You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: release help

Default release help

I have recently changed from a wrist strap to a t handle.
    I am using the boss x. I really like it, just had it a few days, I feel like this will improve my shooting in the long run..but here is my situation:
    I draw back (with my thumb touching the nail on my middle finger), found a comfortable anchor, pin on the target, feeling good at full draw...but I have some problems transitioning my thumb to the trigger.
    This might just be a matter of developing muscle memory in that it is a new movement.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I even making sense?

Default Few thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    I have recently changed from a wrist strap to a t handle.
    I am using the boss x. I really like it, just had it a few days, I feel like this will improve my shooting in the long run..but here is my situation:
    I draw back (with my thumb touching the nail on my middle finger), found a comfortable anchor, pin on the target, feeling good at full draw...but I have some problems transitioning my thumb to the trigger.
    This might just be a matter of developing muscle memory in that it is a new movement.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? Am I even making sense?
    Most thumb trigger releases like the Carters and Tru Balls. You should not be hitting the trigger on thumb. I set my thumb there but pull on the fingers and not the thumb to set the release off. If I was to hit my thumb trigger with my thumb, I get a high shot. There designed to be shot like BT release.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Most thumb trigger releases like the Carters and Tru Balls. You should not be hitting the trigger on thumb. I set my thumb there but pull on the fingers and not the thumb to set the release off. If I was to hit my thumb trigger with my thumb, I get a high shot. There designed to be shot like BT release.
    DB
    I appreciate the response...but I guess I was not being clear.
    My goal is to wrap my thumb around the barrel and use it as back tension. But my problem is anxiety as I move my thumb into position; due to fear of accidently setting it off before I want to, I consciously set it off

I am certain this is a form of target panic, it is like a tic. What I decided on doing is increasing the weight of the trigger. If this doesn't work and relax me...I am going to try a sweet shot II.

But I am still open to suggestions...
    BTW... I really do appreciate your help...I have posted questions from time to time...and I find you are often involved in offering ideas.

Start by setting your trigger weight as high as possible.

1. When drawing, just keep your thumb off the trigger, don't worry where it is otherwise.
    2. Draw the bow, lightly place your thumb around the trigger, and anchor in.
    3. Once you are settled, pre-load the trigger with a pound or so of pressure (this is why you want a heavy trigger).
    4. Once you are preloaded, begin your shooting routine - pull your elbow directly away from the target and allow your hand to yield the pull, causing your thumb to slide back until the release goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by hoggin03 View Post
    Start by setting your trigger weight as high as possible.

1. When drawing, just keep your thumb off the trigger, don't worry where it is otherwise.
    2. Draw the bow, lightly place your thumb around the trigger, and anchor in.
    3. Once you are settled, pre-load the trigger with a pound or so of pressure (this is why you want a heavy trigger).
    4. Once you are preloaded, begin your shooting routine - pull your elbow directly away from the target and allow your hand to yield the pull, causing your thumb to slide back until the release goes off.
    That is my exact goal...I really appreciate all the help.
    My only question is in step 2...I tend to anchor before I place my thumb on the trigger...I know this is a little backward...but how bad a habit is it?

Maybe with a heavier setting I would feel more comfortable either way.

I got to check out the Boss X at the Vegas shoot, very nice. I shoot a Chappy Boss myself. I had a bad habit of punching and went to the Back Tension release. Heres a unit I made up so I could get used to it without actually drawing my bow. Worked great for me. just a bit of arrow with a loop on it. I bought the Chappy Boss used and it had the diamond knob and was mounted in the high position "opposite" of where I have it now. I shoot it like stated above^^^, my thumb just touches the thumb bar, the release is all back tension. It sure cured me of punching and tightened my groups alot. Hope this helps.

release help - General Archery Forum
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

Quote Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
    I got to check out the Boss X at the Vegas shoot, very nice. I shoot a Chappy Boss myself. I had a bad habit of punching and went to the Back Tension release. Heres a unit I made up so I could get used to it without actually drawing my bow. Worked great for me. just a bit of arrow with a loop on it. I bought the Chappy Boss used and it had the diamond knob and was mounted in the high position "opposite" of where I have it now. I shoot it like stated above^^^, my thumb just touches the thumb bar, the release is all back tension. It sure cured me of punching and tightened my groups alot. Hope this helps.

release help - General Archery Forum
    This does help... I love the idea. I have been practicing with my daughters hair ties (not in her head at the time...)
    My trigger is set in the position that you have yours in the pic.
    My goal has been to rest the middle of my thumb (not the tip, but the middle segment) on the trigger, while my thumb tip touched the nail of my index finger...does that sound about right?

BTW, thanks all for the help...sorry for all the questions...just do not want to pick up any bad habits almost all I know locally shoot index finger (most hunters)...plus I am a little slow in the uptake

I shoot mine with the knob just behind the bend in my thumb and the thumbnail behind the finger next to the thumb "whatever that digit is called" Sounds like what your talking about. Anyhow glad i could help and feel free to ask for help, this place has alot of knowledge and has helped me out.
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

i shoot a carter insatiable and what i have learned is to put the trigger close to the knuckle on your thumb and put the tip of your thumb in front of the trigger on the release. if i had a camera i would show you.
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Default Videos

Quote Originally Posted by alaz View Post
    I appreciate the response...but I guess I was not being clear.
    My goal is to wrap my thumb around the barrel and use it as back tension. But my problem is anxiety as I move my thumb into position; due to fear of accidently setting it off before I want to, I consciously set it off

I am certain this is a form of target panic, it is like a tic. What I decided on doing is increasing the weight of the trigger. If this doesn't work and relax me...I am going to try a sweet shot II.

But I am still open to suggestions...
    BTW... I really do appreciate your help...I have posted questions from time to time...and I find you are often involved in offering ideas.
    At my Photo bucket account here you can watch several archers in videos. Even got on of Gamoboy shooting. One can learn alot watching these guys. Ill get some at Paris in the next few days. Bobby Ketcher in the video below. Good pro for a long time.
    http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=600570-1.flv
    Last edited by Daniel Boone; 03-23-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default Gamoboy

Mike caught on to this type of release pretty qiuck.

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z...icture1412.flv

In my opinion, there is no better lesson than from George Ryals (GRIV). Here's a link to his site where there is a sample of his DVD that happens to cover drawing, anchoring, activating the release, etc.

http://www.grivtech.com/

Great videos!
    thanks.
    Definately helps.

I have to add, if it surprises you that's a good thing.
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss

I have been practising on a shoe lace after seeing this videos...using different hand positions...
    really helpful...

My last question...for now...
    I know it is a personal feel, but 3 fingers or 4?

I started off thinking 4...but the more I do it, the more I am thinking 3 (I own a 4...but have been taking my pinky off lately...
    thanks again!

the insatiable i have is a 4 finger and it is swept back so i can not shoot 3 fingers on it. i have shot a 3 finger back tension but not enough to tell if i liked 3 or 4 fingers
    GT500 27.5/65= 284
    GT XT Hunter 7595
    Slick Trick 100gr Mags
    CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
    Trophy Taker Pronghorn