You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mental Game

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Now there a class for your slider/vanes in ASA. ASA where you seperate the men from the boys. Super Seniors would give you all you want there. Rules are made and we all must follow them at each ASA. Im also old enough to know you give respect due where its due. Guys like Lanny Bassham who have won on the world class level deserve respect. I also know they have somthing that I want. Nothing has helped my scores more than Lanny Tapes giving me a mental game. Your right you dont need it.
    One must first be willing to learn before it would ever help him. Guys like Xquest here and others who have won on the world class level got there mental game down 100% and your right dont need it.
    DB
    DB
    I have the utmost respect for these archers, as I do other professional athletes, and individuals that excell in other forms of sport/science/etc.
    I've read all of Larry Wise's books and found nothing "mental" that would assist me.
    When I met Fred Bear once in the '70's, I asked him how he aimed at stationary and moving targets, and he said, "just a LOT of practice."
    Now, you shoot a stick bow with a rainbow trajectory and can hit CONSISTENTLY out to 40 yards, stationary or moving, and that's the kind of guy I'm gonna take advice from.
    And Mike too...because I KNOW he's not a BS'er...

Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    I have the utmost respect for these archers, as I do other professional athletes, and individuals that excell in other forms of sport/science/etc.
    I've read all of Larry Wise's books and found nothing "mental" that would assist me.
    When I met Fred Bear once in the '70's, I asked him how he aimed at stationary and moving targets, and he said, "just a LOT of practice."
    Now, you shoot a stick bow with a rainbow trajectory and can hit CONSISTENTLY out to 40 yards, stationary or moving, and that's the kind of guy I'm gonna take advice from.
    Heck Tom, by now you know I've got more BS than a Christmas turkey...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Heck Tom, by now you know I've got more BS than a Christmas turkey...
    Now I KNOW there's an HEB in Waco with extra Metamucil...

Default Fred Bear

Fred Bear had a mental game and achieved it because he practiced quite a bit. Lanny talks about practice and how it becomes almost natural to aim without thinking about it. I have talked with Fred Bear and actually started shooting archery because of him. Whether its hunting or shooting tournaments. Most have some sort of mental preperation whether its shooting tons of arrow where it becomes so normal. Hunting I have mental prepare myself to aim at the lower two thirds and pick a spot on the game. I may sit in the tree for hours consider what to do if the shot comes and walk myself through it. Any shooting sport you got to use a mental side of the shot.

So TomT bring your bow and come shoot Paris. Have fun and show us your mental game. We got a class for everyone there. Heck dont think the super seniors shoot more than 40yrds any way, how hard can it be. And yes Mike knows his stuff.
    DB

DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Fred Bear had a mental game and achieved it because he practiced quite a bit. Lanny talks about practice and how it becomes almost natural to aim without thinking about it. I have talked with Fred Bear and actually started shooting archery because of him. Whether its hunting or shooting tournaments. Most have some sort of mental preperation whether its shooting tons of arrow where it becomes so normal. Hunting I have mental prepare myself to aim at the lower two thirds and pick a spot on the game. I may sit in the tree for hours consider what to do if the shot comes and walk myself through it. Any shooting sport you got to use a mental side of the shot.

So TomT bring your bow and come shoot Paris. Have fun and show us your mental game. We got a class for everyone there. Heck dont think the super seniors shoot more than 40yrds any way, how hard can it be. And yes Mike knows his stuff.
    DB

DB
    Hell, I ain't like ya'll idle rich pros, I gotta work. I just take time out occasionally to stick a small paper plate at 70 yards with my old Ovulation with no bars and no surf rod hangin' off the front...

Default Pros

Hell, I ain't like ya'll idle rich pros, I gotta work. I just take time out occasionally to stick a small paper plate at 70 yards with my old Ovulation with no bars and no surf rod hangin' off the front...
    Who a Pro? Im with the Joes this year and Im a Po Boy and this is in your back Yard. Nothing wrong with the Ovation. Its all good fun and games and good friends. Hopefully next year. I look forward to meeting you and sharing a few arrows on the range.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I've got the With Winning in Mind and the other Mental Mangament for the shooting Sports CD sets. They are very helpful. I'm a decent archer, no Pro by any means. I found the tapes help me keep it together when I dig myself a little pit when I go on a string of 8's or come up with a bad shot here and there. I found I can pull myself together and come back strong.
    They do help get your perspective right and mind working differently.

I'd sell or trade these CD sets if anyone is interested.
    In a better world, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms would be the name of a convenience store and not the name of a govenment agency.