You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: my first 3d

no sight no panic

Default my first 3d

I'm 50 years old been shooting nothing but spots for 25 years but my son and i are going to shoot a 3d in June. But i find myself scared already about doing this, i am afraid of loosing arrows and just making a fool of my self. For the past 7 years i have shot compound barebow but now its back to sights and release so i am busy sighting in. Any suggestions on calming an old goats nerves? How was it for your first time?
    hoyt meridian
    pse magna flite
    release: the one GOD gave me

Go have fun. It is easier than spots. I didn't start until I was 48. My boy's were 10 when they started and now are 14.
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Default First time

Maybe just shoot a fun round. Shoot from a comfort distance for you the first time out. Judging yardage is the key.

Have some good Binos to see where to hit.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

just remember everyone out there has missed in the past and will miss in the future. we all put are pants on one leg at a time

If your a old spot shooter, you should have no problems with 3d. The only people watchin you shoot are the people in your group, so if your comfortable shooting in front of them then a 3d shoot is almost stress free. That big foam animal looks like a huge target after staring at a small x all winter.

Have fun 3d's a nice break from standing on line shooting 3 or 5 arrows at a time at 20 yards.

Just go enjoy yourself. As stated above, bring a pair of binos, and yardage judging is the key. The targets don't move or bleed, so no worries if you muff a shot. It's fun!
    FBSA Member

Been there & done that Skydog. I started out as a barebow compound. ' I'd take half a dozen arrows & come back with one or two. Since I've switched over to release & sights I'm wondering why I'm toting around an additional arrow. Like they say, most people go to have fun & It really doesn't matter what they think. ( I'm 50+ & still make some dumb shots)

It was the same way for me the first time too. I shot where I was comfortable and I bought cheap arrows first so if I loss it I didn't feel so bad. Have fun skydog.
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 100# Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x50 Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboy 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    TenPoint SteddyEddy Monopod