You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am starting a new term "unforgiving arrow"

I have been hearing how the xxx arrows are shooting good out of low poundage bows so I had to get some and try them. After shooting them a little I was all over the place. Couldn't even buy an X. I twisted nocks and tried all the magic tricks that I knew and no love. This morning I go out to shoot and the arrows are good on elevation but are going right. I decided to experiment with my form and bring my draw elbow a little more directly in line with the arrow. Then the x was in trouble. I played around a little more and the arrows seem to be very sensitive to my form. If I am not right on the arrows let me know it.

Other arrows that I have shot did not seem to be as sensitive to my form. Has anyone else noticed this?

It looks like these arrows are going to be a great training tool that will help me perfect my form. It is sad that after shooting for 30 years I still have to work on my form.

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    I have been hearing how the xxx arrows are shooting good out of low poundage bows so I had to get some and try them. After shooting them a little I was all over the place. Couldn't even buy an X. I twisted nocks and tried all the magic tricks that I knew and no love. This morning I go out to shoot and the arrows are good on elevation but are going right. I decided to experiment with my form and bring my draw elbow a little more directly in line with the arrow. Then the x was in trouble. I played around a little more and the arrows seem to be very sensitive to my form. If I am not right on the arrows let me know it.

Other arrows that I have shot did not seem to be as sensitive to my form. Has anyone else noticed this?

It looks like these arrows are going to be a great training tool that will help me perfect my form. It is sad that after shooting for 30 years I still have to work on my form.

Yep...after the same round of this all last year, compared to the arrow I'm shooting this year.... There's a certain shaft out there I'll never shoot again.

Yes, some arrow setups are more forgiving than others, but form and shot process is a never ending work in progress...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Default Arrows

Often some arrows dont shoot as well out of different bows with certian cams. But you know I have found that if I put those arrows in a Hooter Shooter they hit the same spot ever time. Often how you got the bow tuned makes alot of difference when choosing the right arrow. Its often a trail and error for myself.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

There are multiple reasons that I'm a firm believer in matching an arrows spine to a setup, and this is one of them.

iv shot a bunch through the hooter shooter also . going to probably get beat up saying this . but in a lot of case id have to say spine has more to do with the shooters style than it does with the bow if the bows set correctly .me personally have shot arrows that people and charts say are under spined for years .

For several years I shot CXL 250's with great results. They shot like darts out of my Merlins, conquest 3, Apex, Ultra tec, Pro elite and Ultra elite.

Then I went to a handheld release and lengthened my dl out almost an inch and the 250's wouldn't shoot for crap.

I have shot the triple x's for about 5 months now but just can't get them to fly up to my expectations. I have gone to a CX 3-d select. They seem to fly much better than the XXX's with my setup.

That and I can use them for both field and 3-d. I have just never shot any all-carbon arrows that were as consistent as the Carbon Express lines.

The XXX's are now joining the fatboys, 30X pros, Beemans, Victory and the other 200+ arrows in a 5-gallon bucket in the closet.

Maybe I'll try them again later out of a different bow. I had to shoot my VE at 64 lbs to get the XXX's to 280, I sure am liking shooting 55 lbs and getting 285 fps now!

If anyone is curious I was getting 308 fps out of the VE at 64 lbs with the 345 grain 3-d select.

It seems like this is coming back to the question JAVI asked a while back:

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29530

Do you fit the equipment to the shooter or visa versa.

I have been shooting and adjusting almost all day. I am just not feeling right about how things are going and how the set up feels. I think it is time to back away from this and just think about what is going on for a while.

It is good to know that I am not the only one that has run into this situation.

Thanks for the input.

Could you mention what your
    Poundage is
    The amount of overhang your arrow has on the rest at full draw
    Arrow length
    Point weight

Thanks
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

55 pounds, 29" draw

1" overhang

Carbon shaft 27 1/2"

150 gr tip

Consistency and form may have some effect on ones results agreed but the Triple Xs are great shafts. If youíre using these for outdoor 3D I would drop your point weight down some, try a 100 grain point you can always add 10 and see if your pattern changes any.

Then focus on clean shots that break well and donít pick your steps apart mind checking all your moves this will tend to break down your shot versus focusing on a great shot and just letting it happen.
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

I did some more experimenting today. Instead of using the hybrid cam bow I took my single cam bow with a 32"ata 55 lb 29" draw and without adjusting or tuning the bow for the xxx I shot for the x. The arrow hit at 12 oclock in the 6 ring. So I aimed at 6 oclock in the blue ring and hit the 10. I shot several arrows this way and was getting very consistent results.

So now I am thinking that me and the hybrid cam bow are not getting along.

I don't want to sight my bow in for the xxx because I think the speed is slow and I would probably loose 3d points due to missing yardage estimates than I would gain by having a large shaft arrow. I am going to see if I can stick a top pin in for Dots though.

I just got back in from shooting a few more arrows and I am pretty solidly getting 29 of the 30 points on the vegas 3 spot now. So my results with the arrows is now acceptable. I will get that other point if I can just not float off the dot before the release fires.

I just got back in from shooting a few more arrows and I am pretty solidly getting 29 of the 30 points on the vegas 3 spot now. So my results with the arrows is now acceptable. I will get that other point if I can just not float off the dot before the release fires.
    There are ways to fix that...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

The xxx are pretty stiff shafts; the spine is 150. I think to get them to shoot out of your bow, they need to be cut longer and more weight on the tip. The carbon express x jammer 27 are a softer spine 295. I think they would be easier to shoot out of your 55 pound bow. I no expert that is just my opinion.
    Hoyt Bows, Shrewd sights, Carter index, Tru Ball hinge, Trophy Taker Rest, Doinker Stabilizers, Carbon Express XJ 27's, Vapor Trail Strings, Nikon Binos.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Tell us more - PLEASE

Don't wait - be more active on the shot right?!, I'm trying out your methods!
    Elite GT500
    Elite Judge
    Elite XLR
    Mathews Apex & Apex 7

Probably so but could I afford it.

I have to take my blessing where I can find them. For now just knowing that the arrows will work is a step in the right direction.

Since you guys have been helping me out, I need to give you an update on how things are progressing. Last night was our dot shoot night. I dropped 5 points and didn't win the first shoot but the next shoot I only dropped 3 points and with 9x I was the winner. We only shoot 15 arrows per shoot and use the Vegas 3 spot targets so this is not any history making score but it is the best that I have done in a while.

I tried to bare shaft tune the bow. I have been able to get the vertical tune good but the horizontal tune is not working. I am right handed and the bare shaft is hitting about 6" left of the fletched arrow at 20 yards. Moving the rest in and out only moves the impact of both arrows and the distance between the shafts does not decrease. This is probably due to the very stiff spine of the arrows.

So what is my next step to good tuning? I am thinking that it is now time to walk back tune, then to group tune, then to set my 2nd axis and 3rd axis, and then to just concentrate on shooting. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for the help.