyone know what kind of stabilizer he was using?
    In a better world, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would be the name of a convenience store and not the name of a govenment agency.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post

Easy to test... go get a ping pong ball and a golf ball, throw them both as hard as you can in a 10 mph cross wind.... see which one goes further and deflects less because of the wind...
    What about small arrows javi like a Ace?I know they are lighter but everyone shoots them in field is it for weight or does a small arrow take wind better than most?
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

For the most part I thought Tom was pulling back 80 lbs for outdoor I know he has said that he needs to draw his equipment back every day in order to keep the muscle memory needed for drawing the bow. You take a very heavy and large diameter arrow and put what ever power is needed behind it to make the max speed that is allow. No wind drifting going on at all kinda like shooting a 300 grain bullet versus a 150 grain it just plows the wind and hits hard.

I know for shooting outdoor Fita and Field we would go as heavy as we could with our equipment and the Gold Tips while focusing on a minimum speed of 270 versus trying to go lighter and achieve 280 this would give you a more consistent arrow when reaching out to 80 to 100 yards for hitting the bullseye.

Jeff
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

What about small arrows javi like a Ace?I know they are lighter but everyone shoots them in field is it for weight or does a small arrow take wind better than most?
    If comparing two shafts of very similar weights and lengths with the difference being weight alone then the smaller diameter shaft will present less surface area and deviation from wind. However, a heavier shaft of the same diameter will deviate substantially less than a lighter one. Balance or FOC will also be a factor, while it is true that a higher FOC will stabilize a shaft quicker off the string it is also true that it will cause nose diving after the shaft reaches the apogee of its trajectory. Under normal conditions this isnít a problem at the distances we shoot in 3-D. In fact a well balanced shaft with a reasonable FOC, and with a good weight to surface area ratio would actually drop less because of a higher ballistic coefficient (less drag).

Most folks are so eat up with speed being the savior of poor distance judging that they donít look to the physical properties of the equipment and how that can affect accuracy.
    Last edited by JAVI; 02-08-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Default Crowe

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    For the most part I thought Tom was pulling back 80 lbs for outdoor I know he has said that he needs to draw his equipment back every day in order to keep the muscle memory needed for drawing the bow. You take a very heavy and large diameter arrow and put what ever power is needed behind it to make the max speed that is allow. No wind drifting going on at all kinda like shooting a 300 grain bullet versus a 150 grain it just plows the wind and hits hard.

I know for shooting outdoor Fita and Field we would go as heavy as we could with our equipment and the Gold Tips while focusing on a minimum speed of 270 versus trying to go lighter and achieve 280 this would give you a more consistent arrow when reaching out to 80 to 100 yards for hitting the bullseye.

Jeff
    Tom shoots 80lbs (indoors as well ) and has to build special axle to hold up on the cams.
    DB

Default Ill diffiantly be shooting as much as I can.

I always shoot the most weight I can for 3d. Wont be much this year.
    Maybe 120grns in the front end of xcutters for a totale weight of 360grns.
    DB

How do they pull 80lbs on a bow? that is one heck of a lot of weight! I just strained my shoulder pulling my Iceman at 66lbs.

I am going to try shooting the pro light 22's with 110 grains in front end which weigh exactly the same as my xcutters with 90 grains in the front. I believe and I hope Javi will jump in on this, the heavier front end and the smaller diameter shaft will carry alittle further down range then the xcutter, due to less resistance and more FOC.

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    I am going to try shooting the pro light 22's with 110 grains in front end which weigh exactly the same as my xcutters with 90 grains in the front. I believe and I hope Javi will jump in on this, the heavier front end and the smaller diameter shaft will carry alittle further down range then the xcutter, due to less resistance and more FOC.
    Yep...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Yep...
    thanks Javi for confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by ba3darcher View Post
    thanks Javi for confirmation.
    My arrows weigh 456grns
    Bad Boys Bowfishing

Quote Originally Posted by SARASR View Post
    How do they pull 80lbs on a bow? that is one heck of a lot of weight! I just strained my shoulder pulling my Iceman at 66lbs.
    They... are using a different set of muscles
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

James Drouillard

DB
    Isn't Tom Crowe shooting a 400 gr arrow for IBO? I thought thats what I heard. Thats not all that heavy. They are using heavy arrows cause they have to so they can get the speeds down. As far as Terry, I am not sure what he'll be running for IBO. As good as he was this weekend, why change!
    James Drouillare...Adams Archery...Hoyt...Easton...Trophy Taker...Scott Archery...Doinker...Muzzy...Bohning

Quote Originally Posted by ruttinbuck View Post
    Isn't Tom Crowe shooting a 400 gr arrow for IBO? I thought thats what I heard. Thats not all that heavy. They are using heavy arrows cause they have to so they can get the speeds down. As far as Terry, I am not sure what he'll be running for IBO. As good as he was this weekend, why change!
    They shoot a heavy arrow because they want the forgivness,, and compared to most IBO arrows a 400 grain is heavy..but not as heavy as the ASA arrows he uses. I've shot on the stake with Tom more than once and I can tell you the difference...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper