You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member TMax27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairland, OK
    Posts
    778

    Default Indoor Feathers- RH or LH

    Indoors folks normally use big honkin 5" feathers. However, I've seen that someRIGHT hand shooters use RIGHT HELICAL and some use LEFT HELICAL.

    Why would a shooter choose one over the other?
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

  2. #2
    Senior Member Daniel Boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,934

    Default Really

    Quote Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
    Indoors folks normally use big honkin 5" feathers. However, I've seen that someRIGHT hand shooters use RIGHT HELICAL and some use LEFT HELICAL.

    Why would a shooter choose one over the other?
    Dont think its really matters. You will see everthing possiable in fletchings for indoor.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

  3. #3
    I love this stuff rodney482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    660

    Default

    That only applies to shooting off the shelf of a stick bow.



    If you use a bitz makes sure you get the right clamp, they sell LH and RH clamps for LH and RH feathers.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TMax27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairland, OK
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rodney482 View Post
    That only applies to shooting off the shelf of a stick bow.



    If you use a bitz makes sure you get the right clamp, they sell LH and RH clamps for LH and RH feathers.

    Rodney,
    This weekend I saw compound shooters w/ drop aways and blade rests shooting LH and RH feathers. These were right handed shooters.
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

  5. #5
    I love this stuff rodney482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
    Rodney,
    This weekend I saw compound shooters w/ drop aways and blade rests shooting LH and RH feathers. These were right handed shooters.
    Yes I am sure you did,,,but shooting them out of a drop away or blade rest has no impact on LH and RH feathers.

    I shoot LH feathers on my XXX GT with a Limbdrvier and they shoot really well.

    but I could just as easily shoot RH feathers

  6. #6
    Senior Member TMax27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairland, OK
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rodney482 View Post
    Yes I am sure you did,,,but shooting them out of a drop away or blade rest has no impact on LH and RH feathers.

    I shoot LH feathers on my XXX GT with a Limbdrvier and they shoot really well.

    but I could just as easily shoot RH feathers
    OK. I see what you are saying now. Earlier I was still half asleep
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

  7. #7
    Senior Member J.A.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    i was at a seminar recently where a local shop tech told the audience that in his opinion when shooting righthanded, you should use left helical fletching.

    When using right helical - when the arrow releases from the string it is naturally rotating away from the riser, then corrects itself and straightens up. If you use LEFT, then in doesnt veer away from the riser, stays straight in its correct path, therefore hits the spot with more accuracy.

    He did not mention if feathers or vanes were preferred for this.

    What do you think about this? I was thinking, No Way! But I have never tried it. would like to know if anyone else has heard of this?
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

  8. #8
    Senior Member Daniel Boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,934

    Default This is very comman

    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G. View Post
    i was at a seminar recently where a local shop tech told the audience that in his opinion when shooting righthanded, you should use left helical fletching.

    When using right helical - when the arrow releases from the string it is naturally rotating away from the riser, then corrects itself and straightens up. If you use LEFT, then in doesnt veer away from the riser, stays straight in its correct path, therefore hits the spot with more accuracy.

    He did not mention if feathers or vanes were preferred for this.

    What do you think about this? I was thinking, No Way! But I have never tried it. would like to know if anyone else has heard of this?
    You are correct here. But sense the drop aways have been introduced it really doesnt matter if tuned properly. Spring steel rest your tech may be right. Lets see what the old man Xquest thinks!
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

  9. #9
    Senior Member TMax27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairland, OK
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Good discussion, lets keep this going. Never too soon to start planning for next year's indoor season. Tonight the XXL recieves the 3D swap.
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

  10. #10
    Senior Member JAVI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Shot em both ways off my ProTuner... can't tell no difference.. but I got a heck of a deal on a big bag of left wing feathers and so I used em..

