You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Glued in nib

Default Glued in nib

If I wanted to experiment with nib weight and I have arrows which have the nibs glued in with gold tip epoxy am I out of luck. These arrows are xxx and have 150 grain tips so they are probably very good for spots. I might want to go to a lighter tip for 3d if possible. If I can't go to a lighter tip then I will have to be dead on with my yardage estimation. In my class I only have to shoot out to 30 yards so maybe I can just nail the yardage.

heat the nib only and you can get them out even though they have been glued with gold tip glue.

Great. I am guessing that you have to go slow and heat a little and then see if the nib will move. If it does not move apply just a little more heat and try again and repeat until you can get it to break loose.

Get a long rod that will fit inside the shaft... and thump the back of the insert with it.. I use an old rifle cleaning rod..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Will the long rod break the nib loose without having to use any heat?

I still haven't gotten the torch out to see if I can remove the nibs. I tried to gently remove the pin nock bushing and it does not want to move with gentle persuasion so I am thinking that it is epoxied in also. So now I really need some expert strategy on how to disassemble these arrows. I need a step by step procedure of how to get the arrow apart. It was assembled using the Gold Tip glue. Is this a question that should be run by gold tip or does someone have a tried and true procedure that wont let me down?

I apologize if I have offended anyone by not just trying some of the above suggestions but I really want to know that I understand what is going to be required for me to get these arrows apart.

I had some 90 gr nibs put in some xcutters with goldtip glue, heated the nibs with a torch being careful to only heat the tip of nib. I did this on 15 arrows and only had problems with one. I added 30 gr of weight to the nibs and glued back in with goldtip glue. Tried these for a couple weeks, then pulled them out again using same method and replaced with 110 gr nibs. never had any problem. no offense taking if doubtful of this procedure.lol

Well I feel silly now. I just heated one of the nibs a little while holding onto the carbon to tell if the carbon was getting hot. When I felt a little heating of the carbon I tried to remove the nib and it came out with no problem.

Thanks for helping me over come this giant obstacle.