You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default How straight does an arrow need to be?

Has anyone done any hooter shooter analysis of a 0.001" shaft compared to a 0.005" shaft to see how much the group size varies?

Maybe if you are a pro you may be able to see some difference.

But for us run of the mill archers, as example I also shoot trad recurve bow with wood shafts that may be -+ .0015 compared to a low priced alum or carbon that is -+ .0006 I could not see a difference.

If you are going to shoot FITA or up to 90 meters then maybe you would do better with a special carbon arrow that is very low weight and also is
    +-.0002 .

With my compond bow the hunter shaft at +- .0006 and have guys come in and want to special order +- .0002 carbon shafts and then when they shoot I say try my arrows an d you can not see any difference in group size. Not any difference...carbon I feel are better as they keep the same +- as when Mfg, not like alum that over time gets bent.

I think you are correct. I just want to see it verified on a hooter shooter. I have seen post about hooter shooters showing that in a pack of 12 arrows that maybe 2 would not hit with the others even after tuning. So if a hooter shooter can find inconsistent arrows maybe it can tell if there is a difference in the straightness of arrows.

If arrows with too stiff spines are shooting good out of bows then maybe the little extra bend in the shaft wont matter either.

Default Arrows

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    I think you are correct. I just want to see it verified on a hooter shooter. I have seen post about hooter shooters showing that in a pack of 12 arrows that maybe 2 would not hit with the others even after tuning. So if a hooter shooter can find inconsistent arrows maybe it can tell if there is a difference in the straightness of arrows.

If arrows with too stiff spines are shooting good out of bows then maybe the little extra bend in the shaft wont matter either.
    Very little difference. Most would never notice it.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Unless you a 300 55x or above shooter, I don't think you will notice any difference between a .001 or .006 straightness. However, in carbon straightness is not the major factor in my opinion. Spine consistency is the most important. Really cheap shafts have terrible spine consistency.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies