You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default PA Spring Bowhunters Festival

Anyone going to this shoot? Haven't been in a few years and was wondering if anything has changed.

http://bigbuckarchers.org/bowhuntersfestival.aspx

Not a lot has changed. I'm with one of the clubs that put this event on. It's still a ton of planning and a ton of work. We did lose some ground a couple years ago so had to cut down on one course. What we did was put in easier stakes on the Hammer Course so you can shoot it hard or harder---LOL.

If I have the dates right it's Apr. 10th and 11th this year. Attendance has dropped off some the last couple years, as it seems to have for almost all 3D event these days. This doesn't help the Boy Scouts or our clubs, but at least it's not as crowded for those that shoot.

We're kind of discussing how longer we can keep doing this. For one thing the guys doing the work are getting older, and for those who have set 3D courses, try doing 100 plus targets in some very steep terrain where we have to hand carry the targets in. Average age of us guys is about 52.

Then there's the cost of targets. These things go up about 15% a year on average. The last couple years we've had to spend nearly $20,000 each year just for the targets. Sure, we auction them off after, but this is getting tougher. Where can you go and get Mckenzies with less than a thousand shots in them for 30% the cost of a new one.

But then I guess we're like the Eveready bunny. We've talked about quitting for 3 years or so, but we just keep going and going and going.....

I would like to add that there was some timbering and a new parking lot built so we aren't so reliant on that muddy field we had to rent from the greedy farmer. There is also a new and better rest room facility built just two years ago.
    Last edited by bfisher; 03-01-2010 at 06:23 PM.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

You guys do a great job. I'll be back. Always enjoyed shooting the course and if the weather holds I'll be camping on site.

Quote Originally Posted by bald1 View Post
    You guys do a great job. I'll be back. Always enjoyed shooting the course and if the weather holds I'll be camping on site.
    Thanks for the kind words. We try. Actually, we start planning next year's shoot on the Saturday presently being shot. What I mean is, that all the planning and stuff goes on for a year.

If you've ever set up a course you can imagine how much work this thing is, what with our ages and the terrain we're dealing with. Still, it's one of those things most of us look forward to for many months. But we're sure glad when it's over with.

I'm a member of Big Buck Archers, one of the hosting clubs. We're not a large club, having right at 100 members, give or take a couple. We are blessed to have a fairly dedicated bunch and can usually expect about 35-40 members to help with all the work. Some set up, some tear down. Others monitor courses. Some do it all and are there all weekend (3 days). Most of us drive about 40-50 miles each day each way with no compensation except the kind words of many who attend. For this we are always greatful.

Hope to see you there, and anybody else that makes it.

There's more detail on our website at www.bigbuckarchers.org
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I haven't been there in a few years but have been there a couple times. Hope to make it this year. Good shoot. I encourage everyone to check it out.