You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Sitting & Kneeling Shots

Last four 3-D shoots I've participated in, there were several kneeling and sitting shots which I consistently shot low at all yardages. I shoot better kneeling on both knees in the same posture I use for standing. Sitting is about the same. I can shoot tighter 3-shot groups kneeling than standing.
    Wonder why that is?
    My knees are sore after a week of practice, but I think I have a handle on it now. 1" low at 20-25, 2" low at 30-40.
    Is it worth building a platform 8-12' high for stand shots? Were there any at Paris this year? Got some nice big pitz-Elms that I can string some 2X6 between and deck out...probably fall out too...

Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    Last four 3-D shoots I've participated in, there were several kneeling and sitting shots which I consistently shot low at all yardages. I shoot better kneeling on both knees in the same posture I use for standing. Sitting is about the same. I can shoot tighter 3-shot groups kneeling than standing.
    Wonder why that is?
    My knees are sore after a week of practice, but I think I have a handle on it now. 1" low at 20-25, 2" low at 30-40.
    Is it worth building a platform 8-12' high for stand shots? Were there any at Paris this year? Got some nice big pitz-Elms that I can string some 2X6 between and deck out...probably fall out too...
    You should never see a kneeling, or stand shot in a National Pro/Am... and none of the pissy little 3 foot shots either..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    You should never see a kneeling, or stand shot in a National Pro/Am... and none of the pissy little 3 foot shots either..
    I can appreciate that in the pros
    but for the everyday shooter
    a small shot is a good training aid for the snake or some close shot tha could happen chance

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I've never seen any "pissy little 3 foot shots" in any comp I've been in. Hell, we don't shoot rattlesnakes, we grab'em by the tail, whirl'em around, and pop their heads off...kinda like a bull whip.
    That just doesn't make sense to me. 3-D is supposed to be about what would be in a hunting enviornment, not a FITA event.
    Guess ya'll pros with the 4' stabs and handle-bars can't get yer pants dirty or climb a ladder up a tree?
    Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful...

I've never seen any "pissy little 3 foot shots" in any comp I've been in. Hell, we don't shoot rattlesnakes, we grab'em by the tail, whirl'em around, and pop their heads off...kinda like a bull whip.
    That just doesn't make sense to me. 3-D is supposed to be about what would be in a hunting enviornment, not a FITA event.
    Guess ya'll pros with the 4' stabs and handle-bars can't get yer pants dirty or climb a ladder up a tree?
    Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful...
    I think it’s a matter of perception, some people shoot 3-D as practice for hunting and some shoot it as a competition.. The national level tournaments in the ASA are about competitive archery and are not practice for anything…
    And I’ve shot many local tournaments over the years that have had what some call FUN shots with turkey or some other small target with a quarter sized 10-ring at 3 to 9 feet which some folks find a challenge… I once shot a state championship that had two of these shots in 30 targets.. if you know the secret to parallax then theses are gimme shots and silly… If you don’t then they are 5’s….
    If you enjoy risking you health climbing up in a tree stand to shoot foam targets then more power to you, I’ll pass and as for crawling around on my knees to shoot foam for fun… pass on that too.
    About the long stabilizer, my hunting bow has a short one.. My competition bows have long ones… I just know the difference between hunting and competition and keep them separate..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I think it’s a matter of perception, some people shoot 3-D as practice for hunting and some shoot it as a competition.. The national level tournaments in the ASA are about competitive archery and are not practice for anything…
    And I’ve shot many local tournaments over the years that have had what some call FUN shots with turkey or some other small target with a quarter sized 10-ring at 3 to 9 feet which some folks find a challenge… I once shot a state championship that had two of these shots in 30 targets.. if you know the secret to parallax then theses are gimme shots and silly… If you don’t then they are 5’s….
    If you enjoy risking you health climbing up in a tree stand to shoot foam targets then more power to you, I’ll pass and as for crawling around on my knees to shoot foam for fun… pass on that too.
    About the long stabilizer, my hunting bow has a short one.. My competition bows have long ones… I just know the difference between hunting and competition and keep them separate..
    Geez, didn't mean to pitz you off. Need a hug?

i usually answer questions more to the hunter type shooter . in the 15 years that ive had my shop i can think of only 2 tournament shooters that have come in and they were spot shooters . they tried to tell the guys that were shooting league that they were showing bad form . they guys told them why dont you go get your bows and show us hows its done . couldnt beleive there reply they said we dont do this type of shooting and i havent seen them since. we have shots every couple weeks that are in the 3 to 5 yard range . they shooters love them say they now know why they have missed close shots .