    Only reason to choose one over the other would be screw in points and I don't use 'em for target arrows..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

  11. #11
    Senior Member J.A.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    You are correct here. But sense the drop aways have been introduced it really doesnt matter if tuned properly. Spring steel rest your tech may be right. Lets see what the old man Xquest thinks!
    DB
    He was telling us this while showing us how to put on a drop away rest. and mentioned a slow-mo video.. This was the first time I'd heard such a thing.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

  12. #12
    Senior Member Daniel Boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,934

    Default Jag

    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G. View Post
    He was telling us this while showing us how to put on a drop away rest. and mentioned a slow-mo video.. This was the first time I'd heard such a thing.
    Honestly if your tuned right your arrow should go straight down the blade or fall away. Thats what slo motion shows me from all I have seen. Finger shooters arrows never go straight down and this may be a consideration for them.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

  13. #13
    Senior Member JAVI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Honestly if your tuned right your arrow should go straight down the blade or fall away. Thats what slo motion shows me from all I have seen. Finger shooters arrows never go straight down and this may be a consideration for them.
    DB
    I have a ton of HS video and I've never seen the arrow rotating until after it departs the bow.

    They have to be talking about archers parodox and it's effect but fletching got nothing to do with that..

    got to quit posting from my Iphone..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

  14. #14
    Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    38134
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G. View Post
    When using right helical - when the arrow releases from the string it is naturally rotating away from the riser, then corrects itself and straightens up. If you use LEFT, then in doesnt veer away from the riser, stays straight in its correct path, therefore hits the spot with more accuracy.
    I've heard that resoning before, and it was the primary reason I shot LW feahters.. and I used to shoot a stick-bow off my thumb.
    Since 1980'something, I've reviewed lots of high speed video and have come to the conclusion that it makes ZERO difference, since the arrow does not begin to rotate until well after it has left the bow... even with 5" natural fethers in helical or kurlyvanes or spinwings... they are 5 feet gone before they start to rotate.

    Now if you have ever gotten a quill jammed into the base of the back of your thumb, you KNOW why a RH shooter shouold shoot LW feahters... if you are shooting a longbow off your thumb and not wearing a leather glove.

    I still fletch everything LW because I have mostly all LW clamps, and the LW feathers used to be chaeper.
    Last edited by SandSquid; 02-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.
    SandSquid

    Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

  15. #15
    Senior Member TMax27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairland, OK
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
    I still fletch everything LW because I have mostly all LW clamps, and the LW feathers used to be chaeper.

    Are you meaning you fletch everything LEFT HELICAL w/ LEFT WING feathers because you have LEFT HELICAL clamps?



    For a little clarification:

    (looking from the nock end)

    _I = RIGHT WING FEATHER

    I_ = LEFT WING FEATHER

    correct???
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

  16. #16
    Senior Member J.A.G.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    good topic, good discussion
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

  17. #17
    Uncle Sam's Canoe Club SandSquid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    38134
    Posts
    885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
    Are you meaning you fletch everything LEFT HELICAL w/ LEFT WING feathers because you have LEFT HELICAL clamps?

    Correct.
    I do own a single Right Helical clamp, but I couldn't even tell you where it was right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SandSquid

    Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
    Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.

  18. #18
    Senior Member XQuest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    185

    Default Nowadays Left or Right optional

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    You are correct here. But sense the drop aways have been introduced it really doesnt matter if tuned properly. Spring steel rest your tech may be right. Lets see what the old man Xquest thinks!
    DB
    Many years ago when we shot fingers and bare bows there were clearance and centershot problems that required L/H to shoot left wing and R/H to shoot right wing strickly for clearance.Nowadays with the tech on the bows there is no problem and no reason to be concerned.....shoot what you want and what you are happy with.

Similar Threads

  1. Gateway Feathers F/s
    By wibowhunter1 in forum Arrows, Vanes, broadheads and arrow building components
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
  2. feathers or vanes?
    By madmike1735 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
  3. wet feathers,
    By Mathews Man in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 09:21 PM
  4. Feathers
    By kbohunt in forum WTB: Want to Buy Archery Items
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 09:45 PM
  5. Vanes vs. Feathers
    By runningbear15 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 09:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •