You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Spoy shooters, advice please!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting ready buy a bow specifically for spot shooting. Right now I shoot a Hoyt 737 for 3d @ 58lbs and 27.5" draw.

The spot world will be a new adventure for me. I have played on leagues and recently just started shooting a 5 spot round every weekend. I have always shot these w/ my 3d setup.

I'm wanting to get either a Contender, contender elite, vantage pro or vantage elite.

Should I go w/ the 41" ata over the 38 1/2?
    Is the elite really that much better than the regular? If yes, Why?
    What poundage range would you get?

Also, if you have any other advice please feel free to share. I'm not a newbie. I've been shooting since 1989 but mainly 3d and hunting. I'm just wanting to really get serious w/ the spots so I can try my hand at Vegas, Iowa and Louisville. My personal best was a 300 47x and I have really never put much effort towards this.

Thanks for your input and God Bless!

Spot shooters not spoy shooters. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by ES21 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm getting ready buy a bow specifically for spot shooting. Right now I shoot a Hoyt 737 for 3d @ 58lbs and 27.5" draw.

The spot world will be a new adventure for me. I have played on leagues and recently just started shooting a 5 spot round every weekend. I have always shot these w/ my 3d setup.

I'm wanting to get either a Contender, contender elite, vantage pro or vantage elite.

Should I go w/ the 41" ata over the 38 1/2?
    Is the elite really that much better than the regular? If yes, Why?
    What poundage range would you get?

Also, if you have any other advice please feel free to share. I'm not a newbie. I've been shooting since 1989 but mainly 3d and hunting. I'm just wanting to really get serious w/ the spots so I can try my hand at Vegas, Iowa and Louisville. My personal best was a 300 47x and I have really never put much effort towards this.

Thanks for your input and God Bless!
    There some mighty fine spot shooters here. Some of the best ever. Hopefully some will give you there thoughts.

I personally think something 40" indoor. If your draw is under 28" often 38" bow is good enough and give you a good string angle. Good brace heigth. You might give info like your draw legth. Will you be shooting freestyle or Bowhunter class. Good Luck and welcome to 3dshoots.com. Several from here will be at Vegas shooting spots and indoor nationals at Louisville, Ky. this year. Hoyt makes a fine bow and you cant go wrong with them.
    DB

Here a link to some pictures from KC Pro am I took you might enjoy.

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/showt...t=KC+shoot+out
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 02-13-2010 at 09:32 AM.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

It all depends on what style you of shooting you like. Aggressive or not so aggressive. This will help you decide what style of cam you will want to shoot.

Axel to axel mainly depends on what type of string angle you like. Just like DB said once you get over the 28 in draw I would definatly look at a bow that is 38 plus. If you are under 28 in draw then anything over 39 inches will be over kill but that doesnt mean it wont shoot. I am only a 27.75 draw and I have always shot a bow that was 40.5 plus ata. This is the first time in 10 years that I will shoot 3D with a bow under that. So far the bow shoots awesome as long as I can keep a sight together.

Brace height I would recomend over 7 inches. Thats my preference. Terry Reynolds just won the Florida ASA Pro Am with a bow that has 5 inches of Brace, and is only 33 inches long. He says he shoots 30X vegas rounds with it. He must have some awesome form cause I still say you should shoot atleast a 7 inch brace height or better for most target achery. You can now days. The bows just keep getting faster and faster.

The contender or Vantage Elite is a great choice. I like the shoot through risers but that doesnt mean they are more accurate. Some claim they are but I know of a ton of records that were set with non shoot through. If you want to shoot the Conteder with xt 2000 limbs for spots Pm me and I will tell you how to get your brace Height better.
    Jame
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info friends but just a few more ???'s.

I'm shooting 58lbs w/ the cam 1/2 plus. I love this wheel and the feel. This is on my 737. My question is would you drop the poundage or would you keep it there. I'm hoping to shoot 2512 or 2612's what ever will spine out right.

I will be shooting freestyle.

My draw lenghth is 27.5. I'm leaning towards the contender elite w/ the xt 2000 limbs and the cam 1/2 plus wheel.

Thanks again for your help!

To answer your question, 58 lbs is a good weight to shoot indoor. Alot of shooters are in the 52-59 lb range. As far a the bow goes, I don't think you can go wrong with the Conteder Elite. I have not shot one with 2000 limbs but I can speak for one with 3000 limbs. I am right at 28in dl and this bow at 59lbs shoots like a dream. I have had mine for a couple weeks and so far I am shooting it better than my Pro Elite with 2000 limbs. Didn't think I would ever say that as I have always leaned towards the 38 in axle to axle. I would guess that the 2000 limb contender would shoot just fine for you though and at your dl it could also double as a 3d bow because getting speed out of it won't be an issue. My CE is shooting a 310 grn ACC at 285fps at 59lbs and 28dl with 3000 limbs. Hope this helps you make a good decision, you can't go wrong either way IMHO.

mrpibb, jame and daniel boone, thanks for your time and info.

You have me leaning towards the contender elite version. Just can't decide on what axle to axle. 38" or the 41".

Thanks for the info friends but just a few more ???'s.

I'm shooting 58lbs w/ the cam 1/2 plus. I love this wheel and the feel. This is on my 737. My question is would you drop the poundage or would you keep it there. I'm hoping to shoot 2512 or 2612's what ever will spine out right.

I will be shooting freestyle.

My draw lenghth is 27.5. I'm leaning towards the contender elite w/ the xt 2000 limbs and the cam 1/2 plus wheel.

Thanks again for your help!
    With a 27.5" draw you could easily shoot the 38" bow but might find the longer bow a more stable platform for indoors. As for poundage you must consider the venue, it makes no difference how fast your arrow gets to the target, but you must be as fresh on the 60th shot as you were on the first. Many of the top shooters use 50 lbs or less for indoors and in fact Reo Wilde has been known to shoot 39 lbs... It isn't a game of macho but rather a game of precision in which perfect will usually only get you into the shoot down. The major considerations will be mass weight and balance of the bow… can you easily hold the bow level for fifteen to thirty seconds three to five times in four minutes or less. And will the bow sit reasonably still while executing the shot..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    With a 27.5" draw you could easily shoot the 38" bow but might find the longer bow a more stable platform for indoors. As for poundage you must consider the venue, it makes no difference how fast your arrow gets to the target, but you must be as fresh on the 60th shot as you were on the first. Many of the top shooters use 50 lbs or less for indoors and in fact Reo Wilde has been known to shoot 39 lbs... It isn't a game of macho but rather a game of precision in which perfect will usually only get you into the shoot down. The major considerations will be mass weight and balance of the bow… can you easily hold the bow level for fifteen to thirty seconds three to five times in four minutes or less. And will the bow sit reasonably still while executing the shot..
    You make a great point about being fresh on the last shot and I was always told the longer bow would be more stable. I have always shot a 36" to 38" ata bow and was wondering if it would benefit me more staying in that range. String angle being the main concern. Should I be to concerned with the string angle or just go all out with the longer ata?

You make a great point about being fresh on the last shot and I was always told the longer bow would be more stable. I have always shot a 36" to 38" ata bow and was wondering if it would benefit me more staying in that range. String angle being the main concern. Should I be to concerned with the string angle or just go all out with the longer ata?
    See pm
    Mike "Javi" Cooper