You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Several of the Senior Pros are shooting big and heavy arrows, Tom Crowe shoots the 26 diam that weigh in around if I'm not mistaken around 600+ grains, Dan Renner is shooting 27 dia that weigh in around 500 grains. Both arrows will not deflect very much when shot into a wad on a target.

I am contemplating bumping up the poundage on my XXL and going w/ 140 grains in the front on the X-Cutters. I figure I will need to pull 65 or 66 pounds to get 280FPS. That would still only be a 390 grain arrow, nothing like what thes guys are shooting
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    I been telling you that for years big guy...

Easy to test... go get a ping pong ball and a golf ball, throw them both as hard as you can in a 10 mph cross wind.... see which one goes further and deflects less because of the wind...
    to compare apples to apples a golf ball weighs 17 times that of a ping pong ball . so if you started with a 350 grain arrow you would have to have a 5950 grain arrow to make it equal ,at 40 yards i would guess that the 350 grain arrow would have less drift do to the fact that propably have to almost shoot the heavy arrow at a 45% angle to get it to the target and it still might not make it there .now if that heavy arrow was shot out of a 1200 lb bow it would have less wind drift .but than again the lighter arrow would probably do around 2800 fps so there wouldnt be much drift there either .

Default Heavier

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    to compare apples to apples a golf ball weighs 17 times that of a ping pong ball . so if you started with a 350 grain arrow you would have to have a 5950 grain arrow to make it equal ,at 40 yards i would guess that the 350 grain arrow would have less drift do to the fact that propably have to almost shoot the heavy arrow at a 45% angle to get it to the target and it still might not make it there .now if that heavy arrow was shot out of a 1200 lb bow it would have less wind drift .but than again the lighter arrow would probably do around 2800 fps so there wouldnt be much drift there either .
    Seems to work for some and I know these guys know there stuff. I was told he tighten his sight tape up seven yards by shooting this arrow. Javi 100% RIGHT. Many pros have told me to shoot a heavy arrow atleast in the front for years

Terry has his Mathews Monster XLR8 set at
    28.5" draw length and 73 pounds. He is shooting
    Gold Tip Triple X arrows with four inch NAP
    Quick Spin Vanes. The total arrow weighs 546
    grains with 220 grains in point weight.
    "Which is kind of odd," Terry admits. "This is
    actually my spot set up. I was shooting this for
    spots and it just happens to shoot 280 so I left it
    right there."
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

While it is a rough analogy it is still a valid one.. the object lesson isn't the exact deviation only that a deviation will occur.. with such analogies it is important not to think too literally, practical common sense must be used...

If you don't agree with the theory, then disprove it. But you're sure gonna surprise a whole bunch of scientists as well as FITA, Field, long range fire arm shooters and even a few rocket scientists when you somehow change the laws of physics..
    Last edited by JAVI; 02-09-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
    I am contemplating bumping up the poundage on my XXL and going w/ 140 grains in the front on the X-Cutters. I figure I will need to pull 65 or 66 pounds to get 280FPS. That would still only be a 390 grain arrow, nothing like what thes guys are shooting
    That's what I've shot for the last couple of years and it works. My x-cutters are generally 26 1/2" to 27" with 140 grain nibbs, and blazer vanes. They usually weigh anywhere from 390 to 400 grains. They fly like darts and are plenty heavy.

The weights these guys are using are extreme. In the last several years when I tell people my arrows weigh 400 grains they think that is really heavy since a lot of people are shooting right at the 5 grains per inch.
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

Quote Originally Posted by dicksenn View Post
    That's what I've shot for the last couple of years and it works. My x-cutters are generally 26 1/2" to 27" with 140 grain nibbs, and blazer vanes. They usually weigh anywhere from 390 to 400 grains. They fly like darts and are plenty heavy.

The weights these guys are using are extreme. In the last several years when I tell people my arrows weigh 400 grains they think that is really heavy since a lot of people are shooting right at the 5 grains per inch.
    Thanks for the information Richard Mine will have to be 27 1/2 to 28", so around 400 to 405 then. I think that would bump the F.O.C. up around 13.5%, which should be good for 3d.
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
    Thanks for the information Richard Mine will have to be 27 1/2 to 28", so around 400 to 405 then. I think that would bump the F.O.C. up around 13.5%, which should be good for 3d.
    Yeah you'll be good. I've never checked the FOC on mine because they've always worked.
    Archery Outpost
    Tulsa, OK
    Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Elite & Mission Bows

Remember that FOC is percentage; if the only factor to change is shaft length the shorter shaft will have a higher FOC..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Jerry Whittington

terry was shooting 73 lbs if I remember what he told me correctly...

What your saying may be true, but only if you are (not considering) the facts that both arrows weighing of different weights were shot from the same point A to point B with (and here’s the catch) – with a maximum speed of 280 fps now in this case both probably carry close to the same arc the only difference is the heavier had a harder kick in the pants when leaving point A, and will now being that they “both will travel across the range at the same speed” in the wind – the heavier will drift less

Just my opinion
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

agreed , its going to drift some . but comparing it to a train , bowling ball , golf ball , tennis ball , etc .lets say the 350m grain arrow is a axis and the 588 grain arrow is a 2613 .both leaving at 280 fps at 35 yards in a 20 mile an hour cross wind . how much would each one drift ?