Geez, didn't mean to pitz you off. Need a hug?
    Not you personally. I'm just tired of the crap about competitive archery being practice for hunting just because you have a bow in your hand..

To my thinking, hunting is the "seeking"... after I "find" it is just another target.

And for those who want to use your hunting equipment for competitive archery, go for it... that can be fun too.. I still wouldn't call it practice for hunting.. but I 'spect it is gonna make you a better shot once the "seeking" is done and the target is before of you...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

up in our area it probably 99 pct practice for hunting and fun.i dont have one person thats interested in shooting anything other than the local shoots ( the farthest weve gone is the rinehart 100 about 225 miles ).and i have a couple people that could probably hold there own agains almost anyone .

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    up in our area it probably 99 pct practice for hunting and fun.i dont have one person thats interested in shooting anything other than the local shoots ( the farthest weve gone is the rinehart 100 about 225 miles ).and i have a couple people that could probably hold there own agains almost anyone .
    I can understand folks who use their hunting rig exactly as it is used for hunting going out and shooting at foam for practice to kill stuff. But once you start fiddling with the equipment to make it easier to score well on the foam, you should just admit you is a target shooter and go for it...

When I shoot my hunting bow at foam it is exactly as I use it to kill stuff with it except of the field tips.. same 519 grain arrows, same stabilizer, same sight, same poundage, same peep... all same, same... otherwise I just use my competition bows...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

8 years ago my guys were 100 pct hunters took there bows out a week or so before season and back in the case after they shot there deer . now alot of them are target shooters like you say but they wouldnt amit it or travel a long way to prove there abilities . the range has made them competitive with each other and most of them have two bows now. they do have all the bells and whissles at least most of them except for the power lenses and long stabilizers.one of my shop shooters shot his first 5 spot tourny here last year . we had them now for 2 years and only get a dozen or so to shoot.his very first round was a 300 with 52 xs . said he would stay with the 3d 5 spot was not for him .to reduntant go figure .

Down here, 3-D has turned into a sport...short of hunting season. Lots of people who don't hunt, still compete in 3-D, but don't like FITA type rounds because it's too many arrows, and they can't shoot 3 or 4 ends consistently.
    Plus, the camo looks out of place in FITA.
    I'd like to see a FITA type competition with "hunter" class bows instead of the "open" type. Maybe 3 ends of 4 arrows at 40-50-60 yards for $$.
    Hell, you say ""money shoot," and these people are all over it like ticks on a 'coon hound.
    Just good clean fun for the family and the kids. I love to see the 8-10 year olds stickin' a foam hog at 15 yards.
    Power to the powerless...

3d is target practice for me, not really hunting practice, mostly because my hunting is the buzzard type.
    3d here has darn few elevated shots, no kneeling shots , and no "putting them down" close shots either.
    I use the same set-up for both though.
    FBSA Member

We don't do "putting down shots."
    Just whip out the trusty old Bowie knife, grab that buck by the horn, and cut his throat.
    He usually goes down after he fugs you up just a little...

we all have the parts we dont like .shot my first outdoor of the year . missed 1st by 10 points . totally missed a moving target at 20 yards . hate those targets how do you practice for them . each one we shoot is different . i would rateher shoot at a steel target with a quarter size hole at 25 yards than a moving target .

Default Rubber Bands

According to the Health and Fitness can make all that difference in one's life. Healthy living is all that one needs, and to achieve that we picked up the best of the articles from reliable sources and have presented here in an organized manner. You might not be able to spend your valuable time on complicated medications and diet controls, but, you can find articles to help you have a better living using simple and easy technics.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

If they are shot soley for competitive archery, why are they shot uphill or downhill or even across hill instead of on flat even ground?
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

i love those shots - Tree branch in your way, dont crouch, just sit on your heels.. and especially if its windy, and you keep swaying, just drop to your knees and sit on your heels, that way there isn't so much for the wind to move..
    I learned this from one of the best years ago, Wrenetta Ketcher, God rest her soul, she was a huge influence on me.

Its not about IF you would use it hunting or not, or in a competition...... Its about challenging yourself and having fun doing it.
    New Breed Archery
    Gold Tip - Spot-Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    If they are shot soley for competitive archery, why are they shot uphill or downhill or even across hill instead of on flat even ground?
    Same reason field is shot under the same conditions... in the beginnig it was as practice for hunting and then it became a competition.. and no longer practice.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

In our local clubs league we have a sit downer or a couple kneeling shots each week. My knees and ankles are shot from years of injurys. I shoot like crap from my knees. If I ever have to kneel in my tree stand I guess Im screwed.

One of the positive sides of the IBO shoots. No tree branchs and holes threw fence's to shoot through. Plain old elthical shots.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER