You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Mental Game

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Now there a class for your slider/vanes in ASA. ASA where you seperate the men from the boys. Super Seniors would give you all you want there. Rules are made and we all must follow them at each ASA. Im also old enough to know you give respect due where its due. Guys like Lanny Bassham who have won on the world class level deserve respect. I also know they have somthing that I want. Nothing has helped my scores more than Lanny Tapes giving me a mental game. Your right you dont need it.
    One must first be willing to learn before it would ever help him. Guys like Xquest here and others who have won on the world class level got there mental game down 100% and your right dont need it.
    DB
    DB
    I have the utmost respect for these archers, as I do other professional athletes, and individuals that excell in other forms of sport/science/etc.
    I've read all of Larry Wise's books and found nothing "mental" that would assist me.
    When I met Fred Bear once in the '70's, I asked him how he aimed at stationary and moving targets, and he said, "just a LOT of practice."
    Now, you shoot a stick bow with a rainbow trajectory and can hit CONSISTENTLY out to 40 yards, stationary or moving, and that's the kind of guy I'm gonna take advice from.
    And Mike too...because I KNOW he's not a BS'er...

  2. #22
    Senior Member JAVI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    I have the utmost respect for these archers, as I do other professional athletes, and individuals that excell in other forms of sport/science/etc.
    I've read all of Larry Wise's books and found nothing "mental" that would assist me.
    When I met Fred Bear once in the '70's, I asked him how he aimed at stationary and moving targets, and he said, "just a LOT of practice."
    Now, you shoot a stick bow with a rainbow trajectory and can hit CONSISTENTLY out to 40 yards, stationary or moving, and that's the kind of guy I'm gonna take advice from.
    And Mike too...because I KNOW he's not a BS'er...
    Heck Tom, by now you know I've got more BS than a Christmas turkey...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Heck Tom, by now you know I've got more BS than a Christmas turkey...
    Now I KNOW there's an HEB in Waco with extra Metamucil...

  4. #24
    Senior Member Daniel Boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,934

    Default Fred Bear

    Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    I have the utmost respect for these archers, as I do other professional athletes, and individuals that excell in other forms of sport/science/etc.
    I've read all of Larry Wise's books and found nothing "mental" that would assist me.
    When I met Fred Bear once in the '70's, I asked him how he aimed at stationary and moving targets, and he said, "just a LOT of practice."
    Now, you shoot a stick bow with a rainbow trajectory and can hit CONSISTENTLY out to 40 yards, stationary or moving, and that's the kind of guy I'm gonna take advice from.
    And Mike too...because I KNOW he's not a BS'er...
    Fred Bear had a mental game and achieved it because he practiced quite a bit. Lanny talks about practice and how it becomes almost natural to aim without thinking about it. I have talked with Fred Bear and actually started shooting archery because of him. Whether its hunting or shooting tournaments. Most have some sort of mental preperation whether its shooting tons of arrow where it becomes so normal. Hunting I have mental prepare myself to aim at the lower two thirds and pick a spot on the game. I may sit in the tree for hours consider what to do if the shot comes and walk myself through it. Any shooting sport you got to use a mental side of the shot.

    So TomT bring your bow and come shoot Paris. Have fun and show us your mental game. We got a class for everyone there. Heck dont think the super seniors shoot more than 40yrds any way, how hard can it be. And yes Mike knows his stuff.
    DB

    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Elgin, Texas
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Fred Bear had a mental game and achieved it because he practiced quite a bit. Lanny talks about practice and how it becomes almost natural to aim without thinking about it. I have talked with Fred Bear and actually started shooting archery because of him. Whether its hunting or shooting tournaments. Most have some sort of mental preperation whether its shooting tons of arrow where it becomes so normal. Hunting I have mental prepare myself to aim at the lower two thirds and pick a spot on the game. I may sit in the tree for hours consider what to do if the shot comes and walk myself through it. Any shooting sport you got to use a mental side of the shot.

    So TomT bring your bow and come shoot Paris. Have fun and show us your mental game. We got a class for everyone there. Heck dont think the super seniors shoot more than 40yrds any way, how hard can it be. And yes Mike knows his stuff.
    DB

    DB
    Hell, I ain't like ya'll idle rich pros, I gotta work. I just take time out occasionally to stick a small paper plate at 70 yards with my old Ovulation with no bars and no surf rod hangin' off the front...

  6. #26
    Senior Member Daniel Boone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,934

    Default Pros

    Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    Hell, I ain't like ya'll idle rich pros, I gotta work. I just take time out occasionally to stick a small paper plate at 70 yards with my old Ovulation with no bars and no surf rod hangin' off the front...
    Who a Pro? Im with the Joes this year and Im a Po Boy and this is in your back Yard. Nothing wrong with the Ovation. Its all good fun and games and good friends. Hopefully next year. I look forward to meeting you and sharing a few arrows on the range.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

  7. #27

    Default

    I've got the With Winning in Mind and the other Mental Mangament for the shooting Sports CD sets. They are very helpful. I'm a decent archer, no Pro by any means. I found the tapes help me keep it together when I dig myself a little pit when I go on a string of 8's or come up with a bad shot here and there. I found I can pull myself together and come back strong.
    They do help get your perspective right and mind working differently.

    I'd sell or trade these CD sets if anyone is interested.
    In a better world, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would be the name of a convenience store and not the name of a govenment agency.

Similar Threads

  1. Mental Hospital hot line
    By TEN RING in forum Jokes Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
  2. Huge mental dilemma, kinda long, ok more than kinda
    By Southernfryedyankee in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 08:43 AM
  3. game
    By hduc2005 in forum Jokes Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 09:14 PM
  4. Mental Midget!
    By Radar in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-30-2006, 11:58 PM
  5. Shooting 300's is mental
    By glenny in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •