You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    Since you guys have been helping me out, I need to give you an update on how things are progressing. Last night was our dot shoot night. I dropped 5 points and didn't win the first shoot but the next shoot I only dropped 3 points and with 9x I was the winner. We only shoot 15 arrows per shoot and use the Vegas 3 spot targets so this is not any history making score but it is the best that I have done in a while.

I tried to bare shaft tune the bow. I have been able to get the vertical tune good but the horizontal tune is not working. I am right handed and the bare shaft is hitting about 6" left of the fletched arrow at 20 yards. Moving the rest in and out only moves the impact of both arrows and the distance between the shafts does not decrease. This is probably due to the very stiff spine of the arrows.

So what is my next step to good tuning? I am thinking that it is now time to walk back tune, then to group tune, then to set my 2nd axis and 3rd axis, and then to just concentrate on shooting. Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks for the help.
    Sight axis must be set before tuning..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Jim,

I had the same problem with the 27's and finally realized that my top cam was leaning pretty bad. A little twisting up of one leg of the buss cable and the bare shaft immediately started grouping with the fletched.

Obviously, your problem may be something else, but it's one thing to check.

Allen

Thanks for the idea about cam lean. The cam is straight at brace but I have not checked it at full draw. Which side would I need to twist to help correct the horizontal tune?

I was hoping that I could set the sight axis last. Since I don't have any sight set up tools I have to shoot the bow to set the sight axis. So this is going to take some back and forth tuning to get things exactly right. Oh well I like to shoot anyway.

Here is a link to the Spot Hogg newsletter that discusses cam lean:

http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletters...wsletter_5.php

It will tell you more than I can.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Jim,

I had the same problem with the 27's and finally realized that my top cam was leaning pretty bad. A little twisting up of one leg of the buss cable and the bare shaft immediately started grouping with the fletched.

Obviously, your problem may be something else, but it's one thing to check.

Allen

Consider this your neck hug of the day. I looked at the top cam and it was lined up great with the string. I had read that if the top cam was leaned so that an arrow placed on the sight side of the bow would point toward the nock a little that it would improve nock travel. Well I put one twist in the right side of the split yoke and the distance between the bare shaft and fletched arrow decreased from 6" to 2". I then checked the center shot of the bow and the rest was at 13/16" from the riser which is pretty close to where it should be. I came back in the house and put another 1/2 twist in the right side of the yoke and then the bare shaft and fletched arrow were hitting together.

It has taken a while to get thing right but now I can shoot and know that if a shot goes wrong it is my fault and not the tuning of the bow.

Thanks everyone.

Jim, I'm glad it worked out for you. I know the feeling when you finally get something right after it's been a puzzle.

Don't anybody think that I'm a tuning guru. I'm not. Just one thing that worked for me and fortunately, worked for Jim. When it comes to tuning, I get by, but I'm not fit to carry JAVI's allen wrench.

Allen, That tuning tip sure worked great for me. I think that it will be part of my tuning from now own. I will probably be putting the rest at the recommended center shot and then using the yoke to adjust the horizontal impact.

I have already passed this tip along and will continue to pass it along. Some will benefit from it and some wont but that is the way life is.

Thanks again and have a great day.