You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Turkey Hunter shot (Happens ever year)

Print Email Font Resize
    Hunter killed in opening day accident
    By JULIE ZEEB -DN Staff Writer
    Updated: 03/30/2010 09:08:19 AM PDT

PAYNES CREEK An early Saturday morning hunting accident in the Paynes Creek area claimed the life of 54-yearold Vacaville resident Larry Gene Pendley.

Tehama County Sheriff's Deputies and Department of Fish and Game Wardens were sent at 8:31 a.m. to the area of Little Giant Mill Road, near Road 80B, for a hunting related shooting incident.

Five friends, four of whom had been hunting together for 30 years, were turkey hunting, with Pendley being the latest addition to the group. Pendley had hunted with the men for 10 years, Sheriff Clay Parker said.

During an investigation it was learned that Pendley had accidentally been shot by 50-yearold Stephen Henderson, a member of the hunting party, a sheriff's department release said.

Turkey season opened Saturday and everyone was in camouflage.

The group started out together before breaking up to stalk the birds, Parker said.

"The victim got down on his hands and knees and was crawling through brush," Parker said.

"His friend was about 30 yards away and saw movement. He thought it was a tom and hit the victim."

Parker said Pendley, who was pronounced dead at the scene, was hit in the upper chest and head with a twelve gauge shotgun.

The official cause of death is pending the results of an autopsy, which should be completed within a few days, Parker said. The case is still under investigation.

Just wanted to say it came close to happening to me. Hunter was stalking to my sound and did come over a rise with gun raised ready to shoot. Everyone diffiantly beaware it happens. Good luck and be safe.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Problem is why in the hell you shooting at something that you clearly have not Identified. Sad deal.... but you gotta know what ya aiming at....

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
    Problem is why in the hell you shooting at something that you clearly have not Identified. Sad deal.... but you gotta know what ya aiming at....
    Mike you seen enough hunters get excited while filming and understand the rush. Still no excuse but often we never know who in the area hunting.

I remember the guy who shot his own son. He had been drinking that day and told his son to stay put. He was trespassing as well. Just a real tragedy.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Problem is why in the hell you shooting at something that you clearly have not Identified.
    That is the problem; I don't understand how you can shoot at something you haven't ID either. That was extremely negligent, I believe he should be charged; perhaps that would get people's attention.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Old Archer

Unhappy Piss Poor Hunter Safety!

Could have been a small Deer, child or anything! He should have clearly identified a legal target before squeezing off the trigger. Also a good idea to understand whats behing your intended target. If in doubt don't shoot, sorry for his family. Accidents like this hurt the hunting community.
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Devine Shot View Post
    I agree 100%,how this happens year after year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!crazy.
    2010 PSE AXE 7

jim

Agreed, accidents like this happen each year for the reason's mentioned above. The one who shot Mr. Pendley will never get over it even if he isn't charged with anything. My prayers go out for Mr. Pendley's family as well as the rest of the group.

And I ask the same question.... every year.

What kind of water head, could mistake a man(human)...crawling, doing jumping jacks or climbing a tree, for a turkey, deer, moose or anything else for that matter?

Sorry, but I fail to see these as accidents.... negligence, definitely.

I had a friend who got shot during turkey season. Another man was sneaking in on his calling. And when my friend went to stand up to get his attention, and WAM, he took quite a few pellets in the upper body.

I also got shot a year and a half ago while I was pheasant hunting. I still have some bb's in the face that don't look like they are coming out.

I can tell you from personal experience that sometimes accidents happen. Could have both of these incidents have been prevented? Yes, but it was a freak accident when I got shot. I had moved up to the end of the tree line quicker then my hunting partner thought and there was some brush between me and him when a bird flew up between us. Before I knew it, I was on my knees asking myself, did I just get shot?

Sometimes the accidents are foolish, stupid mistakes and sometimes they are just that, accidents. As long as we are all safe and doing what is safe hopefully these accidents will happen less often.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor