You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Hello and a Few Questions!

Hey, Scott here.

I was a member over at Biill Shiver's old forum, but it's long gone.
    With their help, I was able to set up and learn to shoot my first bow ever, a PSE Polaris. (takes you back a little, eh?)

Well, I had been thinking about replacing that bow, it's heavy and outdated. Hell, the deer didn't seem to mind that though, haha.

I was in a pawn shop, (oh brother, another pawn shop bow,) and spotted a bow that had just come in. I pick it up, look it over, and see that it's a Hoyt ZR 100. I ask, "How much for this bow?" and the guy says, "Oh, someone offered me a hundred yesterday." so I said, "I'll give you $80 for it right now."
    He said, "It's yours."

So I get it home, and begin switching stuff from bow to bow. This will be a hunting bow, and I'm not a fan of the latest and greatest when I have someting that puts meat on the table.
    I do want it to be set up properly though.

I decreased the draw weight down to a comfortable 65# or so, someone had it maxed out and just about overtightened the torque screws. It draws nice and easy, and I marked the bolts and did them equally.

I want a whisker biscuit, like I had. Only this time, I want one that is for graphite arrows, and not aluminum, lol. Hey, it worked, but come on.
    I don't care if anyone thinks cheapie tru-glo sights are tacky, all they have to do is stay put and be adjustable for me to be happy.

I have yet to switch the peep sight out, along with the tubing. I don't own a press, so I'll take it over to Dick's tomorrow and see about getting them to switch it quickly for me.

OK... here's where I need to be sure abot a few things.
    If you can slap a link to some other info, it would be apreciated as well as personal experience.
    I want to make sure things are square; the rest and the sight. Also, I won't be putting any string leeches on it, don't really need them anyway.

Do I NEED a stabilizer/dampener?

Do I NEED limbsaver dampeners between the bow arms?

How do I make sure the rest is square with the frame? Is eyeballing it enough?

What height should I set the peep at?

All these questions!

I'm planning a trip to either Dick's or Bass Pro tomorrow, maybe I can have this set up and sighted in by tomorrow evening!

The strings appear barely used, but I plan to replace them ASAP.

Any good info is definately appreciated!

Default Few questions

Quote Originally Posted by scott64a View Post
    Hey, Scott here.

I was a member over at Biill Shiver's old forum, but it's long gone.
    With their help, I was able to set up and learn to shoot my first bow ever, a PSE Polaris. (takes you back a little, eh?)

Well, I had been thinking about replacing that bow, it's heavy and outdated. Hell, the deer didn't seem to mind that though, haha.

I was in a pawn shop, (oh brother, another pawn shop bow,) and spotted a bow that had just come in. I pick it up, look it over, and see that it's a Hoyt ZR 100. I ask, "How much for this bow?" and the guy says, "Oh, someone offered me a hundred yesterday." so I said, "I'll give you $80 for it right now."
    He said, "It's yours."

So I get it home, and begin switching stuff from bow to bow. This will be a hunting bow, and I'm not a fan of the latest and greatest when I have someting that puts meat on the table.
    I do want it to be set up properly though.

I decreased the draw weight down to a comfortable 65# or so, someone had it maxed out and just about overtightened the torque screws. It draws nice and easy, and I marked the bolts and did them equally.

I want a whisker biscuit, like I had. Only this time, I want one that is for graphite arrows, and not aluminum, lol. Hey, it worked, but come on.
    I don't care if anyone thinks cheapie tru-glo sights are tacky, all they have to do is stay put and be adjustable for me to be happy.

I have yet to switch the peep sight out, along with the tubing. I don't own a press, so I'll take it over to Dick's tomorrow and see about getting them to switch it quickly for me.

OK... here's where I need to be sure abot a few things.
    If you can slap a link to some other info, it would be apreciated as well as personal experience.
    I want to make sure things are square; the rest and the sight. Also, I won't be putting any string leeches on it, don't really need them anyway.

Do I NEED a stabilizer/dampener?

Do I NEED limbsaver dampeners between the bow arms?

How do I make sure the rest is square with the frame? Is eyeballing it enough?

What height should I set the peep at?

All these questions!

I'm planning a trip to either Dick's or Bass Pro tomorrow, maybe I can have this set up and sighted in by tomorrow evening!

The strings appear barely used, but I plan to replace them ASAP.

Any good info is definately appreciated!
    Sabilizers. Cartel are good and affordable. Doinkers, Posten, AEP and many make a good stabilizer. Check the classifiads at Archerytalk. 30" are most comman. I suggest a side back bar on the left side of your bow to offset the sight weight on the right.

Limbsavers on the limbs do really help

Peep heigth depends on how you anchor. You have to draw the bow where your comfortable and have your pro shop tie it in there. Very inportant you get this right.

Getting arrow right usually takes a level set. You can eyeball it but sqaure ot always where you want it for best arrow flight. My suggestion is let your pro shop get you shooting a bullet hole through paper.

Good Luck
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

if you are just going to be hunting with it pick up a limbsaver s-coil. they are about 18 bucks along with the limsaver quads or bowjacks. it really does help and it quiets the bow way down. as DB said peep height and arrow alignment is really important. have your pro shop set you up right
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Thanks guys, I'll take it over to BassPro in the morning and have them set it up with me.

I really want to see this bow perform the way a Hoyt should; don't ever want to miss the buck of a lifetime over that!

Default Pro Bass

Thanks guys, I'll take it over to BassPro in the morning and have them set it up with me.

I really want to see this bow perform the way a Hoyt should; don't ever want to miss the buck of a lifetime over that!
    Do you have a Pro shop?
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

a pro shop will be much better to take it to. the bass pro by me just has a bunch of high school kids behind the counter and dont take care of there customers very well. might want to go to the pro shop.
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Hmm, well the "pro shop" i went to the last time didn't worry too much about adjusting the peep sight to my line of vison, and really all I got was a new string and a quiver from them.

They didn't seem too helpful.
    The Bass Pro shop near me has a couple good bow guys IIRC, so we'll see.

if you know they are good guys then go to them. some pro shops are good and some arent. the ones that want your business are the good ones. post up some pictures when you get it all set up
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

What model did you get (ZR 100 is the limbs)
    FBSA Member